1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

If that jacket had happen to fit me, and I had happen to purchase it, well then you have to share that #menswear haircut with me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Here is that Lambskin and Lizard jacket I found at lunch. I have even made a makeshift bolo tie for the occasion.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

This one is the same basic jacket, just a little different color...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

I know its not jacket season but its a-v-a-i-l-a-b-l-e

4. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Well-Known Member

I have been searching for a Baracuta harrington jacket for quite sometime. Luckily today I found one and in my exact size! This particular G9 is "Four Climes." I found a little bit of info on Four Climes but if anyone else can give me some history behind it, that would be great. Also if someone could try and put a date to this jacket as well I would appreciate it. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about this Four Climes jacket, I am very excited.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Something similar to this but a bit edgier with one side shaved including the back and other side fade. I rock it differently. But totally 1920's cut.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

In April, I ordered 5 pairs of Ray-Ban aviators when they were listed for $35 on the Macy's in-store Sunglass Hut site, and I called in another 5 pair order over the phone to make sure it would go through. Got confirmation emails for both, card was charged. Got another email saying they would be shipped on a certain date. On that ship date, got another email that the orders were "cancelled by the vendor". Obviously someone did not just blindly fulfill the orders and thought something was amiss - most likely happen with all the JAB orders as well.

7. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

Damn my big ass head.....

8. capnwes

My haircut is almost exactly like that....but more like this...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. capnwes

My e-thrifted Lobbs from a couple weeks ago. I nearly returned them due to major condition issues. Glad I didn't. My shoe guy did a pretty good job on them. New Soles, New Heels, and a suede cleanup for $45 flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The unfortunate un-repairable damage. Suede worn smooth. Only overly noticeable when the light hits it a certain way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. TheNeedMachine

Anyone have insight into these green men's military trousers? Google search did not yield anything useful in the first 4 or 5 pages, and only things coming up on eBay are buttons and women's clothing.
    Heavy-duty and very thick wool (they weigh 2 pounds). Hidden placket on the front fly buttons and back pocket buttons. All buttons are a silvery metal - like tin or something.
    Has an extra strip of wool sewn inside the back bottom leg opening, presumably because the pants would get more wear there.
    Only markings found are on the buttons "Equipements Militaires" (French, oui?), and stamped inside the waistband "92 C" (size, as they are right at 36" waist) as well as a circle with "Agostini" around the top of the circle, something like "Co Ltd" and something else around the bottom of the circle, and in the middle is stamped "3 49" (maybe March 1949?).
    No wear to the wool that I can see; some of the paint has rubbed off some of the metal buttons but that's about it.
    I did find this on Wikipedia, which seems pretty close but I'm not sure: "The French army introduced a new woolen serge model in 1946 looking like the British 1937 pattern but with exposed buttons. Though it was intended to be a field uniform, it was mainly used as a winter walking-out uniform until the late 1950s."
    Anyhoo, if there are any militaria buffs on here who might know, please clue me. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

what did it cost to refurb?
    would you have been better off getting different ones with the price factored in?

12. capnwes

$45. No...I stole them off ebay from a first-time seller.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they were originally e-thrifted with the intentions to resell.

If that's the case, Wes, I hope the margins are still great enough after purchase & repair!

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Wes those look awesome. Im after a black suede laceup myself.

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Matt Houston? He would have worn this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Houston Wes, when you find a buyer, send them over to me so I can sell 'em the down-filled leather Eddie Bauer vest I'm a gonna list this fall. He'll need something more comfortable to slip into when he brings his little filly back from the country bar.

16. TheNeedMachine

[​IMG]

Spoo!!!!! Please give me some good news, bro.

Shirt. Men's. Definitely shell buttons.

[​IMG]

Weird pleat that runs the length of the back from top to bottom.

[​IMG]

Back-cinch, on a men's shirt...?!

[​IMG]

Tag.

[​IMG]

Tag.

[​IMG]

Tag.

[​IMG]

Tag.

[​IMG]

17. TheNeedMachine

Holy cow (er, lamb and lizard). That jacket is insane! What a find - I'm jellin'.

18. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

$4 each IIRC. So, bad pass? Would anyone actually buy these?

19. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

real, without a doubt

20. TheNeedMachine

Oh, nice to hear - thank you! I was pretty sure this one was legit - it's more real-looking than all the fakes I've seen, what with the really subdued tag and all...but what had me doubting was there were two of them - exactly the same - at this GW. Who buys two identical shirts? Well, I just did, I guess, so there ya go. The 2nd one has spots cuffs so I'm gonna harvest the buttons as spares, since the 1st one has some obviously replaced with non-shell buttons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.