1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Screen shots saved to iPhone photo gallery. Thanks Nat! I see camo constantly, and always wonder.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Actually thinking about convincing the wifey to go for a thrifting/waffle adventure this Saturday morning. Last time was her first WH experience....and she is hooked.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Anyone have any Chick-fil-a coupons? I was considering buying some, but if anyone has a few around that they won't use, it would be great! Also, do they have them in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, California or Oregon?

I have some Steak 'n Shake coupons ready for the Midwest!

Really interesting and informative, Nat! Thanks for this! These are the reasons that people are told to start at the beginning and read the entire thread!

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I can probably get you some, we just had one open down in town. We can also eat at my buddy's Chic-fil-a next Wednesday if you want. We will be close by.

5. HansderHund

Absolutely, unless there is a better place!

For the crowds: We're doing a meetup in (relatively) rural PA :slayer:

6. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

In the field, would anyone be able to give me an authenticity check on this LV tie?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Honestly, I eat (or at least get a drink) there almost every time I go up that way. It's only about 200 feet out of the way of my northern loop. I like to support the business of a childhood friend.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. HansderHund

We (my wife and I) love the restaurants. They're always clean and polite, even if it's a 16 year old working and offer wi-fi. I love the business model and even tip. I know they've been in the news, but I love people dedicated to their work and that take the customer serious.

I've written to the corporate office about pleasant experiences and they've always responded. I saw a YouTube video about a guy complaining about their political stance to a drive-through window and the employee kept her composure the entire time...they really earned my respect in regards to job-dedication.

1 person likes this.
  9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If you haven't joined in on the fun yet, now is the time! It's not too late to get started on the 3rd round of the

Thrifter's Scavenger Hunt

It would be nice to get a bunch more of you doing these. It's really a lot of fun.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I have personally found good items I would not have found if I had not been doing the hunt.

2 people like this.
  10. HansderHund

The content tag has the correct colors, but I think it's a fake due to a few other issues.

1 person likes this.
  11. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Thanks. That was my suspicion as well - don't know too much about the brand but the lettering looks "cheap" for lack of a better descriptor, and I thought having the logo/brand upside down on the tipping was weird.

12. HansderHund

No problem. The keeper is way off as well...the stitching is shoddy, they don't use the LV there (generally) and you should find a nice logo in the short blade.

A general tip for lux brands is that they go out of their way to be lux. Sure, you'll find cheaply made things that are expensive, but the true brands will make sure everything looks clean/expensive through and through.

13. jtwilcox

jtwilcox Member

After some low-level "thrills" on my first few hunts, I'm definitely realizing that I would rather look for nice stuff that fits me and looks good rather than always hunting down those BRANDS (unless I see something really, really good) and then worrying about trading/flipping/etc..

That being said, I have a few more items here that are too big for me. I'm wondering if you guys think any of it is at all flippable. If not, I'll probably see if any of it fits my father-in-law.

I realize probably none of this stuff is noteworthy, so just give it to me straight. I'm still trying to get my bearings. Thanks.

I would have (should have?) left these but just that morning you were all talking about somebody making a surprising amount on a BP tie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a small rubber-ish label on the bottom corner that says "POLO 67." Is this at all notable or just a standard thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. HansderHund

I can only comment on the following: Brioni shirt is fine. I'm not sure whether it's for yourself or to flip. It's a staple color and a normal size. If it's in decent condition, it's a great pickup. The sweater looks great. If you're flipping, you might have to hold onto it for a couple of weeks, but it will certainly sell. If not, it should trade here. Nice finds !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  15. HansderHund

Out of curiosity, does anyone here do Birchbox? They aren't offered here yet, but I have a proxy and was thinking about getting a yearly subscription for both the men and women's box. Any thoughts?

16. jtwilcox

jtwilcox Member

Thanks! And thanks to others who have PMed me with additional tips. Pretty much what I expected, and good to know going forward. Dang, you're all just so damned nice. I'm headed over to the west side of Michigan for the weekend and will be hitting some stores out there to see what I can dig up.

Also, I hadn't heard of https://www.birchbox.com before, and it looks pretty cool. I'd also be interested in knowing what people thought.

17. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I still refuse to get these. I dont care how much SPOO got with all his black magic!

1 person likes this.
  18. klay49

klay49 Senior member

I have been catching up on the last couple of pages and see a lot of people exspressing their graditude to the great members of this forum. I would also like to add a sincere thank you. I normally just read and try to asorb what I can. When I occasionally post itis usually with a question and everybody is always extremely helpful. So thanks again.

As a token of my appreciation I am making a donation in all of your names to The Human Fund. Now for the question... Oprphan, SC or SC'able orphan?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

Plain toe, shell cordovan Hanovers in my size! I really had to work to clean them up, but I think they turned out pretty nice.

[​IMG]

20. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I hit a final sale for a local independent menswear store. Most things were 50-60%. They had some wings & horns chinos for $99. Lots of suits and SCs in that sale range.

But with my thrift store trained eye I managed to find the one gem: a NWT Canali. Either because of the fabric (POW check) or the size (50 (EU) L) it was 85% off retail.

[​IMG]

I also pulled a Gant Rugger flannel for fall/winter for 60% off retail. I'm on the fence between keeping and flipping. The clincher might be that they sales clerk removed all the tags so bye-bye NWT.

[​IMG]

Two ties from the $10 box. I've seen ties for more at the thirfts.
    A Ted Baker with a vespa scooter for flipping and an Ike Behar silk/linen blend for me.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.