1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

First stop in LA. Recent Oxxford dual vent 3/2 1/4 lined - this is the Oxxford I pick up

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I generally concur with this. Keep 1 and 7. 7 fits you the best. 5 and 6 are ok. 4 is by far the worst fit.

3. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Only one find in one stop today:

[​IMG]
    Olive green Canali Sport pants (48 EU, measure to 33x32)

and for 99 cents couldn't pass up something to listen to on the way home
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. DanM

DanM Senior member

I picked up an older Corby press from Valley Thrift for $4. Works great, no complaints. Saw the same model at Goodwill on Saturday for $70.

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

6. FETIDI

FETIDI Member

I have been going to thrift shops for the past year as half the stuff I was purchasing on EBAY had moth holes or worse. I purchased two NWT OXXFORD sport coats on EBAY in the past and they both had moth holes in them. The sellers immediately refunded the money including shipping costs and told me to keep the items. They obviously knew what they sold me. So by accident I wandered into a GOODWILL one day and have been hooked ever since. What I have noticed in the past couple of months is that the prices are up 25% to 100% and many items have the accursed red tags which are rarely discounted. I am not a "flipper" but buy for myself and my son. Today for example I found two CHARLES TYRWHITT shirts in my size 16x34 in excellent condition with the laundry tags still on them. Even with a 25% discount they were still $6 which is still a decent buy. The same shirt new on the TYRWHITT website is $50 on sale so $6 is a good buy. I almost never buy ties but the local GW'S are starting to place $6 price tags on them. I can not complain as I have found some really great stuff for really low prices so I guess I am a bit spoiled. But when you find an almost new BRIONI suit for $20 and HICKEY FREEMAN suits for the same or less I guess I should not complain. But it sounds like GOODWILL is changing their business model. Maybe they are trying to discourage "flipping" and are now targeting their pre EBAY traditional market of low income people and bargain hunters. Is anyone else seeing the same trend?

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I'm going out on a limb, but I don't think that all goodwills follow a standard pricing model. Only certain stores/regions make use of shopgoodwill.com, likewise only certain stores/regions are ramping up their prices to discourage the ebay crowd. My area has seen none of this (knock on wood) and I think they generally deal with such a high volume of inventory that figuring out ebay prices for every single item is unfeasible. While modest price increases are to be expected, I don't think Goodwills as a whole are going to move toward consignment store pricing.

8. DanM

DanM Senior member

Dude. I would be seeing $$$$$

9. talitashaloma

talitashaloma Active Member

Sorry to tell you this, but that Lanvin is not the one you're looking for. It's a phony.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Quadruple post--a new record, I think.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Double post

12. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Just a couple things today. Both available.

Rag & Bone green wool zip cardigan. Size L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thom Grey wool sweatshirt. Made in Japan. Size L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

They really fooled me! Even has a Union made label and Made in USA tag. That 70's styling must be hot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Nat- good taste, I tried both of these on the other night - I gotta lose some weight - too tight - haha

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I bought my steamer from GW at 1/2 price color (think it was $7.50). Apparently no one figured out that the next aisle over held cups & glasses, and at the back of the store was a water fountain. Got cup, filled with water, poured into steamer & plugged in - waited 30 seconds - hot steam by golly! Bought and used extensively since then.

17. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I like it! Very New York
    Love scallops! Preferred raw or lightly and quickly pan seared.
    PM!
    PM!
    :fu: Breaded? Fried? Oh my. You're killing the taste!
    Thrift fit looks good but you got to taper those jeans. I know that may not be your "style" but it'll look 100x better.
    Not to sh*t on anyone's find, but that Botega could easily be fake. I find fake Hermes, LV, Gucci bags all of the time. They're very hard to determine that they are fake though. I picked up a gorgeous briefcase today. Could be fake but if not, $$$$. Pics to come
    Fashion fwd label. Okay quality. Nothing special.

18. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Dude what are you thinking?!?!! Keep that. R&B stuff is so great, you'll regret passing it on.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:
    Beautiful!
    Thanks! Yeah, the Thom Grey is very slim. Fits like a M. :fu:
    Normally I'd hang onto such an awesome piece but my closet is over-flowing with sweaters and I'm pretty warm blooded so I don't wear them often. Even in the cold Minnesota winters, I'm be fine indoors with a L/S shirt and just toss a winter coat on top to go outside. I have an insane NWT B. Son angora/leather cardigan I picked up 4 years ago that I still haven't worn yet. Maybe this year....

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.