• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not shell.

Thought I found some AE Leeds shell Cordovan, model number matched the shell sheet, but there was micro creasing. For $8 picked up anyway, can always return. Further review leads me to believe these Leeds are not shell. The on line Issuu catalogs from 1985 showed a 9548 in polished burgundy, couldn't remember what year the changed the inside orientation of the logo (Wes?).

lastdonb

Reaction score
Last picks from same GW:

Trafalgar, surcingle belt, 36", PURPLE, (available)

A like new (was laundered but still has that "crisp" feel) BB red button down pinstripe original polo trad fit, 17-36 (available):

My first Holland & Sherry fabric SC, Filo A Mano hand tailored by Tom James, full canvassed SC, super soft, no content or size tag, but was custom. Fits a slim 42, only 29" length but 25" sleeves, 18" shoulders, (might keep)

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found the PERFECT PRL coat I have been looking for at Marshall's but its a medium not a large!! Damn my luck

Hit me up if you want it for 199

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely not shell.

It's not. It may be that at one point AE used same number in different years for shell and non-shell . I recall this was the case for two different models, can't find the post.

lastdonb

Reaction score
The Leeds are not shell.

Definitely not shell.

It's not. It may be that at one point AE used same number in different years for shell and non-shell . I recall this was the case for two different models, can't find the post.

Well, I guess their not shell......I figured the leather didn't look right for shell but because of the style number, took a chance. Can return for store credit to any GW, maybe find another Holland & Sherry SC for $9.99.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a BR Heritage DB with the ticket pocket, double vented and with surgeon cuffs in a nice mid gray/blue nail head weave. Italian fabric but made in China. It even seems to be partially canvassed. Not my size otherwise I'd probably keep it for myself. This is the first time I've seen the "heritage line" at a thrift and it was super cheap so I thought I'd give it a shot. I know there was some discussion about people selling their BR stuff easier than Oxxford, so we'll see how this goes.

I also wanted to give a huge shout out to Cotton Dockers, he must really be feeling the Christmas spirit this year. We were working out a trade this summer for some baller John Varvatos Italian made linen trousers that fizzled out for whatever reason. Well, I get home from work yesterday to find a package I wasn't expecting. I open it up, and inside is a letter form Mr. Dockers saying that he's not my secret Santa but that the trousers were just sitting around his house and he thought he would just send them my way so someone could get some use out of them.
Blew my mind! Your sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Things like this really give me faith in the human race and confirms my suspicions that there are still some really, really good people out there. And furthermore, there seems to be an inordinate amount populating this thread. You guys are awesome!!!!! Happy holidays!!!! :cheers: And one more shout out to Wes for another solid trade. My wife has taken to calling you my "tweed guy". Like, you need some tweed? Yea, I gotta guy. :D

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting my Nucky on........

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Found the PERFECT PRL coat I have been looking for at Marshall's but its a medium not a large!! Damn my luck
Hit me up if you want it for 199

Any in blue? :happy:

Price is okay-ish...those are about $350-$400 retail, right?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, after showing my wife the turntable, she said "mahhh, you aren't buying it, are you?!" Apparently she doesn't see the need for one. Anyway, I might just get it...it's something I've wanted :) Thanks again for your help Nat, it's interesting that your grandfather had an electronics shop in Tokyo. What types of things does your uncle sell now??

Hit a store today and came up with....nothing. It's been a bit dry here, but I haven't had much time to get to the stores. I'm done in 12 days for a Christmas break, so hopefully I'll get some time in between moving. However, I do have a boatload of things coming here from you guys and eBay. I'll give proper thanks when everything arrives!

I won a pair of chocolate brown Incotex cords on eBay and they made it here remarkably fast from Canada (less than a week) $25 and they're a cotton/cashmere blend. :slayer: They're going to the tailor first, but I'll have to show them off when I get them back.

I will get a fit pic, but a HUGE shout out to Wes for getting me a bridge coat. It was -9C this morning and this thing was perfect! The downside is that I sincerely think some of my neighborhood believes I'm in organized crime. Not joking.

Thought I'd add a picture of a beer that I've meant to try for awhile and now that I finally have, I can say that it's GREAT! Whiskey malt beer...they apparently import malt from the whiskey-making process to make the beer. Much better than it probably sounds.

Finally, saw a poster this afternoon. The Old School Basterds (sic) present the finest '50s Christmas music by Holy Sh*t. I might actually have to check this out this month.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Probably BB. Their retail stores often cut the tags out of unsellable (damaged, worn, returned) items and donate them to local thrifts.
Possible. There seemed to be a lot of Robert Talbot and Robert Talbot for Nordstrom ties that looked new, could have been from Nordstroms.

There was one other tie I picked up that had the tag removed, narrower 3¼" Italian silk. looked up the RN number and it was from a company based in Chicago.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hansderhund

"I will get a fit pic, but a HUGE shout out to Wes for getting me a bridge coat. It was -9C this morning and this thing was perfect! The downside is that I sincerely think some of my neighborhood believes I'm in organized crime. Not joking. "

Lol. No problem, but I had no choice but to send it to you. You got my wife hooked on what is possibly the best coffee in the world. Other than that cat **** stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads