• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

randob300

Reaction score
picture046zh5.jpg

^ That's an awesome looking coat. Nice score!

randob300

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MKB
Blatantly stolen from AAAC, but I thought this was a great idea. What are the strangest/coolest/most mundane things you've found in the pockets of thrifted clothes? Money? Jewelry? Condoms(new, hopefully)? Gum wrappers? I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of interesting stuff that's been discovered. My biggest finds so far have been a program for a wedding and reception(these people had everything planned out to the smallest detail), and an old lapel pin for PanAm Airlines. Can anyone top that?

I found a ticket stub for a show dated four days before I bought the jacket. Guess he decided right then and there he didn't want it anymore.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
Are samuelsohn suits worth picking up? I just saw three at the last store I was at. I also saw a beautiful and recent PRL SC with a ticket pocket, double vent, skinny lapel, etc. except the cuff was damaged at the edge, so I wasn't sure I could resell. I would have bought it if it were my size, but it wasn't even close.

Edit: I just looked at the hierarchy thread. I see HF mainline suits EVERYWHERE. Should I be taking them to resell?

Samuelsohn is best known as Paul Stuart's Canadaian maker. In the wider ebay world, this is pretty obscure. Even Paul Stuart is not a well known national brand. Also IMO, Samuelsohn styling does not age as well as Paul Stuart.

H-F is fairly well known as a national brand, but still does not do very well.

Check ebay completed sales for more info.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MKB
Blatantly stolen from AAAC, but I thought this was a great idea. What are the strangest/coolest/most mundane things you've found in the pockets of thrifted clothes? Money? Jewelry? Condoms(new, hopefully)? Gum wrappers? I'd be willing to bet there's a lot of interesting stuff that's been discovered. My biggest finds so far have been a program for a wedding and reception(these people had everything planned out to the smallest detail), and an old lapel pin for PanAm Airlines. Can anyone top that?

Money, multiple times
Old, old ticket stubs - baseball games from the 60's, opera from the 40's, other similar things
Lots of wedding programs.
Pictures / slides - photos were from the late 60's
Glasses
Lots of other weird stuff I'm forgetting

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Two best things that come to mind: - $100 bill in a pair of seafoam Polo shorts - $10 note from the First National Bank of Minnesota (1904). Came from the inside pocket of a morning coat dated 1909 I picked up from the Halloween costume rack at the Salvation Army.
That's very cool! I've only ever found a crumpled, soiled $1 bill (recent). Other than that I found a detailed patient's record rolled up in what must have been a doctor's sportcoat. I actually didn't take the coat, but took the record and shredded it. I wonder how much that $10 note is worth today?

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Money, multiple times...

Not to be too mercenary, but how much total would you say?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
I went to Buffalo Exchange and spent way too much money: 87 bucks on two items. Military jacket that fits PERFECTLY. Ridiculously perfectly in all aspects. As snug as can be everywhere... It is marked as a 39R, but it's way snugger than that with tons of waist suppression. The actual measurements for it that matter for size are C: 40 W: 33.5!! (ridiculous drop)
2efnvvt.jpg

That is the jacket for a US Marine Corps enlisted Service A class uniform. Think of it as the jacket portion of a uniform which is equivalent to a business suit. The rest of the uniform consists of matching trousers, a long sleeve khaki shirt, a khaki tie, black shoes and a cover. The rank of the previous owner is Lance Corporal (E-3). FWIW, and I seriously don't mean to be an ass about this, but I would suggest that you do not wear that item under any circumstance. Marines take their uniforms and traditions very seriously. I assure you that many would see your wearing the jacket as offensive and disrespectful. Others would see it as simply inappropriate. BTW, if you remove the rank on each sleeve, that jacket still signifies a rank because a private (E-1) has no chevrons. IIRC, the buttons on this uniform have an early version of the Marine Corps emblem (eagle, globe and anchor). The Marine who owned it earned the right to wear the Marine Corps emblem, and that uniform.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
That's very cool!

I wonder how much that $10 note is worth today?

I have no idea, but check any pockets of old garments. I found another old tux jacket from the same era (may even be a 1909 as well IIRC) that had an old note of some sort in it. Can't recall what it was, but it went right to my "safe keeping" lock-box.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a pack of camel cigs from the 60's, un opened in a suit coat.

I have to admit, I smoked one.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

worship.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best I could do was a couple of business cards until I found $3 once.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit

How was it rabbit?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
How was it rabbit?

I'm sure he felt just like McQueen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads