1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

We just need someone to take a pic of one from a BB store, but here's mine. Great pickup from Wes. We could all have the same fake. This tie is seriously well made, weighs as much as a Brioni.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...or did a troll just make us all take pics of our BB ties for his/her amusement? If so...
    [​IMG]

Quote: I really like the '70's looking Gitman one.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Your daughter will be happy with any profits, and if you save them she might have a Ferrari down the road! :evolve:

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Happily, she isn't a car person and wouldn't know a ferrari if she hit one in a parking lot. She just retired the civic I gave her when she turned 16 with 110K miles on it. I think she would be happy to cover her Sienna payment.

BTW, one of the things I haven't posted was a "made in tunisia of Benetton" woman's overcoat, full length, size 38 EU. its a camel color, 80% wool, 20% synthetic. In very good condition.

Any idea what something like that would be worth?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Lucky you (the daughter, not the coat). The coat - not a bunch, but sounds nice.

6. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

There was a Brooks Brothers silver label for tailored clothing which was higher quality and hand-tailored, usually by Martin Greenfield. I'm assuming this is just the tie version of that label, with higher quality fabrics plus being hand-made in Italy. Kind of like the Golden Fleece label is used for lots of different stuff which is just higher quality than the mainline.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Da fuq? Is that normal? I leave those all the time.

Doubtful. I avoid women's clothing personally, doesn't seem to sell as well given that I don't keep up on the trends and don't know that it's worth the extra time per store hoping to find just one of a few grail level brands that I know.

Regarding your list on buying precedence, I do same thing. First must be good brand, second must be in good condition with zero to very minimal rehab needed, third check for modern styling (which can be overridden is #1 is good enough).

8. DanM

DanM Senior member

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

investment was under $7 (the coat, not the daughter). hopefully get a 5x roi.

10. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

11. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

12. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

They have actually used that label on and off through their history. A quick search on Google turns up this version from the 1940's.

[​IMG]

So saying "Never" and "Always" usually makes you look like a tool. (Did you see how I used usually there)?

OOOhhh look another one on a tie with everything different from what you told us ALWAYS happens.

[​IMG]

Wow that took me exactly 2 minutes of research to figure out that everything you write is ALWAYS bullshit.

1 person likes this.
  14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

These are some of my finds from yesterday:

Everything is available for trade (Except the moleskin pants indicated)

Thomas Pink XXL
    [​IMG]

I normally leave the BB '346' stuff, but these were a nice heavy moleskin (I think it is anyway they are fuzzy and 100% cotton) 40x32
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found this other pair of pants that were really well made, never heard of the brand so eBay App to the rescue. J McLaughlin is a nice woman's brand who seems to be branching out into menswear. They do ok on the bay so luckily they were 36x34 which happens to be my size, so not available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul Smith festive shirt??? XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could be the tamest Robert Graham shirt I have ever seen... Size Small
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cabela's 2XL
    [​IMG]

Finally this was one of those 5 dollars never heard of it, can't find it on eBay but I am buying it anyway. Seemed decent quality and has Euro sizing. Anyone know if this is a decent brand or is it the Arrow of Europe?

[​IMG]

Those were all from my Saturday thrifting, today I went out with Thrift Thread regular Ocooney. Those pictures in a bit

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

"Originally Posted by dahl5yankees [​IMG]

A 2013 article on Watchdog.org reported that Goodwill's tax returns showed that more than 100 Goodwills pay less than minimum wage, while simultaneously paying more than $53.7 million in total compensation to top executives.[27] The former CEO of the Goodwill of Southern California was the highest paid Goodwill executive in the country. He received more than $1.1 million in total compensation. "In 2011, the Columbia Willamette Goodwill, one of the largest in the country, says it paid $922,444 in commensurate wages to approximately 250 people with developmental disabilities. These employees worked 159,584 hours for an average hourly wage of $5.78. The lowest paid worker received just $1.40 per hour"

Attached photo of my son Ryan, age 25, was taken this morning as we were leaving for Church. He has autism and some brain damage resulting from long periods of low oxygen as a premie.

[​IMG]

He works in a structured workshop that pays him about $2.50 an hour, depending on what he produces. Plus I pay $450 a month for him to work there. He is now ready to be mainstreamed into a job. So when you see the low hourly wage like in the goodwill example above, it is more than likely a remedial wage for very low performing adults. That is a good thing, not a bad thing. Independently, the CEO could be over paid, but there are clients, like my son, whose parents won't pay the $450 a month, and a place like goodwill still provides a safe, supervised work location that over time, could lead to a main stream job.

People like Ryan need organizations such as Goodwill and the community benefits from the opportunities and training they provide.

regards:

jb

7 people like this.
  16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

+1

17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

First I would just like to say that Ocooney is a very nice man and watching him in a thrift store is like watching a earthquake. He slowly and steadily moves through the store wreaking destruction on the profits of local flippers. The man missed nothing, and he did it in 1/3 of the time I do. I said there were a pair of EZ pants over there, and he said "the black ones that are almost see-through"? I didn't even see him hit the pants!!! Anyway I learned quite a bit watching him and hope to do it again sometime.

Everything below is available for trade.

We are walking down the aisle of Goodwill and there is a cart with new goods on it, I don't think he even looked but he's like "Oh you are a linen fan, this is linen" as he pulls a jacket off the cart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It fit me perfect except a little tight in the waist so a 44R with a 35 waist, motivation to get rid of the 15lbs I put on when I quit smoking a year ago...

Some dude realllllly liked Luciano Barbera, he gave up his entire collection I think. Grand total 1 suit, 1 jacket, 5 pants (left 1 due to a stain). Ocooney and I have a bet about the jacket, I didn't like it as I am not a fan of double breasted stuff but he thought it would flip well.

[​IMG]
    s
    [​IMG]

Luciano Barbera suit
    [​IMG]

4 pair of Luciano Barbera pants, size 50 on the khaki's and 52 for the cords in the back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT Polo wool dress pants Navy Blue (List price $265??? Really???) 34x32
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ralph Lauren Rugby Khaki's 30x30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Rugby item
    [​IMG]

First thing we do after meeting, we are chatting and he casually points and says if you want a sweater there is a Polo RL cashmere over there. XL
    [​IMG]

Finally a BB tie:
    [​IMG]

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Sounds like a man who knows his way around his territory.

Bravo on the finds.[​IMG]

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WTF!!!??? Dude, are you kidding me!!! I picked up a few BP for myself but damn!!! Good job, Spoo!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

I've been looking for quality over quantity lately, and it's been helping a lot. Two more finds from earlier today (or yesterday technically but whatever).

Super recent Brooks Brothers black Harrington jacket, with black seersucker lining. Mint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage PRL down-filled suede vest with plaid lining. SO COOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.