• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How it works at all of the Goodwills that I have shopped is that the 50% off color starts on Sunday. On Friday and Saturday the residual sale color items are started to be removed to be resold as bulk clothing to either be resold to other thrift operators or exported, usually to Africa, or Asia. So if you want to get the best deals on the 50% off stuff shop on Sunday or early in the week.

If you are really interested in how Goodwill is operated, check out this link. The US Department of Labor provides Goodwill Industries with waivers that they do not have to comply with minimum wage laws. With all of the Union haters focusing on Walmart, why not a focus on Goodwill Industries?

http://watchdog.org/56129/fl-florid...os-less-than-minimum-wage-for-some-employees/

They don't have to pay minimum wage to the developmentally disabled folks who work in sheltered workshops who would otherwise have nothing to do with their days. Otherwise, no. Let's be clear.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The jackets are constructed in China. This outsourcing, combined with Haggis' decision to offer only 4 colours of the most conservative (Herringbone) pattern and a price that was as stiff as the appearance is probably what killed sales at retail. This Wal-Mart find however is magnificent. Every man should have a herringbone sport coat in his wardrobe anyway, so whoever scoops these up has reason to celebrate. Well done. I would have purchased one of each myself at this price.

Depends, of course, on fit. I've found HT on clearance from JAB for as little as $30, but excessive shoulder padding made most of them useless.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
The Gucci is totally real and legit. Tag indicates Zegna made.
Tom Ford era piece as well and this one is not too old, probably early 2000's at best guess (before 2004 though).
Totally nice find, if it has pants, all the better.

I'd like to think that high end tuxes are worth a damn, but I've continually reduced a Brioni tuxedo I have listed. I'm all the way down to $250 BIN from my initial head-in-the-clouds BIN of $1,500. Turns out there aren't many 46 Ls buying tuxedos this time of year...

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Gucci is totally real and legit. Tag indicates Zegna made.
Tom Ford era piece as well and this one is not too old, probably early 2000's at best guess (before 2004 though).
Totally nice find, if it has pants, all the better.
\

Thanks for the help everyone, I searched the store high and low for pants, kid's, women's, dressing rooms.
Oh well, honestly half the fun was finding something new and interesting.

hmmurdock

Reaction score

I'd like to think that high end tuxes are worth a damn, but I've oocontinually reduced a Brioni tuxedo I have listed.  I'm all the way down to $250 BIN from my initial head-in-the-clouds BIN of $1,500.  Turns out there aren't many 46 Ls buying tuxedos this time of year...

Seems to me tuxs are seasonal...really who wants to get married at tbe end of December. If it was me me i'd hold it until late winter/ early spring and try to sell then. Of course I'm about three glasses of wine into the evening so take my advice at your risk.

Randomore

Reaction score
Talking about tuxes. Getting married in June. Fiance got her dress today. I'm on the lookout for a nice tux.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about tuxes. Getting married in June. Fiance got her dress today. I'm on the lookout for a nice tux.

Congratulations, man. I hope all goes well on the day of.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stuff from the past week. All available. Lemme know if you want more pictures.

Fred Perry Harrington. Size L.

Arc'Teryx Polartec. Size L (slim).

Patagonia Fleece. Slim M. (picture suuuucks, looks better in person).

Saks 5th Avenue 100% Cashmere sweater. Made in England. XL.

Land's End 100% Cashmere sweater. Size L.

Steven Alan Flannel. Size S.

Brooks Brothers blue OCBD. Size L.

Orvis cotton button down. Size L.

Brooks Brothers Brooksease button down. Size L.

Belvest blue herringbone dress shirt. 19.5/49.

Brooks Bros Milano flat front chocolate cords. 36 x 31

Brooks Bros Hudson Advantage Chino. 100% cotton (heavy) Flat front. 36 x 32

Incotex chinos. Double pleated. Cotton/wool blend. 38 x 32

NWT Fabio Inghirami ("Ingram") pants. Vitale Barberis Super 110. Flat front, super slim (think Mabitex or slimmer Incontex) 37 x unhemmed. Underrated brand here.

NWT C.P. Company. Made in Italy. Super lightweight, nicely styled. Flat front. 36 x 34.5

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I rushed through my local GW and picked up a couple of pairs of Zanella trousers only to get them home and find moth and wear damage. Today, I went back and returned them, along with the fake Zegna tie that I bought. I raided the pants section and found three pairs of Zanellas that fit me well enough, and the price was right. Two of them seem to be barely (if at all) worn. The other shows signs of some wearing, but is still in excellent condition.

They all have tags from Saks 5th Avenue, two are Bennetts and I'm not sure about the other one (no model name is listed on the tag). Perhaps it's an orphan? Still seems nice enough to my admittedly untrained eye. I also picked a San Francisco Giants Flat Cap (not being one to wear standard ball caps much, this one made me happy), so I can cheer on my favorite team in style.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna tie. Real?

Doesn't seem as awesome as I would suspect given the brands reputation around here.

guyver00

Reaction score

Yesterday, I rushed through my local GW and picked up a couple of pairs of Zanella trousers only to get them home and find moth and wear damage. Today, I went back and returned them, along with the fake Zegna tie that I bought. I raided the pants section and found three pairs of Zanellas that fit me well enough, and the price was right. Two of them seem to be barely (if at all) worn. The other shows signs of some wearing, but is still in excellent condition.

They all have tags from Saks 5th Avenue, two are Bennetts and I'm not sure about the other one (no model name is listed on the tag). Perhaps it's an orphan? Still seems nice enough to my admittedly untrained eye. I also picked a San Francisco Giants Flat Cap (not being one to wear standard ball caps much, this one made me happy), so I can cheer on my favorite team in style.

Redemption! I still haven't found any flat front Zanella out in the wild yet, lucky you. I feel the same about some Zegna ties that I come across from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads