• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That is fixable.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm. Is that something a tailor can do or some kind of special reweaving required? How much do you think it would cost?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hm. Is that something a tailor can do or some kind of special reweaving required? How much do you think it would cost?

Pretty sure reweaving is your only option, and it will depend on the size of the hole. Count on at least $50, in my (limited) experience.

This is a bit dated, with the 6 over 1 buttoning. I'm guessing it's also unvented. So I'd probably strip the buttons.

Edit: To clarify: This is what I would do. if you like it, then keep it and get it rewoven.

Last edited:

yossi

Reaction score
So I've been assuming that anything Japanese selvedge = tonsodough on eBay, and thus pounced on these

when I found them tonight, despite that they were priced high, and despite a serious tear on the cuff.

Rivets galore, but otherwise unexceptional to my untrained eye. I haven't found much info about them online, though, and nothing at all on eBay. Anyone know anything about them?

Also found this vintage BB wing-collar tux shirt. (Available.)

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of old Brooks: I saw this shirt on Monday and immediately knew it was old...would love some help dating it, if anyone knows. Do we have a TyphyoidJones signal?

Anyhow, any help dating this would be great. Unlined collar, tag is definitely different, and it has a higher cut side shirt "tails" (or whatever they're called) than I've seen on other Brooks.

These ties were also there and I'm pretty sure they were from the same guy. They have the black caps script BB text, which I'm pretty sure is older. They're also skinnier and with thinner lining than newer ties...they're probably from near the same era as the shirt since I'm almost positive they're from the same guy. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure those skinny ties are from the 60's. I've handled a few of those. There's a website I ran across few months ago that dates all the BB tags. Let me see if I can find them...

More crappy YSL left behind.

WAIT WHAT???!!! Oh...I get it, you are trolling!
lol8[1].gif

Found this tie at Goodwill, nice, thick silk. The brown is nicer in person, the iphone didn't show it well. From what I could tell, it had never even been tied--or at least had no wrinkles in the knot area. Can you guys confirm it's actually Brioni? Any idea of a value if I go the ebay route (or here)?

It looks real but old. Does it have a serial number on the underside? It may or may not have it...More detailed pics will help. I've sold an ugly tie just like that on Ebay for $30.

OMG one of the best thrift days, evah. Among the pile, Incotex cords!!!! Are you kidding me? If you give me the unicorn pic, oh well, I wish I had time tonight to brag/post pics/all that stuff (although I am wondering if the lovely Isaia Napoli mint suit size IT64/drop 8L will have any takers...even Spoo says he hasn't ever seen one THAT big....any of you guys want pix or whatevah, PM me, I'll swap or sell for cost because it's a beautiful thing that should NOT go for cheap on eBay, it deserves a loving home).
Real reason I am poasting...discussion the other day between me and another local thrift denizen (friend, every bit the trad clothing diehard we are, would love to have him hang here but I haven't yet twisted his arm, he would LOVE you guys):
  • Him: I couldn't believe what happened at Savers the other day.
  • Me: Whut?
  • Him: I was competing with a family for a nice Zegna suit my size.
  • Me: Oh?
  • Him: Yeah. Perfect! It was new-ish, too, not the old 1980s crap.
  • Me: What was the deal?
  • Him: They were looking for a suit to bury some relative in. My logic was, they could have a perfectly decent looking Dior Monsieur or whatever, it's not like they needed it for the next 20 years, right?
  • Me: Word. That sucks.
Do you agree? Are we being a-holes about this? I know, ethical discussions bore some poasters but...this has been on my mind a few days and I wanted to put it to you guys for group moral judgment.

Yikes! They should use cremation, no suits, shirt, shoes, pants needed...Just a cardboard box.
nest.gif

Some stuff I found after work. I'm hoping the pants can be made to fit, although they're pleated. I'm going to work on the BB golden fleece, it has been starched to death and needs
treatment around the french cuffs. It will be available if it cleans up (it has a stain, too). The rest are unavailable.

Wow!

PM me for info on reweaving. There's a member on here does it for hobby. He does a damn good job, too!
biggrin.gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think a tailor would fix it for around $60, which probably wouldn't make sense if you plan to sell it. If it is your size and you would like to wear it, I think a do-it-yourself fix would be worth a try. I have never done it but I think there are a couple of ways to fix this at least to the extent that nobody would ever notice it when worn. And if the fix turns out to be not good enough you just harvest the buttons.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Found a trench that is nothing special except that it fits me almost perfectly. There is one issue with it and I figured I would get the best response in this thread. There's a hole in the fabric (material is waxy cotton?) and I was wondering if this is fixable and if so how much. Patching would be fine, I don't need a fix by a reweaver.

Last edited:

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Whut up...

Made a couple of returns today and decided to scour the rest of the store (i was there last night and handled only half)....this is what I found...

Levi's 501 Big E Selvage Jeans...

Any experts here?...
Wanna drop some knowledge on where these stand as far as date?

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Ken P Rocks!

I opened my door today to find my secret santa gift from him. I'm not the easiest guy to find stuff for size wise, but he came through. He found an awesome navy unstructured Tailor Byrd microcord sportcoat that fits almost perfectly (once I loose the holiday cookies, I'll be good to go!).

Another box held ties... A sweet BB makers tie that in a color range that my tie collection was lacking, and a freakin Brioni that is the secks.
Last but not least, a pack of polaroid 690 film that expired 12/08... Should be useable, and best of all, will rock some unpredictable results due to its age. To answer your question Ken, I have at least 5 cameras that'll take this kind of film.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whut up...

Made a couple of returns today and decided to scour the rest of the store (i was there last night and handled only half)....this is what I found...

Levi's 501 Big E Selvage Jeans...

Any experts here?...
Wanna drop some knowledge on where these stand as far as date?

Not an expert here but the easiest way to tell if they are pre 1997 is to see if the "levis.com" tag exist. If it's there, it's a good indication it's at least from after 1997. That's when the interwebzz were born. What country was this made in? The easiest way to date them is by serial number.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure reweaving is your only option, and it will depend on the size of the hole. Count on at least $50, in my (limited) experience.
This is a bit dated, with the 6 over 1 buttoning. I'm guessing it's also unvented. So I'd probably strip the buttons.

Buttons have been stripped :) Now to find a 38-40 conservative business dress blue blazer to upgrade.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not an expert here but the easiest way to tell if they are pre 1997 is to see if the "levis.com" tag exist. If it's there, it's a good indication it's at least from after 1997. That's when the interwebzz were born. What country was this made in? The easiest way to date them is by serial number.

Not an expert here either, but a little sleuthing goes a long ways. Are those selvedge? I don't even really know what the big deal with jeans is anyway, I just wear the ones that are comfortable... The "Made In USA" tag is quite visible in the photos, as is the "For over 110 years" part, which says mid 80s at the earliest (110 years would be 1983, since Levis was founded in 1873).

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's been a lot of confusion about what "selvedge" is and how to tell.

For those that don't want to read my long ass document on selvedge, here is how to tell. It's all about the edge of the fabric.

Selvedge is self tipped with a (usually) white edge and a (usually) red stitch down the middle

This is not selvedge, but a regular stitched fabric end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads