• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Okay, Alan, but just remember that it pays (off) to shop regularly...

I know, I know. Drive time and my thrift circuit kills a day when I do it, though. Work keeps getting in the way. Sometimes I'm able to swing by a thrift shop on the way somewhere, but usually it takes a special trip there.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I know, I know. Drive time and my thrift circuit kills a day when I do it, though. Work keeps getting in the way. Sometimes I'm able to swing by a thrift shop on the way somewhere, but usually it takes a special trip there.

Yeah, same here. I can't wait 'till I retire and can shop thrifts all day long like some older folks I know. Even thought I work in a thrift store - we never get anything good. Everyday it's the same old collar-stained Arrow shirts from 15 years ago and the Faded Glory polos. Urgh! Oh well, when that special find comes along it makes it all worthwhile!

hye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
...four pairs of Lorenzini pajamas... two Avon Celli sweaters... Avon Celli Sea Isalnd Cotton v-neck... Brunello Cucinelli cashmere v-neck... Borrelli cashmere pullover... Borrelli Vintage cotton pullover...

Oh. My. God. That is... so... incredible!! May the Gods continue to shine upon you, kind sir...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Truzzi pink striped shirt, barrel cuffs, as new, fits great--$5
inlove.gif

Nicky linen-silk tie--$1
Robert Talbott vintage narrow tie--$1

Sorry for the bad pic:

p1010369ra7.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Truzzi pink striped shirt, barrel cuffs, as new, fits great--$5
inlove.gif

Nicky linen-silk tie--$1
Robert Talbott vintage narrow tie--$1

Sorry for the bad pic:

p1010369ra7.jpg

Very nice Alan, that RT tie especially is just my style.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have no regular job right now, so I'm taking a bit of time to myself. I hit the thrifts yesterday and was thinking maybe I should be taking orders or at least reporting on good stuff I didn't buy in case anyone wanted it.

Stuff I found but didn't get included a really cool vintage teal Harris Tweed jacket in about a 39-40S... almost bought that for myself but it really was too short for me.

Also a Pendleton blackwatch plaid jacket that fit me perfectly but had borderline wide lapels. I was tempted to try altering the lapels narrower as there is no buttonhole to contend with. If it weren't $20 I would have picked it up for Xmas parties. Unfortunately it doesn't go to half price for quite a while, according to the shopgirl.

Also, these AE saddle shoes in 12C:

fone111of8.jpg

I thought at first that they were cordovan, but they're not. Pretty good condition, though.

A couple of older Polo blue label suits in 42R and 44R that were in quite serviceable, but not perfect shape.

And generally, a ton of other stuff.

I did get another Harris Tweed herringbone jacket ($2) just like the one from the other week, except minus the moth holes I later found...
mad.gif
they sure are hard to spot on that stuff. I'm thinking I may do something odd to this jacket - I'll post if I do. Also a couple of nice work shirts for my stepdad ($10 total).

So, anyone want anything? If I can make $90-100 a day thrifting, I'll never have to get a job.
lol8[1].gif

Sid

Reaction score
Vintage Gent:

Was there anything besides pocket-squares at good prices in San Marcos? I may be headed that way this weekend.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, Mini-jackpot here guys. Stopped by the Salvation Army today...scored some good stuff:

- Almost brand new Mackenzie Coat Co. grey wool 3/4 coat with thinsulate and concealed button placket.

- NWT Zanella plaid casual shirt

- NWT Zanella casual plaid shirt

- Jill Sander 'tailor made' 3-button blazer

- 'Michael' Michael Kors brown with blue windowpane patter 3-button blazer

- F.A. MacCluer Shirtmakers checkered button-down

Almost forgot a plaid Scott Barber button-down...

All in almost new condition and brought me to a grand total of $24.89

The coat may be open to offers if it doesn't work for me. It's a size 42. Pics upon request.

Happy hunting guys!
smile.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a bunch of mid-level things, mostly to be flipped. Picked up a few vintage items to try selling on ebay. One is a 1950's black Alpaca cardigan, very Thom Browne-esque, with two buttons placed vertically on the bottom of both side seams.

Also overheard a fantastic conversation between an older woman and her husband. The woman started telling her husband how she found a shirt or something but couldn't wear it because it was made with slave labor or something. Then she started talking about how white men are still keeping her back, and how she is still a slave, and that "all the honkeys got what was coming to them when the ay-rabs blew up their buildings" and that she "wishes they all would have been in those towers when they fell". I was about 8' away from her when she was going off on this. When she tried to get by me and my cart was in the way, she started yelling at me and calling me a 'god-damn racist'.

Also noticed that Goodwill is now pricing 75% of it's shirts at $7-10, which is getting kind of ridiculous.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
When she tried to get by me and my cart was in the way, she started yelling at me and calling me a 'god-damn racist'.

Apparently she was unaware of your avatar.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently she was unaware of your avatar.

I really need to get a tie printed with that pattern...

Oh, I remembered one other cool item I found - a 100% cashmere camel-colored sweater vest, Ballantyne, probably from the late 50's or early 60's. Made in Scotland. Fits me (M) but I doubt I would wear it. Will probably try it out on ebay or something.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Found a bunch of mid-level things, mostly to be flipped. Picked up a few vintage items to try selling on ebay. One is a 1950's black Alpaca cardigan, very Thom Browne-esque, with two buttons placed vertically on the bottom of both side seams.

Also overheard a fantastic conversation between an older woman and her husband. The woman started telling her husband how she found a shirt or something but couldn't wear it because it was made with slave labor or something. Then she started talking about how white men are still keeping her back, and how she is still a slave, and that "all the honkeys got what was coming to them when the ay-rabs blew up their buildings" and that she "wishes they all would have been in those towers when they fell". I was about 8' away from her when she was going off on this. When she tried to get by me and my cart was in the way, she started yelling at me and calling me a 'god-damn racist'.

Also noticed that Goodwill is now pricing 75% of it's shirts at $7-10, which is getting kind of ridiculous.

Cart? What a woman you've become.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One unusual item today: a coat from Gaultier's notorious 1993 Hasidic-inspired collection. This caused a big stink at the time, for numerous reasons: he used tefillin (phylacteries) as decorative elements, styled women with forelocks, etc. Anyway, this coat is mighty odd: In rough grey wool, unconstructed, patch pockets on hip and breast, no buttons or button holes except one in the high, narrow lapel. Kimono sleeves, lined in striped cotton. Living near thousands of Hasidim in Williamsburg, I can tell you that I have no idea what this has to do with their style of dress. But the label does spell his name in Hebrew letters:

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Also, these AE saddle shoes in 12C:

I thought at first that they were cordovan, but they're not.

That's the Shelton and I believe that's one of AE's few corrected-grain (!) models.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
On the way back after attending a funeral (no one I'd ever met) in a small town I passed a Goodwill. There was a brief internal debate with common sense telling me there would be absolutely nothing there of value. The lure was too great, however, so I stopped and ran in for a quick look around. There was pretty much nothing there of value except stuck in all the stained, old and crappy ties was this woven beauty from Ben Silver in new condition:

p1010402xn3.jpg

Worth every bit of the 75 cents I paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics