1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I assume you found my listing for the John Comfort dolphin tie. Haven't had any bites on it, but some of the other JC ties I had did fairly well.

Also....these silver label ties are pretty nice stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

You do so many things so well. :worship2: This is not one of them, however. :eh: I was going to post a thread count update right after my back-to-school busy period (not many days off) was over. I'll let this encroachment into my limited ability to add to this thread pass. THIS time! :paranoia:

:lol:

Cover the world!
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Only 5 or 6 participants the last two rounds. Do you think you've got what it takes to earn this pin? I do.

I dare you to take the challenge.

But seriously, everyone in here ought to be giving these hunts a try. They are a lot of fun and more challengers the better.

5. jtwilcox

jtwilcox Member

Oh yeah, I guess I should say these are all "available" although I don't know much about trading around here.

Also, when I was thrifting I passed a couple of Hickey Freeman sport coats, the label indicated they were made for department stores. I assumed this meant they weren't that nice, but is this something that should be picked up regardless? They seemed fine but nothing super noteworthy. Thank you for your sage wisdom, thrifting gurus.

6. FETIDI

FETIDI Member

Department stores regularly have their names on HF suits and sport coats. You will often see a label Hickey Freeman for Dillards or Barneys or Saks. The HF Ltd is not as good quality as the main line HF. There are also better or worse HF main line garments. The garments made for stores like Bergdorfs or Neiman Marcus often have more hand sewing than those made for less expensive retailers. The HF Ltd is all machine stitched on a par with HSM Golden Trumpeter suits. Both suits will give you good service and offer a "full" American cut. If you are a little thick in the middle they work well as they have a 6 inch drop.

7. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered what appears to be a Daiki Era Woolrich Woolen Mills Upland shirt for 15 bucks. Will report back when I receive it!

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

[​IMG]

Apologize if someone else has posted this WSJ story about how this woman built a $240M company in 7 years starting with what we do....livin' the dream.

It's kinda inspirational...

3 people like this.
  9. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Glad someone leapt on that, all the good stuff looks to be gone now, I don't understand how I didn't get more responses on that you guys should stop sleeping on deals, the only thing close to my size was the thom Browne shirt and that was like $45 so I wasn't about to drop that much since it is only like $20 less than what they seem to go for on eBay most of the time.

Also the nasty gal business model is different she did alterations and changed the clothes afaik no one here does that, my friends dad knows the nasty gal chick though I think he invested or something

BIG NEWS

Today was my first day of college I thought I would hate having a super early morning class and a super late night class but I was more awake than I thought this morning since I corrected my Econ professors graph. Now I have like 7 free hours in Berkeley and you better believe I am thrifting and will post a follow up later. I can't wait to move out next semester, also shout out to barrel, now that I am in Berkeley so much we should meet up an thrift if you are down to drive

10. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

NEED FIELD ID! Who did this one?

Dino Baldini, excellent fabric and handmade buttonholes. [​IMG]

11. RockyTop

RockyTop Well-Known Member

+1

1 person likes this.
  12. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I read that article from a Linkedin post. Really, really cool.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

Good for her! I guess it really is all about the pictures.......and investors. :D

14. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Bravo. This is the best that anyone has ever said it.

15. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

[​IMG]

Nice hemline. We all know the reason why men can't do the same thing: aside from the guys on this site (who couldn't even fill the seats in a high school gym), almost every other man out there spends 3 minutes/year shopping for clothes. And then god forbid if he pays, gasp, $60 for a pair of jeans. But for the other sex, daddy's credit card knows no limits.

16. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

[​IMG]

Nice hemline. We all know the reason why men can't do the same thing: aside from the guys on this site (who couldn't even fill the seats in a high school gym), almost every other man out there spends 3 minutes/year shopping for clothes. And then god forbid if he pays, gasp, $60 for a pair of jeans. But for the other sex, daddy's credit card knows no limits.

17. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

wtf

1 person likes this.
  18. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Happy Offensive Generalization Day?

19. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

This PZ is good? I have passed on it a couple times recently. Thought it was nothing special.

:fu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.