1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

The fabric content tag is off--from what I understand, it should only say silk in English and French (not Italian or German). There is no accent on the second "e" in Hermes (though this might not be definitive), and it's "Made in Paris". Finally, the handrolled edges don't look to be as high-quality as you would expect from Hermes.

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

@eazye:

I had read that. In fact, the area above the broguing had a heavy build up of polish. It felt almost sticky. I used acetone to try to cut it down some, but it was my first time using it on a shoe, I was cautious. after spending about 2 hours cleaning and removing build up an another 90 minutes per shoe buffing, they still need work.

If I were keeping them, I'd have new heels put on and then have the cobbler professionally polish them.

As it is, I order a set of 3 polishing attachments for a drill to hopefully speed that process up in the future.

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks for this. I remember reading about the accent, but didn't remember when I bought it. Pix doesn't do justice, but the art is crisp. Oh, well. Only out a couple of bux. Thanks, again.

4. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

The e in Hermès needs an accent, from what I understand.

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Well, you learn something new everyday! Not that I've ever seen a Hermes scarf in the wild.

6. suited

suited Senior member

Interesting to see the pricing difference between Last Call and TJ Maxx...based on what I've seen from most brands, if there's a Last Call and a TJ Maxx near you and you want ties, it would probably be prudent to just go to the Last Call and have a huge selection of great ties and pay $20 more, instead of having to repeatedly hit up TJ Maxx to hopefully find a good tie that's not damaged.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Must have been tie day...

VV, RLPL (N/A), LB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thomas Pink, EZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And...I *think* my first grenadine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL Rugby Shirt 15 / 32-33 (available)
    [​IMG]

Cool BB jacket with removable lining, good bit of collar wear that is going to need some work. (available)
    [​IMG]

And, in the sunshine state...there should be more of these found. Mezlan Gator 10.5 (available)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Campbell95

Campbell95 Member

So I went to my first thrift store this morning and picked up a pair of black Zegna slacks (size 36). I would post multiple pictures, but I don't know how. They look and feel great, though they are a bit big for me. Can I tailor them and make them smaller?

9. Campbell95

Campbell95 Member

That Bergdorf Goodman tie is nice! Not sure i like the red though as I don't see it going with too many shirts or suits.

10. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

It really depends on how much tailoring is needed. Are the slacks recent or dated? How big is "a bit"?

If you think every nice thing you pick up can be tailored to fit you, save your money. Your closet will fill with lots of nice stuff that doesn't quite fit the way you'd like and your tailor will be rich. Instead, trade it here or wait until you find something in your size that only needs a little alteration to be perfect. You will be much happier and have more money in your wallet as a result, too. I want to say pants can be tailored looser or tighter about 1-2" without looking awkward. Anything more than that and it starts to look off.

2 people like this.
  11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Oh man! Wow! Those are some grail finds for me. Mister Freedom is at the top of my want list. :slayer: And that Anarchronorm top... Serious :drool:
    Wow, talk about a haul! :slayer:
    Look real to me. Nice find! :slayer:
    Awesome! PM sent. Also, I will make a follow up post for reference purposes if anyone is interested in a quick visual guide. Those vintage hunting jackets sound amazing! One crazy donation or just a vintage honey hole?

12. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

RG jacket!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made in england sweater
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CJ suede chukkas.
    what size a 9?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Thrift fit x-post

Everything thrifted by me, bar the shirt, which was an ebay steal.
    Zegna suit
    Barba shirt
    RLP tie
    no name PS
    Zegna shoes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

^ This is great advice. I'll also say it's worthwhile to establish a good relationship with both a proper tailor AND a good alterationist.

My tailor does bespoke work and I trust him and his son with tricky work or to get an opinion on how something should fit. They'll also advise me on everything from fabrics to how good/poor something looks. They're definitely more expensive.

Since I don't hem my own pants even, I use an alterationist to do basic work on the cheap. I'll often do my own measurements and give exact details. They work pretty cheap.

Both certainly have their value and it's much easier when you get to know someone.

1 person likes this.
  15. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Looks good man

16. Campbell95

Campbell95 Member

It's maybe an inch or two too long and the waist is maybe an inch and a half too wide. Maybe I'll just take them to EBay. These are in great condition and even pressed. Oh and is EBay frowned upon here? I still have some etiquette that I undoubtedly need to learn.

17. Campbell95

Campbell95 Member

Thanks for the advice! My dad used to live in San Fran (where I was born) as well as Dallas and as a result 90% of his wardrobe is from either Wilkes Bashford, Button Down, or Cullwell and Son. He has taught me a lot about how to dress and what kind of clothes I need to look for, but I'm off topic. He has a great relationship with tailors at Culwell and Son and they will often alter something for free or just tell him to take something because of how often he shops there.

18. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Glad to help. It sounds like you have a good start to things. That said, the work to your pants doesn't sound too drastic and could be workable. You can always post fit pics here or in the tailors' thread for opinions.

Make sure you browse the entire site, including the WAYW threads to get a good idea of fit and coherence.

As far as ebay talk, many frown upon it though it's inevitable. There is a thread (see the link in my signature) that is exclusively ebay.

Welcome to the forum!

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If you ever come across old camo/military stuff and wonder what the hell you're looking at and if it's worth anything, click on the spoiler below.

My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. :fu: :brick:

[​IMG]

Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.

[​IMG]

Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.

[​IMG]

The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):

[​IMG]

A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.

[​IMG]

This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.

[​IMG]

A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  20. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Really cool.

Since this appears in the thread from time to time... figured some of you would want a bite to eat while thrifting... salt on the wound for Spoo, though.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.