1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanM

DanM Senior member

Hopefully they will just cancel the orders outright instead of "accidentally" charging people. Folks who bought a bunch of pairs could be in trouble (or just have much higher available credit than I do)

But hey, if you want some nearly new Brooks Brothers captoes, size 10D, check out my ebay link... :spam:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. thenewguy

thenewguy Well-Known Member

Let's adjust that attitude, soldier! Hopefully they will just process the orders and honor the pricing for those who got their orders placed before the adjustment.

2 people like this.
  3. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Stop being so negative! Hopefully they'll honor the orders that made it in so that they don't have outrage threads stating on Styleforum (idea?) Tumblr, Facebook and twitter that would clog search results. A million little rants about how JAB couldn't take responsibility for their own mistake and instead canceled a thousand #menswear followers orders rather than take a $1 loss on each pair.... could make a ripple.

I know I'll be posting my disappointment if they cancel (maybe with screen caps)

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

In that case, did anybody happen to order a few extra pairs in size 11E? ;)

5. DanM

DanM Senior member

I meant to say accidentally charging the higher price. Getting hit for 10 pairs at 335 each would be a nasty surprise.

I really should reread my posts before hitting submit.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I tried ordering 25 pairs. My cart updated to full price...when I saw that #, I quickly X out of it. Lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

[​IMG]
    My humble abode for the next couple weeks. Hopefully hitting the thrifts after some yard work later
    To tide you over here are some e thrifts that came in the mail right before I left
    (Silk knit it from a member it just came that so it is in the picture) expect a whole lot more grenadine most not rep like this one I got a wicked good deal on etsy I should come home to a few nice packages full of them :) the Glenn plaid on the right is Paul Stuart and is raw silk and slubby and sexy and the perfect wedding tie in the perfect width
    [​IMG]

8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Yea that would break my CC max, but I have the confirmations at 39.95 so I don't think they'd be able to do that. It's cancel or honor in my mind and I really hope they honor it. It's one thing to reject new orders when they find the glitch, it's another to void already placed and confirmed orders.

When they honor it (see the optimism?), I got an extra 10D black in case anyone needs a proxy...

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You are living on the set of "That 70's Show"?

6 people like this.
  10. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

In fairness to JAB, at $40 they're likely losing quite a bit more than $1 a pair.

11. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Let's say they lose $50 per pair right. How many pair were ordered in the 20 minute span? 1,000? is it worth a 50K hit to get all the bad publicity for a multi-million dollar company? maybe.

12. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Anyway, back to thrift finds--some leather goods:

Vintage Herz leather tie case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saddleback Leather IPad case (available)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Coach bag
    [​IMG]

Vintage Bloomingdale's shoe care bag
    [​IMG]

Coach women's belt (available, Small)
    [​IMG]

Miu Miu women's belt (available, 32)
    [​IMG]

Gucci women's belt (available, 30)--unfortunately, it is damaged. Is there a simple do-it-yourself way to fix it?
    [​IMG]

Rag & Bone women's belt (available, Medium)--Made in England
    [​IMG]

Some men's belts--the first two are older finds, but I don't think I ever posted them in this thread: Martin Dingman (available, 40), Trafalgar (available, 40), Brooks Brothers (available,34), Giorgio Armani
    [​IMG]

Coach briefcase
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more items with (a little) leather:

Tumi IPad/tablet tote (available)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for small laptops)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for small laptops)--probably my favorite ballistic briefcase that I've come across, but unfortunately too small for my laptop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tumi laptop briefcase (available, for larger laptops)--appears to be older as it was made in the USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brenthaven laptop briefcase (available)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

lol

I'm in the camp hoping they honor the orders.

1 person likes this.
  14. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Hahaha wow I did not even realize how similar my grandmas basement looked to that set

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

.​

WALNUT!

.​

1 person likes this.
  16. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Wait should I be picking up tumi?!??

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

[​IMG]

18. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

My guess is a lot more than 1,000 pairs were ordered. You're talking about buying $150 bills for $40--who wouldn't max out their CC? I initially ordered three pairs for myself, one in each color, then thought about it and ordered ten additional pairs, five in burgundy, five in walnut, and that was exercising restraint (so, if this actually happens and you wear 10D, I'm your man). If I'd maxed out my cards and cleaned out my checking account, I could've had 700 or so pairs. Figure, conservatively, $100 profit for each pair and that's an easy 70 grand free and clear.

The way this thing lit up, I'm guessing they sold more than they had, and I'd be shocked if they don't cancel everyone. Mistakes happen, and the publicity, if any, wouldn't be overly bad. Certainly, it would not be as bad as what BB did a couple years back during a post-Christmas sale when they advertised $200 crocodile watch bands with sterling silver buckles for $20, then sent out cheap-ass bands with stainless buckles that were worth, at most, $20. A despicable bait-and-switch that earned them a nasty letter from yours truly, but they got neither bad publicity nor did they even bother apologizing to anyone. If BB would pull something like that, certainly JAB will say, "Sorry, boys, we made a mistake, but as a token of our regret, here's a three-suits-for-the-price-of-one coupon."

19. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Way to be the voice of depressing reason Pnut...

20. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I personally ended up buying 29 pairs (until they cancel) without any money, they had Bill me later promotion for 6 months interest free. That's all i wanted to mess with or I would have maxed out cards...I'm sure theres people that could have easily bought 500 pairs on a credit card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.