1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The "8" is the Trafalgar symbol. I suppose they are making for Paul Stuart....or perhaps the buckle was swapped.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Casey, red Hermes is a strippers tit, sorry bud.

2 people like this.
  3. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I thought so, actually, but I took a chance because there was a real Hermes in the same store. Thanks, though.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thanks! Never knew...there were a few more beat up belts so very possible he swapped them

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

6. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

hit up one store today and got stuff for myself on accident I bought them both to flip but they fit me great
    which calls for a thrift fit
    on top is a prl flannel blazer from the early 80s it is the second jacket I have every put on that needs no alteration the other one was vintage mtm courtesy of randomore...
    pants are random made in Italy for saks with cordilane fabric and are the first pants (not jeans) that I have thrifted for myself
    [​IMG]
    other items are bb shirt ebay, lands end silk knit trade and alden loafers trade
    I guess I needed to play dress up and cleanse my pallet of swd for a couple minutes

7. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Do you have a solid black silk necktie?

Did you even know that it's a must have item for the well dressed man?

Funerals. According to SF member mimo, every man should have a black silk tie on hand to be worn to funerals. I found out yesterday that I have to attend a distant relative's family funeral on Friday. It occurred to me that I have ties for interviews, weddings, summer get togethers and so on but I had no idea what I was supposed to wear to a funeral. When I performed a search of styleforum, the answer came back as ...

Solid. Black. Silk.

I had nothing. I considered sending a frantic PM to Spoo et.al. to plea for one to be overnighted but that seemed extravagant. I had a little time this morning but Goodwills proved to be a dry hole for this item. Looking back over around two years of sorting through ties, I don't recall ever seeing a solid black tie. I stopped in JAB but I would have had to pay $79 for one or I could have bought 5 for $80. :facepalm: I don't need to spend that kind of dosh on a JAB tie(s) so I kept looking.

Nordstrom Rack had Calvin Klein for $17 but they were ALL extra long. I tried a double 4 in hand but it looked ridiculous. The $15 Kenneth Coles were too skinny. The other crappy brands were some sort of tone on tone. :brick:

Burlington. Nicole Miller. Hecho en China. 100% silk. $10. I dare you to tell me that you can tell it's a crap tie once it's around my neck and hiding under my suit coat.

Keep your eyes peeled guys. When you need one of these, you NEED it now. :teach:

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thrift Fit from last night.......

[​IMG]

Gray Golf Shirt, Thirfted by me
    Brooks Brothers Chinos, Thrifted by me
    NB Sneakers, discount at Super Shoes
    Tickets to private visit with Danielle Bradbery in the radio studio, Won on the radio by me.
    My wife pissed because 3/4 of her face is all over facebook and mine got chopped off.....priceless.

10. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

[​IMG]Haven't thrifted in a while but today I found this awesome practically unworn Levi's big E denim jacked[​IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You sure that's a Big E? I can't really see the tag from here, but it looks like a small e. Nevermind. I was able to zoom way in on my phone.

12. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Hey I tried to offer these up to another member for the price of shipping but they said they were "all tweeded out". If anyone wants these just let me know. All I want is $12 for both shipped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note: I will not measure these, on account that they are basically free :D

And sorry for the crappy pics...

13. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Yes sir[​IMG]

14. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Nice type 3, should flip well if you plan on it. Nice to see that those are still out there, gives me hope to keep looking for good vintage!

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Even worse! Do you really want to exclaim to the world you have a little d on your belt buckle? :nest:

1 person likes this.
  16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well, if you wear it upside down it would be a big P.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  17. suited

suited Senior member

Speaking of that, I just got back from a family vacation and my dad gave me this, which originally belonged to my great great grandfather. Colt USGI M1911, made in 1918:

[​IMG]

Hoping to get back into the swing of things with a good find at lunch today, and hopefully a nice haul this weekend.

3 people like this.
  18. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

[​IMG]Armani Collezioni black sport jacket size 48L found thrifting this week. Its listed on Ebay if anyone is interested.

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sweet!

20. eazye

eazye Senior member

It's that time of year again........
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.