1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of things I snagged recently and bragged about sans pics. So for your viewing pleasure: Paul Stuart USA made custom tweeds x 3. All fit ~42R with waist let out a tad, and probably keeping. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    NWOT Oxxford ivory wool summer trou. LOOK AT THAT FREAKING HANDWORK!! Keeping [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    NWOT Etro brown cords. Keeping. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Accessories: Ancient Paul Smith for Bergies tie: [​IMG] BB Stain resistant that is, ironically, stained (likely removable): [​IMG] BB Braces [​IMG] T&A Bowtie (WHERE MY BOWTIE BROS AT?) [​IMG] NWT Brioni tie. [​IMG] T&A Sea Island [​IMG] Borrelli [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, only better.

Spoo, (and others who feel this is wrong) do you think that it would be a less morally offensive action to EXCHANGE something that is NWT and also in sell-able condition? I'm not asking for anybody's permission to return things that they are more than willing to allow, but how does this stack up to a straight up cash return situation in your opinions?

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

I would sell the tie for a great profit, and use the money I earned the hard way to buy something else I liked. Exchanging or returning to collect cash on something that you paid a buck for would not cross my mind. But, thats just me, you do you.

1 person likes this.
  4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

If you're not concerned with unethical, I'm pretty sure it's illegal. If you really don't think they'd object, though, just be honest, tell them you bought the ties (which may or may not have been used) from a third party, and see if they mind. If not, awesome. But otherwise, you're just rationalizing a decision that could very well get you into trouble.

5. SpooPoker

I cant wait to see this discussion take us into post 75K.

CALLED IT

6. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

That's like 230 more posts though. You really think we could have some off-topic ethical debate for that long? But that would be so out of character for this thread... :deadhorse:

7. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Orgetorix,
    Great shoe finds. Esp. those ragbone boots :drool:

I do recall someone saying that those return stickers do have a statute of limitation. Maybe someone reported that they couldn't find it in their system.

8. SpooPoker

INORITE

1 person likes this.
  9. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

I'm here, but in the bow tie doghouse. Two, a RL foulard and a Beau Tie Churchill dot, showed up today while I was in the yard chatting with neighbors. Mrs. Pnut spotted the envelope, took it from the mailbox and sauntered over. "What's this?" she says as she opens the envelope. "I'll bet it's bow ties." Sure enough. And everyone laughed at me. That said, TA bow ties are fantastic. I'm game for a deal if it shows up at the office. BTW, this thread has been on fire these past few pages, at least for someone who isn't into selvege or Japanese Goth stuff. Some really great stuff, and Ezy busting the rules--again--and getting away with it on a thrift fit is icing. Too bad no pocket square.

10. LeSacre

LeSacre Well-Known Member

Just a heads up fellas: DSW has a 25% off sale going on till July 9th if you use the code FRIENDSFAM. They have a good amount of RLPL including some EG made shoes (like the one below) that will be around the $400-500 range with the code. Not really flipping prices but a pretty good deal for yourself.

[​IMG]

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Stocking up on zee winter wear now. Grabbed a few J. Crew sweaters/zip ups and some NWT merino wool sweaters from lower quality makers, but still NWT. Texas gets hella cold.

Also a Christian Dior tie I liked

[​IMG]

Also I picked up a couple Hickey Freeman Boardroom Suit Jackets in Navy. How dumb is it to pick up orphans in an attempt to profit?

12. SpooPoker

When they are Hickey Freeman, prolly should have left them. When they are Kiton, its brilliant.

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Awesome. Appreciate the advice. Everythings still trial and error for me and at the very worst I'm selling something at $0.99 and getting a positive feedback.

14. SpooPoker

If you bought them, list them as best as you can and maybe you will make a few bucks, who knows. Ive sold crappy pinstripe orphans for $50 and up sometimes. But you are right, you will gain knowledge from this for better finds in the future.

15. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

If I thought that it was illegal I would keep far, far away from it.

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Hmm. Didn't work for me, so I bailed. Too bad the awesome RLPL styles they have are not my size. But there are a couple of Santonis that are nice.

Edit: Check that: You need to log in or create an account, and then it applies to the Luxe810 items only. Still, some decent deals, as Sacre says.

17. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Maserati parked in front of my Goodwill today - didn't snap a pic - but a Bentley beats a Maserati any day, to go thrifting in!

18. talitashaloma

talitashaloma Active Member

We've been compromiseddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Nothing much to my tastes. About 80% of the menswear is Paul Smith, which isn't my cup of tea and didn't seem all that flippable. One Versace Collection suit, one Belvest suit, a couple leather jackets by D&G and Prada, all 80%ish off retail but still too expensive for me to pick up or try to flip. I was most tempted by a Gant Rugger parka and BBBF polos, but I don't need any more clothes that badly.

Thanks man!

20. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Two atypical (for me) finds today.
    Paul Smith western-style shirt, made in Italy ('cause all the best cowboys are named Luigi) and a Troglodyte Homunculus shirt, also made in Italy - my first time in the CDG zone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.