1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concealed

concealed Senior member

personally, i have no problem with these shops trying to extract maximum amount of money... isn't that kind of the point of what they are doing? isn't that what the donor would want?

1 person likes this.
  2. tben

tben Senior member

It's not ALWAYS about money. Do you think Walt Disney would really want a Starbucks in Magic Kingdom?

3. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

1. I'm not THAT skinny
    2. Came home from Utah yesterday to a whole house that smelled like skunk the bastard crawled in through my window can proxy to Wes

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Not really. In the first place, we're talking about unjustified mark-ups, not items that are fairly-priced. Beyond that, low prices ensure return visits, earning stores much more in the long run. (Some managers, like the one right by my house, are quick to point this out, well-aware I'm walking out with an amazing Brioni tie for $2). As for donors, IME, they envision their clothes going to the severely needy or the homeless, which is just not the case.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it's capitalism, baby. And it can backfire.

The local shops, at least so far, have no clue about what's good and what is not. The Nautica and crappy RL gets skimmed for the boutique, which is good, because there's less stuff to go through to find the real deals. SA is the best, or worst, depending on point of view. They've been jacking prices through the roof the past few months to the point where no one is buying the stuff. But on Saturday afternoons, the price goes to 59 cents for the color tag that's gone through the cycle and at that point, the BB OCBD's that had been marked at $12 become flippable steals. SA jacks prices like this every other year or so, and it always works out the same. The bargains end up more plentiful. It's somewhat amusing. What sharks there are around here, and there aren't many, start gathering a half-hour or so before the rock-bottom sale starts, gathering up the over-priced stuff and waiting for the price to go down. You'd think whomever is running these places would catch on, but that never seems to happen.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

:rotflmao:

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I dated a super-wealthy gal who would get very irritated with me when I would toss out socks (like, plain white cotton) if they were developing a hole. In her mind, I should donate them to Goodwill. My reaction was "No one wants socks with holes in them", and her take was "They do if they don't have socks at all". She had no idea how uncomfortable it is to wear socks with holes (she never having done so), and that needy people have standards just like everyone else. She was a good-hearted person (still is), but entirely out of touch on many levels.

2 people like this.
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'm with Wes - I like the smell of skunk. When driving down the road and coming across a cloud of skunk smell, everyone else in the car starts yelling and gagging and rolling up windows, and I breathe it in deeply. I Googled it a while ago and a very small percentage of people do not find skunk offensive; rather, they like it. So, Wes, it's probably your genetics, not your roots. I've never met anyone else who had the same quirk - still haven't IRL at least - but good to know I'm not the only one.

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice! Yup, I roll the windows down all the way.

Top three favorite scents.
    1. Skunk
    2. Burnt Hair
    3. Electrical Fire or smoldering.

Hoping they come out with one of those triple layered scented candles with those 3 smells some day soon.

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I like a faint whiff in the air, when my dogs get sprayed and they bring that shit into my house not so much...

14. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Good point. And the mission of Goodwill isn't so that homeless or needy folks can buy goods for cheap, it's merely a side-effect. They're a non-profit looking to bring in money to fund their community programs and job-placement for the disabled and less fortunate.

All that said, I definitely get pissed when the prices start skyrocketing at my local thrift shops. haha

1 person likes this.
  15. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

First post in this thread, but this is too beautiful not to share (apologies for iPhone photos). This is one of the nicest jackets I've ever felt. Measures out like a 38 or 39. N/A on it's way to silverwearbandit

35% Wool
    35% Silk
    30% Linen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chest - 20.75"
    Shoulder - 18.5"
    Sleeve - 24"
    Length - 30.5

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    4 people like this.
  16. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

17. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Nice jacket, good thing for me that it is too small.

18. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Wow wow wow. I love Luciano Barbera. I would be all over this if it was my size.

19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I've heard the same thing about broccoli, except the opposite: that for most it just tastes like a green vegetable but there's a small % who find it very bitter and unpalable. They're called super tasters.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb/19/health/he-eat19

I don't know what that makes Wes and ATLnoob though. :happy:

20. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Maybe send these guys an email? [​IMG] http://www.hotwicks.com/

One of my go to gag gift websites. The beer candle makes your house smell like after the party before it even starts. Their suggested combinations are priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.