1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

I had been in desperate need of at least a half dozen of these. A couple months ago I was in a GW and hadn't found anything, until I walked past the furniture and saw a :slayer:basket of cedar shoe trees, 2$ a pair. I picked up the whole basket. 7 pairs for 14$.
    :slayer:

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Took the afternoon off and hit three thrifts - didn't find anything to purchase at any of them (shakes fist at Spoo), but I did find cash money in a pocket for the 4th time - $12 American, which more than covered my gas.

Then stopped in a consignment shop I'd never been to - they were clearing everything out - said make an offer, so I did on a couple things for myself (NA). Got this stuff on the super-cheap.

This red box.

[​IMG]

Calfskin Ferragamo key chain, NWT from Saks.

[​IMG]

And this big ol' dusty bag.

[​IMG]

With toys inside.

[​IMG]

Canon AE-1 Program body with power winder, 3 Canon lenses, one off-brand macro lens (Soligor?), paperwork / manuals, filters, someone's negatives, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sthenosall

I'm continuing with my 10 minutes in a store thread. I think it might be good luck.
    This will have to wait. I just spent 15 minutes toeing to upload photos and nothing was working.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  4. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Everything available.

RLX long-sleeve madras-ish sport shirt, XL (in retrospect I don't know why I picked this up)
    [​IMG]

NWT Orvis wrinkle-free FF khakis with comfort-band, size 40 (unhemmed)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boss soft longsleeve shirt w/ MOP buttons, fits like a S, marked M (would keep except for color)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ties: Barney made in Italy (maker?) & Chipp2 (anybody know what breed this is? Hans?)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Rocking it as usual guys. So I will be in the Boston area in about a week- can anyone give me some tips on good honey holes?

1 person likes this.
  6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

German short haired pointer

http://www.chipp2.com/german-shorthaired-pointer-necktie-p-416.html

7. sthenosall

lets try this again.
    a great pink J. Crew linen in slim fit medium. don't usually pick up J. Crew but i do when it's linen and it fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]

also picked up this organic cotton patagonia shirt that fit perfectly. great for my occasional hike during the spring and fall when its not too hot or cold.

[​IMG]

the third shirt i picked up is too big on me but i couldn't leave a Canali behind. 17.5 if anyone is interested. light pink stripes.

[​IMG]

picked up one pair of shoes. orange boat shoes by Ralph Lauren. don't know about authenticity but they seemed legit. plus they are my size and i love the color. worn just enough that they look broken in but not beat up. right where i want them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

also picked up 4 ties. i have questions about two of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

does anyone know anything about Faberge? seems like a quality tie and i've heard the name before. i really just picked it up because i had questions about it and i liked the design.
    second question. anyone know about Carlo Franco unlined 7 folds? seems nice. love the color and will add it to the rotation, just wondering about the quality.

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Pretty decent day today:

NWT Dunhill Tie
    [​IMG]

Epaulet Shirt for me (heavily darted though so maybe after I drop another 5lbs!) with a bonus pair of silk knots!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. wcl

wcl Senior member

Holy Shit a Carlo Franco. Now there is a blast from the past :slayer:. The history of CF is long and storied. There is probably a thread somewhere that goes into it. The quality was excellent that is for sure ! Edit: BTW the Faberge ties are generally good quality. The Made in USA ones were made by Robert Stewart out of NJ.

10. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

[/URL] [​IMG] does anyone know anything about Faberge? seems like a quality tie and i've heard the name before. i really just picked it up because i had questions about it and i liked the design. second question. anyone know about Carlo Franco unlined 7 folds? seems nice. love the color and will add it to the rotation, just wondering about the quality. [/quote Fabrege is famous for the eggs they made for the Czar of Russia. Well known for their jewelry/silverware/watches/ceramics etc. I would assume their ties are quality as well.

11. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

[/URL] [​IMG] does anyone know anything about Faberge? seems like a quality tie and i've heard the name before. i really just picked it up because i had questions about it and i liked the design. second question. anyone know about Carlo Franco unlined 7 folds? seems nice. love the color and will add it to the rotation, just wondering about the quality. [/quote Fabrege is famous for the eggs they made for the Czar of Russia. Well known for their jewelry/silverware/watches/ceramics etc. I would assume their ties are quality as well.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Bike help needed.

These parts any good? Huret. Lyotard. Nervar. Weinmann.

13. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Been lucky with the shoes lately. Minty mint AE McAllisters today SZ 9.5B N/A -Are these vintage based on the footbed? Also some rare minty hockey gloves I couldnt pass up. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

15. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Thanks! [​IMG]

16. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I like J. Crew for my casual clothes, I have several pairs of their flat front chinos which I look magnificent in. I like their linen shirts as well, I could rock that pink it would make my pasty white skin pastier.

17. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

I never post in here because most of the thrifting I do is A) just for me and B) wildly unsuccessful compared to what the hardcore in here find. Most of the good stuff I see is not my size, and I don't really flip, so...

HOWEVER, today I found something I've never seen before, and I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I can confirm it's real.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That Rubinacci and the Zegna...real?

Best part is I paid $3 for the Polo, BB, & Zegna and $1.50 for the Rubinacci. :rotflmao:

18. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Fit pics. The first one, just because, but the last two because I need advice on whether I should bother tailoring them, or just flip.

1. Corneliani
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thrifted suit, JW Nordstrom shirt, Turnbull & Asser tie, and Church's Custom Grade; e-thrifted PS

Mabro- clearly the torso needs to be taken in, and the pants lengthened. Worth it? I love this suit ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Thrifted suit, e-thrifted PS, C&J for Shipton & Heneage shoes awesomely traded w JL3212 :slayer:

My first Brioni
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thrifted suit and japanese scarf PS.
    The Brioni needs serious TLC - tailoring, repairs, replacing many MOP buttons ... but I've been jonesing for a POW pattern suit. Should I put the work in, or are the shoulders too much on me? Or should I post this to the tailors thread?

19. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

^^^All real. Zegna and the BB are pretty old, and I'm not sure that's the Rubinacci you're looking for. If you're planning on flipping you'll maybe get $10-15 each.

20. sthenosall

I passed on at least a dozen Rubinacci ties today. Does anyone want them? I typically ignore them because I don't like the knot they tie. But if people like them then I might have to reconsider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.