• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks real to me. I mean Versace Jeans Couture isn't really that quality. I can see why folks think it's poorly made and maybe fake. V2 is even worse. Their Signature line is better made. I sold a few pairs of jeans from the former and latter lines. They did OK at best on Ebay.

rayxlui

Reaction score

Fishy went thrifting!

No luggage to speak of... shirts though!

First two that I found a while ago and never got around to posting.

Everyone loves LB! I'd love it more if it fit me though :/ 

Casual shirt, but fits about 15.5 33-34

A really quirky shirt, but in a good way. EXTREMELY well made. One of the buttons on the cuff is missing, but there are extra buttons still there- I'm just not confident in my ability to sew without butchering it :p Two buttons up top.

''

Now the two from today...

First the pretty cool. JV USA. Had a pair of brass Thrywitt collar stays in it too :)

16.5 long (US 37)

And the big one... I popped my Cucinelli cherry!

Size IT 52 (US 42)

All are available. I would really like to trade for cool shirts that actually fit me, as it gets kind of discouraging to find all this awesome stuff and have it all be a complete tent if I try to wear it ::/ 

Trying to get stuff that I can wear ties with. Steering clear of solid colors for now. 

Went thrifting yesterday and today... four different stores. Still working out the noob kinks. Managed to not buy everything in the store. Pictures are all pretty awful. Would love a dress form.

First Hermes sighting... and they weren't ties. Both fit, but will probably flip to fill some bigger needs in my closet/ Pay for all those boxes that keep showing up. 

These cuff buttons are sweet.

Awesome light jackets. Bad lighting... It's fairly powder blue.

Found the Banana Republic I was looking for... Keeping. You know it's old when it says "Made in the British Colony of Hong Kong"

Safari jacket. Pretty stoked as it fits me perfectly. 

Last store I went to today had a lot of very tempting stuff. But they knew their brands for the most part and marked the prices up. 

Jacket fits me well and was pretty much immaculate, but I'll need to have the pants lengthened. Cost me $40. 

Hanger I used for the pictures make it look bad.

Either pretty recent or just in great shape HF suit. All around a little too big for me and not worth getting tailored. Available. Really like the windowpane on this one.

Ties. Passed on a bunch at the last store with the marked up prices. 

Prada pants. Available.

Found this cool 1950's Sherlock Holmes book.

Picked up a few other pieces for myself that aren't too exciting as well as a Ralph Lauren black label black dress shirt, which I just saw had the top MOP button break in half after purchase. The buttons were all pretty beat up however. Probably should have left. 

Stuff from past week

Zilli is up for grabs

Goddamn the noobs are killing it. We gotta shut this thread down lol.

GM-H, I've got a feeling that Zilli might be fake.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely. Living with JMG (Jewish Mother Guilt) is something that is taught to us at a young age in Hebrew School.

Whatever your views may be on the recent tragedy from the prank call to the hospital where Kate was staying, this might be amusing. The language has been bleeped out. This link is for amusement purposes only.

Jewish Parent Prank Audio

GM-H

Reaction score
Goddamn the noobs are killing it. We gotta shut this thread down lol.
GM-H, I've got a feeling that Zilli might be fake.
I pretty sure its real, but i could be wrong. Any tell tail sign?

John Sullivan

Reaction score
A baker's dozen of dress shirts.
All 16 X 33/34
Mix bag of button & FC
All are available.

MattR

Reaction score
I just picked up a BR Heritage DB with the ticket pocket, double vented and with surgeon cuffs in a nice mid gray/blue nail head weave. Italian fabric but made in China. It even seems to be partially canvassed. Not my size otherwise I'd probably keep it for myself. This is the first time I've seen the "heritage line" at a thrift and it was super cheap so I thought I'd give it a shot. I know there was some discussion about people selling their BR stuff easier than Oxxford, so we'll see how this goes.

I also wanted to give a huge shout out to Cotton Dockers, he must really be feeling the Christmas spirit this year. We were working out a trade this summer for some baller John Varvatos Italian made linen trousers that fizzled out for whatever reason. Well, I get home from work yesterday to find a package I wasn't expecting. I open it up, and inside is a letter form Mr. Dockers saying that he's not my secret Santa but that the trousers were just sitting around his house and he thought he would just send them my way so someone could get some use out of them.
Blew my mind! Your sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Things like this really give me faith in the human race and confirms my suspicions that there are still some really, really good people out there. And furthermore, there seems to be an inordinate amount populating this thread. You guys are awesome!!!!! Happy holidays!!!! :cheers: And one more shout out to Wes for another solid trade. My wife has taken to calling you my "tweed guy". Like, you need some tweed? Yea, I gotta guy. :D[
/quote]

Eazy, I believe nailhead is a square pattern, whereas bird's eye is round. To my eye, that is a round pattern.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. I think this was just mentioned in the WAYWRN thread.

Last edited:

Dolfan954

Reaction score
234.gif

Three weeks of no thrifting and counting. Exam time is driving me nuts with withdrawal. Glad you guys are pulling in awesome stuff. A week from now... release the Kraken
kraken-smilies-0001.gif
:pirate:

ilikethelights

Reaction score

Nope. Standard discount retailer that gets stuff from all over. Never had any luck at the Levis outlet here. Talked to them once and they said they stopped getting any LVC/Capitol E stuff. When they did before, it was always small sizes. Stopped going there a long time ago, not really worth it.

The Levis store in the Mall Of America has actually have a bunch of LVC and Made & Crafted stuff in the clearance section for the last year or so. I don't think they've gotten anything new because it's finally shrunk down pretty small now.

staxringold

Reaction score
Sick hauls guys (damn John Sullivan)

Anyone know this label? Weird tie, but felt decent enough

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Levis store in the Mall Of America has actually have a bunch of LVC and Made & Crafted stuff in the clearance section for the last year or so. I don't think they've gotten anything new because it's finally shrunk down pretty small now.

If the price is good I can use an LVC 501 36/32, 36/30, 38/32, 38/30. Pls proxy.

I would like to thank a wave of recent new members that are doing their homework and doing diligent thrifting. Welcome to the community. p.s. I will be watching your transformation to flippers :D

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eazy, I believe nailhead is a square pattern, whereas bird's eye is round. To my eye, that is a round pattern.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. I think this was just mentioned in the WAYWRN thread.
[/QUOTE]

You are correct, it is a round weave, whoops!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I left a beautiful Phineas Cole blazer at the Jewish thrift at 13th or so and 5th ave in Brooklyn. Size 38L. Didn't feel like bringing it home to LA - luggage too full. It was like $18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads