1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I mentioned this woman's overcoat I picked up last week. Benetton, size 38Eu. 80/20 wool/nylon.

Added a vintage London Fog rain coat with hidden buttons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, I had a tie I forgot to post.

Brooks Brothers.
    [​IMG]

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

From my brief research (being wikipedia) HSM acquired Society in 1951. Not sure if that has much to do with it but the coat is extremely soft, extremely heavy, and extremely warm.

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

An now for Jackets

Brooks Brothers - 1818 madison navy blazer, fleece logo buttons, size 41.

[​IMG]

herringbone tweed - Brooks Brothers - Vintage, 42 Long

[​IMG]

Bluish Green tweed, 3 button.

[​IMG]

Black Cashmere Sports coat, buttons look like shell or MOP. Never heard of Alan Lebow, but Hartz?

[​IMG]

Rainforest shirt jacket that I'll keep as a knockabout jacket.

[​IMG]

4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

This will be my last post of my first week of thrifting.
    Shirts this round. Nothing exceptional, but the JA golf shirts still have the creases from the original folds. Plus, size M is my size so if they don't sell, I keep them.

2 vinyard vines, in my brothers size. The long sleeve polo looks new and the ralph lauren plaid looked interesting. My daughter got those (XXL) for her husband, but turns out he's a XXX long.

All shirts were $3.42 each.

[​IMG]

The JA golf shirts.

[​IMG]

And a couple JA long sleeves. First is Chambray with nut buttons and the 2nd is obviously paisley

[​IMG]

a couple bobby jones shirts. One golf and two cotton. The blue is a chambray with a paisley overprint in burgundy/ plum.

[​IMG]

An then we have a boss casual tailored shirt along with a Bugatchi Uomo shirt.

[​IMG]

Feedback appreciated. My inclination will be to see the JA golf shirts as a set and the same with the 2 tailored bobby jones shirts.

5. cakebug

cakebug Member

Any 58XL's out there? For some perspective, the model is 5'8".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. Mister Squishy

Mister Squishy Active Member

Loro Piana Olympic Horsey Jacket. Buttons, zippers, & details galore. Nylon exterior with a leather(?) collar & a cotton/cashmere liner. Hello, mortgage payment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pristine, unused Imperials (keeping). How old can they be? I'm guessing they're not shell due to a wee bit of creasing, correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took a cheap gamble on a black Gucci with seemingly nice buttons & thick twill. Likely a fake?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. suited

suited Senior member

Congrats on the house!

8. bboowwyy

bboowwyy Senior member

New E. Zegna Couture french cuff shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1 all around. That Vicuna post must have gotten held up in review. That is an EPIC find. And its def worth reweaving. Reweavers don't buy new fabric. they take swatches from parts of the garment itself. so they might shorten the jacket a tad, but on an overcoat, that's probably ok.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I truly understand that. This was the best of what was available. Still, I hope that with my cost basis, bundling 2-3 like items, paying for shipping, I might still do alright on the flip.

My total thrift outlay is around $150, so if I make that back, get a flow for photographing, measuring and posting, it is a very cheap education.

Plus, I will send any nice brands to you or Señor Spoo to maximize return on any premium brand items I find.

The only purchase I thought might be worth a bit more was the Benetton coat for ladies.

Maybe I should call my effort "Pretty Decent Stuff" as I resell my 300 Nordstrom, Ike behar, and prl shirts. Not top brands, but good, solid stuff.

12. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Abito Privato is also really good, and I'd add the 'Lab' line as well because it's more youthful and fashion-forward.

Nowadays though I leave almost all PZ at the store because the heathens just don't appreciate it for whatever reason.

(Been trying to sell a pair of NWOT silk/wool pants for six months now... nada. If anyone (48C, or 33/31) wants them for cost+shipping get at me.)

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Maybe the Vineyard Vines, but even those you might sell for $30. After eBay fees, paypal fees and your original cost you might take home $15 - $20. Which is not bad if you are making a business of it and doing serious volume. As a hobby, I don't know that I would bother. But for keeping? The whole reason I started thrifting was to get the Macy's crap out of my closet and replace it with Borrelli, Kiton, and Brioni not replace it with other lower end stuff.

1 person likes this.
  14. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

15. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Anyone have any recommendations on this? The Vicuna coat I found this spring has at least one small moth hole on the back and it'd be worth having someone good do it.

16. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Where is all this vicuna coming from?

17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

The problem is nobody wants what you have to sell, do a search for "Joesph Abboud Golf" and you will find bundles of 3 shirts. I see one group sold for $23.56, after your cost

$23.56 + $7 shipping
    - $10.26 your cost
    - $3.00 eBay Fee (~10%)
    - $0.90 Paypal fee (~3%)
    --------------------------
    $9.40 "Profit"

That won't even cover your time and energy. So unless you have the time to hit 10 thrifts a day and purchase 100+ shirts every week take the pictures, list them etc... You will not make any worthwhile money buying that low end stuff to resell as a hobby. I have a huge corner of my basement filled with better stuff than that, I just have no time or patience to list my shirts or pants. It doesn't make sense to send them to a consignor because after shipping them and the consignors fee you won't make any money, and really they aren't going to waste their time on a mid-range shirt unless I bundle it with some high end stuff as well.
    Also, if you want to continue this conversation it should be moved to the Buying and Selling on eBay thread.

1 person likes this.
  18. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Mine was a vintage Hickey Freeman found in Red Wing, MN. Custom from some men's store in Iowa.

19. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Good advice all.

Thank you.

20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Undoubtedly an orphan.
    Congrats!
    Vicuna! Wow! :slayer: Hart, Schaffner, and Marx was one of the top-tier quality RTW makers in the '30s and '40s. Started to go downhill somewhat in the '60s, IMO. All the vintage Society Brand stuff I've seen has been pretty good.
    :rotflmao:
    Yes. Send to a good reweaver and ask for an estimate. I use http://www.fabricreweaversusa.com. They're slow, but they do good work. There's also one in Cali that some folks here have used.
    My mom sent me this alternative to The Treatment: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2011/11/goodbye-to-yellow-armpit-stains.html Haven't tried it yet, but I might give it a shot and see if it works as well.
    :nodding:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.