1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cakebug

cakebug Member

The price tag was for a Zegna jacket. The thief bought a Zegna jacket. Sewed the Zegna labels on a Calvin Klein jacket. Returned the CK. Got a $1k refund. Kept the Zegna.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

That was my first thought. My Marshalls has total crap anyways, highest end thing there is Polo. Do the stores vary by neighborhood in your experience? Should I look for the "good" Marshalls somewhere?

Went to the Neiman Marcus Last Call and finally saw all the brands y'all have been pulling that I can't find for crap, namely Incotex and Kiton. Finally pulled Luciano Barberra (sp) and Turnbull and Asser, I was beginning to think you guys were making it up. [​IMG]
    Super crappy phone pics to follow:
    2x t&a and Tyrwhitt contrast collar
    [​IMG]
    Why yes, I DID buy used hostess Twinkie PJ's, why do you ask
    [​IMG]
    Burburry London, stain on cuff I'm hoping I can rectify, looks legit, anyone want to weigh in?
    [​IMG]
    These are cool, and my size
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my 3rd pair of these, the other 2 I got from Nordstroms rack.
    Levi's grey matchstick selvedge.
    These have been washed into oblivion though, is there any way to restore the color?
    [​IMG]
    Boss cashmere made in italy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rugby - someone here is a fan, I'm so ridiculously backed up with listings, PM me if interested
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This thing is cool:
    [​IMG]
    Orvis, had the soup of the day on the cuff, came off though, luckily.
    [​IMG]
    This RLPL Italy, has 2 dings, PM me if interested.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pants - Oxxford, I also have 3 oxxford suits I have yet to organize, will be sure to put better pics up here when I do,
    worthy of this thread.
    [​IMG]
    Santorelli
    [​IMG]
    Canali
    [​IMG]
    Yay, Luciano Barbera these are sweet!
    [​IMG]

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Score!! :slayer: I've been wanting a pair of these forever but no way can I afford $300+ for jeans! And I thought Baldwins and HDC jeans were pricey at $200-ish.....

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. cakebug

cakebug Member

Nice haul. And yes, you should look for the "good" Marshalls. I have about a dozen in my area, but only 3 get anything of value. 1 is in the city. 2 are in wealthy suburbs.

5. cakebug

cakebug Member

Nice. I feel like I learned much of what I know about thrifting from your mom. Thrift in good health. #fullchort

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

good to know, I'm going to have to map it out.
    Thanks, that means a lot, I hadn't done any research. The last pair of selvedge made in LA I found went for $10. I was bummed, guess I'll BIN these bitches, I mean britches.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You can call a store and ask a manager which one in the area might carry the higher-end brands. I did this when I was on vacation a few weeks ago in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area and had a dozen + Marshalls to choose from but no idea if any of them were a "good" Marshalls. The manager of one store knew what I was talking about and referred me to another store, which was in fact the "good" one in that area but paled by comparison to some I have been to.

You can also go to tjmaxx.com and do a search by your zip code, look for any that have "RM" (Runway for Men = TJ Maxx store that carries higher-end men's brands), then Google map serach nearby for Marshalls - if there are any, chances are high it's a "good" Marshalls.

1 person likes this.
  8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

There are several TJX (parent company) loss prevention folks listed on LinkedIn. If you're on LinkedIn, maybe send them a message with the details. These are the people whose job it is to care about theft, and they can get you in touch with the LP staff for your area. http://www.linkedin.com/title/district+loss+prevention+manager/at-tjx/

9. suited

suited Senior member

My mom was in town and I took her on a 100 mile Saturday route once. She had a good time. There are no good thrift stores where I'm from.

Stopped at a place that used to be a hot spot for me and I took home the first suit/blazer I've found at this store in 3-4 months. VTG PRL peak lapel tux, and a Hickey Freeman Ltd collection pinstripe suit in great condition.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Eat your heart out Spoo.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

WAFFLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    how can you capnwes? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Whoever said they would write a letter to corporate was dead-on right. Wouldn't be surprised if that resulted in a gift certificate as a token of appreciation. Any management that wouldn't act on this is either corrupt or incompetent, and higher-ups should be grateful when alerted to such people.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Could be going on internally at that store. Maybe she knows all about it.
    +1 if you really want to be proactive call the main office ask for a district or regional manager for the store. I'm sure someone wants to know whats going on but more employees just dont care (at least by me).

14. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Mother's day in my family usually involves me taking my mom out on a 100+ mile thrifting journey.

I'm going to try out some of Wisconsin's thrifts tomorrow. I'm hoping they don't know what Allen Edmonds are, but have plenty of them since they're made so close. My mom told me yesterday that my aunt used to work at Allen Edmonds in Wisconsin. She told me that my aunt's job was to reach her hand inside every shoe to make sure there were no nails sticking through the insole anywhere and she came home with cut up hands all the time. This was decades ago, I wonder if they still do it like that.

15. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

Found a cool merino wool Burberry Sweater with a hunting design. Never seen anything like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.M. Weston Richelieu Cap Toe Oxfords. After watching the video on their website, I'm obsessed with finding some in my size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the video if anyone's interested

1 person likes this.
  16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

:cheers: Crazy!

17. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

same thing happened in jersey gardens nmlc, some guy bought tom ford, kiton, and cucinelli shirts and returned crap shirts with the tag sewn on, what he did was, he ripped off labels off kiton and tom ford ties and sew them onto the shirts, so essentially he kept the real shirts and returned the crappy ones for a refund, essentially stole the shirts and ruined the ties for everyone else. i pointed this out to the associates there. I came back a few weeks later and the were back on the floor, this time i spoke to a manager, i explained that some guy was ripping them off, and ppl were buying fake kiton and tom ford shirts from their lcnm store. I explained it was easy to look up who has returned these items and have them arrested, but she didnt seem to give a shit, so careful around the jersey gardens neiman, your shirt or tie may not be the real deal.

18. eddievddr10

i have my suspicions of a certain ebay seller who did the dirty deeds

19. concealed

concealed Senior member

would tend to think these deals were done piecemeal and in cash vs credit

20. eddievddr10

they know the skus and can see on camera when transactions occured

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.