1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

Interesting find - was about to walk out empty handed and spotted it sitting in the window. Looks minty. Now to find a power supply to test it...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

^^ do you play? If not, let me know if you wanna hook a brother up!!

3. Aidan K

Aidan K Senior member

No, I don't. I emailed my brother to see if it was useful for him or someone in his band, so it's dibsed for now, but I'll let you know if it doesnt go there...

4. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Aw man, I was totally trying to find one of these cheap a few years back and never ended up settling on getting one. Guitar stuff is a pretty rare find, only thing I ever found was this 60s Airline Reverb that I've barely used since acquiring it for $15 at a thrift [​IMG]

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

^^^ if you pass it on to me I'll put her to work!

6. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Nice find on the Duckies!

7. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Is your closet normally this clean?
    Looks good man.
    simple/ efficient.

2 people like this.
  8. FETIDI

FETIDI Member

Gentleman, As someone who has been thrifting for about a year I wonder what the prices are in your area. I only buy things for my own use or that of my sons. I try to buy only items made in first world countries of high quality. For instance today I got lucky and found 3 CANALI shirts at $5 each in my size in excellent condition along with a POLO cotton golf jacket for about $5. Last week I picked up my first CANALI jacket in my size for $6 which I thought was a very good deal. It takes a lot of work to find quality items in excellent condition. I usually pay $10 or less for a sport coat and $20 or less for a suit in brands like HSM or HF. However I can go to 4 thrift stores in a day while I am out and about and often find NOTHING. Again I only buy things to wear and am very picky which is why I have given up on EBAY. Half of the stuff I get from EBAY is loaded with moth holes or old and worn out. I go to GW or the SA or other non profit charity based stores. So far I have not gone to SAVERS which is big out here. Any thoughts or suggestions?

9. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Your closet looks great. However, who owns 3 pink shirts and no white ones?!

10. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Thanks. I was actually just showing off my Luxire shirts and took the rest down. Then snapped a picture of what was hanging at the moment.

That said, I have two white shirts - Hugo Boss and I hate both of them. I refuse to wear them and wear blue and pink all I can instead. I have 8-9 other Luxire shirts on the way. None white.. but some white and more (better) blue in the next haul. I've got burgundy stripes, blue ecru, white with red/blue check, etc. Just, getting fixed.

Seeing as how I basically only wear my Luxire shirts, I just realized I have more shirts overseas getting fixed for mis-measurement or freshly ordered than readily wearable in my closet.

#f30kmillionaireproblems
    #notreally30k

11. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Boss can be hit or miss.
    I felt a boss made in turkey and it was smooth like butter, the way a high end shirt should be.
    Other ones from boss made else where didnt come up as nice. All black label. weird. maybe it was a different cut.

I picked up the BR jacket.
    Orphan or sports coat? in my zeal of finding a nice jacket that fit right I forgot to take a good look.
    3 button, nice and heavy made in turkey.

[​IMG]

12. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I might have a power supply for that. PM me Edit: scratch that. I must have gotten rid of my supplies for those. At least they are not where they should be.

14. tben

tben Senior member

Boss Selection is the way to go.

15. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

any way to use it?
    I figure dark jeans on black shirt?

@tben:
    thx ill look for boss selection, could be a nice pickup

16. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I haven't been in the market for guitars for awhile, but Ovations haven't been in high demand since the '70s.
    If you replace a nut again, I recommend filing/sanding down the nut, rather than the wood on the neck. I don't know what kind of tuning machines Ovations use, but most tuning machines use a tiny screw that goes into the headstock to keep them from spinning. Is that not the case here?

17. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Not sure if serious...

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Finally find some stuff today.

Not pictured are just some things headed for the Bay that nobody on here would care about (gaudy True Religion jeans, RG shirts, women's Costume National blazer, etc).

My favorite find of the day. Keeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bills x 2. M2 are a 40 and M3 cords are a 36.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unicorns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any M/C guys that don't get slim, cuffed raw denim, these may be a great entry into nice jeans. Made from White Oak Cone denim. Non-selvedge. Tagged 38 x 30.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWOT J. Crew Ludlow jacket. Moon Yorkshire tweed. I'm trying to talk myself out of the fact that there may have been a pair of matching pants to make this a killer suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vent still basted shut!

[​IMG]

Recent Eton shirt. 16 1/2

[​IMG]

Vintage Dead spring 1989 tour t-shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

perhaps jeans, but I'd go with some colorful chinos. OR MADRAS PANTS! :slayer:
    And no black shirt. Please.

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.