1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

That Corneliani [​IMG]

You guys find the coolest shit.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

That sounds like a dangerous flirtation based on the high quality (and prices) I've seen mentioned about their stuff.

3. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I can't help but think of a James Bond villain being the person who has these right now. All calling you up randomly and whispering in gruff voice, "the deal has changed...." and making you bring cash in a metal briefcase.

Anyway, how good is the deal? Getting rid of 200 pairs of shoes is daunting, to say the least.

4. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

How good is the deal...I don't know. I have seen pictures of about 6 pairs of the 200...I have seen pictures of the shelves of boxes for the rest of them, and cherry picked what I wanted based on brands and the basic description on the box...so I really don't have a real great idea of what I'm getting. Hoping to get them on a truck Friday and unloaded Monday to start the long, daunting process of going thru it. It's a bit of a gamble to the tune of about 7K that I can make some money on these.

I took some leaps of faith that the boots in the Tony Lama boxes are exotic maybe, that the J&M/Cole Haans are something desireable, I'm banking on "Cordo" stamped on the box to be a good thing. The gentleman I am purchasing from started the process and had been selling a few pairs on average about $75/each...his shoe knowledge was limited, his ebay setup was limited...so I think I'll turn out alright. Wish me luck.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I've been taking a break from heavy thrifting while I work through my backstock of stuff to post on the Bay. So much stuff! I've listed 15 items today, and still have two more crates to go through!

My best find this week has been the Kiton shirt...

I'll be back at it by Friday. Love seeing everyone's finds here!

7. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

so i need some advice from you guys on a potential thrift fit. I picked this up a while back and am just now getting around to it. its pretty bad ass and i really want to make it work. what do ya'll think, a go (the jacket with some tailoring, not the outfit)?
    [​IMG]

LB. Unfinished sleeves. new without the tags. seep maroon/burgundy/oxblood. i don't really know. sweet wind pane pattern. ohh and it came with the original thread and buttons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so, can/should i make it work? i like trim fitting jacket, i don't go to the gym for nothing [​IMG]

8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

too big on the shoulders
    sleeves too long.
    nice jacket, but not your size.

3 people like this.
  9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

OMG!!! Those odd vests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Well, besides the obviously long sleeves which could be shortened rather easily, I think the length is a bit too long for my taste. But it could be shortened about an inch or so. It looks like there's much shoulder padding. I don't know if you are into that kind of fit. The chest looks a tag too big for you. Over all, if you are into the trim looking style, I think the jacket is a tag too big for you. More pics from different angles needed to have a better view. I think if you are willing to spend up to $100 in tailoring and have a competent tailor in mind, a LBSC is just too cool to pass! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  10. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Wait... you're telling me you found a NWOT LBCS?

Go buy a powerball ticket, now.

If you win, you're splitting the 400M with the thread.

11. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

I know right! I was stunned when I saw it. 7$. So I'm willing to spend so money to see if I can make it work. Taking a poll on here to see if it can/ should be done haha

When is that drawing? I might be a good excuse to go out to dinner and along the way pick up a couple ticks!

Think of how well dressed everyone on this thread would be with a few hundred grand each to put in their closets...

12. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

@5128
    Ok here is part 2 of DFW
    NWT Tahari, Haspel, Charvet (take that xenos! lol)
    [​IMG]
    RT regimental, Etro, RT silk knit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    unicorns
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HOw old is this? Not sure on size, prob 44Rish, get at me if interested, dope pattern
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Womens, seemed fairly valuable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    metal buttons, hidden by placket
    [​IMG]
    I can't remember Cifonelli branded as such in this thread first for me, although im sure someone has found it XL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    11C
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2x pleated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    maybe keeping, enver seen pink 170's, they're nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ANy experience?
    [​IMG]
    oxxford with all the good stuff you could imagine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    10 B/D
    [​IMG]
    Best for last:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the most recent tag right? When did it start?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Small hole ill get rewoven before I sell, or someone who buys it should.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CHERRY POPPED WHOOOOOOOO. Wish I could've found the pants.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fits like a 40/41R Or slim 42. Super 150's (sorry some pics fucked up so im lacking about 8

1 person likes this.
  13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Two nice pairs of shoes...

Alden #8 shell NSTs 10 D

[​IMG]

Zelli suede NSTs 9.5 M

[​IMG]

And the local Goodwill must have gotten some never picked up items from the local Tom James rep. There were 6 or 7 jackets 4 of them from the Royal classic line which is the TJ line actually made by Oxxford. They still have the tags on them and two of them are Holland and Sherry cloth. Same buttons that Oxxford uses, full canvass and tons of pic stitching. They're toward the larger sizes and I'll post measurements if anyone is interested. The three I took are solid blue. One is made up as a blazer and the other two could easily be.

3 people like this.
  14. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Got some awesome bargains today at Last Call Neiman Marcus (sale today) all under 35.00.

Brioni, Zegna, Charvet, Zegna, Brioni, Pink, Kiton. All are gorgeous!
    [​IMG]

Cant resist bragging about this either. Homemade chocolate chip cookies that Im about to eat. Not thrifted and n/a [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

:fistbump: Glad you like them

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Dead on.

We all understand this urge. We've all succumbed. But I would urge you to fight it. Many things can be fixed on jackets, but shoulders is not one of them -- at least not without deconstructing the whole thing, and that get's expensive (not to mention defeats the point of having an Attolini or St Andrews or whichever elite tier RTW shop made that LBCS). Those shoulders hit you at least 1" off your natural shoulder on each side. That's just too much for anyone other than Spoo wearing Tom Ford.

EDIT: Incidentally, what size IS it? Not 42R, by chance....? :hide:

DA. FUG.

(And what's up with mixing Tahari and Haspel in with Kiton, Caruso and Oxxford? Is this like some kind of weird thrift version of "Which of these things does not belong" from Sesame Street?)

17. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Nat, great haul in general but dat Charvet...

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Definitely nothing in my price range, everything is like 7 tiers above both price and quality wise compared what I have handled
    Their green house label vicuña sportcoat made me cream my pants
    Zero structure jetted ticket pocket dual vents... Pure sex
    I had a very nice time talking to the owner but was unable to catch kiyoshi of the silentist at a moment when he wasn't helping a customer
    Great store
    Great product
    Great owner
    Great staff
    Great area
    And now I am at the monteray bay aquarium having a bowl of clam chowder getting ready for a round of golf

20. garret86

garret86 Member

The last call neiman marcus next to my house do have Charvet on sale, but still 53.00 before tax (106 on the tag). :( most of important, those on sale charvet ties do not look good.

Which state are you in? Wish the one near my house had ties under 35.00 :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.