• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfhtrad

Reaction score
Tiles and bricks weigh more than water. Once you start using fresh percarbonate it REALLY has some lifting power, so the bucket on top tips and empties no matter how often you push it down. For a while I was using 3-4 full bottles of Tide on top of a large plastic deli-spread tray placed on top of a bucket full of water. And yet the bucket still tipped and drained...

And never had any problems with MOP buttons. Ever.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Correct. Sorry. In the crush of the post, I mis-spoke. :embar:

Heh, happens to everyone. I once reworded a post without flipping a couple words around and wound up saying I hated one of my favorite drinks (the Old Fashioned). I had made one with rum and was trying to say that I didn't like the drink with rum nearly as much as the whiskey version. I wound up saying more or less, "While I don't like old fashioneds, I don't like them when made with rum". Which made no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
Are these ok to purchase? Bostonian Imperial.

Also passed on this cool Woolrich field jacket.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Insane Haul GMMcL. PM sent on the sexy boglioli

At a "thrift" store in Boston

Boomerangs in south end eh? The stuff in there makes me drool and the prices make me weep. Last time I was in there I saw a RLPL silk knit. Omg it was so nice.
Let me know next time you're in boston! (or if you're here for the weekend hit me up!)

Stained Hermes on the left: Tie Crafters candidate or lost cause?

I just sold a stained Hermes on eBay for $40 I'd say it's worth picking up

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Only grab of the day, and it actually fits me! (with exception of the neck but I'll be working on that). First time seeing CT sea island. Needs the method.

These were still in place
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Left behind a skeet blanket (needed cleaning... someone might have taken us seriously) and a sorta nice Pink shirt. Paired them up and left them in a different spot, wanted to see if anyone grabbed em while I was there (nope). Also missed out (doh?) on a pair of Barker's (not blacks). Saw them, looked them over, only worn a few times at best. Pebble texture, 8 1/2. Saw that they were $15 and decided I had too many shoes around to sell already. Plus the toe was kind of a rounded off square point. Then came to my senses and went to find them but they were gone. Cotton, Xenos, any of you to blame? Haha. Have a feeling I might see a SF'er tomorrow morning somewhere in particular. We shall see.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these ok to purchase? Bostonian Imperial.

I'm no shoe expert, but I think the vintage Bostonians, including Imperials, are well made. Those look nice. So if for personal use, I'd say yes.

John Sullivan

Reaction score
8 dress shirts that were thrifted last week. Just picked up from the cleaners; where they were laundered, pressed and folded. These shirts are too big for me (I wear 15 X 32) so they're all available.
Top to bottom L-R (These 4 have been "Traded")
Gianluca Isaia Napoli 17 X 35 Mariano Rubinacci 17X 34 Luigi Borrelli (Louis, Boston) 17 X 35 Canali 17.5 X 34

Canali (L) Robert Graham (XL) Brioni (M) (SOLD) T.M. Lewin 16 X 35 (FC)

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

7+ stores today (lost count). Several hundred dollars spent. Then again, several firsts/lifers. So... Up first, a handful of squares. All hand-rolled, no name brands. Likely keeping. Next: Ties Ricci, Ricci, Zegna textured (I'd say grenadine, but I know I'd be wrong), NWT Vineyard Vines -- All available Charvet, Gucci, Hermes and in the front: UNLINED, SKINNY, VINTAGE BRIONI in midnight blue tonic with silver dots -- All available Woven silk (I think?), Zegna (KEEPING THESE) Shoes: I don't always buy Cole Hahns...
But when I do, they're mint condition suede, USA made with welted and sewn sole. (8D, though, so available -- preferably to trade for suede in my size) Shirts: Jcrew Haberdash, Paul Smith, Brioni Harvie & Hudson tux, Charvet NWOT, BBGF, BB purple label The flat front trousers: NWT PRL (thought they were Italy, they're not; they're Malaysia. :( So keeping). Zegna super recent, RLPL black cords, Canali, Tom James (keeping), Hiltl (likely keeping) But GMMcL: Does it get better? Sure. Suits: Corneliani (from earlier in the week), PRL by Corneliani (exploring trade now, so temporarily unavailable) and ....
But freaked if it isn't 40R (50R EU). So wish it were my size. Look at the lining on the Corneliani: Again, this is 40R
But GMMcL: Does it get BETTER? Eff you. But yes. Sport coats: Boglioli, Brooks Bros Made in Italy, mystery guest But GMMcL: Does it GET BETTER?
Brooks Bros is dual vented, ticket pocket, throat latch AND LORO PIANA FABRIC AND Boglioli is cashmere blend.
BUT GMMcL: DOES IT GET BETTER??
100% hand-made. I've never seen this much handwork. Feels like cashmere, too, though there is no material tag (not surprisingly). Very good condtion, though a few of the seams need attention. Fits like a 42R. But it's not my style, so available.
Oh yeah: And a case of CFL lights for less than $0.50 per bulb. Should have bought 3 cases. So, on my "found by me in the wild at prices I'd be willing to pay" life list I've done: Zegna higher end (su misura, etc.), Brioni, Loro Piana (hey, it was a women's polo but it freaking counts!), RLPL, Attolini, and now true Savile Row and Isaia. Hey Kiton: I'm coming for YOU!
Edit: The passes were many and varied -- mostly due to price. But I did see alligator belts for the first time. Three of them. One of which was Trafalgar. But the store knew what it had and priced accordingly.
That's like...instant wardrobe for me!

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Insane Haul GMMcL. PM sent on the sexy boglioli
Boomerangs in south end eh? The stuff in there makes me drool and the prices make me weep. Last time I was in there I saw a RLPL silk knit. Omg it was so nice.
Let me know next time you're in boston! (or if you're here for the weekend hit me up!)

My parents live in Boston (I grew up there)

I got into thrifting like 6 - 7 years ago and I could find amazing stuff at the various regular Boomerangs, now apparently it all goes there.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So...I committed one of the cardinal sins of thrifting last night. I found an amazing double breasted striped orphan. Savile Row tailor, peak lapels, pick stitching, double vent, ticket pocket, surgeon cuffs etc. Well I searched the entire men's and womens section for the pants. I even had someone check in the back. I also inquired about the distribution and was informed it is at least 20 stores. No luck.

But I bought it anyway. Might regret it, but I am a sucker for bells and whistles.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So...I committed one of the cardinal sins of thrifting last night. I found an amazing double breasted striped orphan. Savile Row tailor, peak lapels, pick stitching, double vent, ticket pocket, surgeon cuffs etc. Well I searched the entire men's and womens section for the pants. I even had someone check in the back. I also inquired about the distribution and was informed it is at least 20 stores. No luck.
But I bought it anyway. Might regret it, but I am a sucker for bells and whistles.

Sacrifice a small pet and all your sins will be forgiven by the sartorial gods. Thrift in peace.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMMcL , you did well mate.

Got a BB trench which fits better than my current one, a Lacoste Made in France canvas shirt, and a Press shirt (no size, will measure) plus that NWT AG jeans. I am hoping the jeans will pay for all.
Passed a Bally and vintage Wakover pepplegrain longwing, ventless Corneliani and Canali, BB cord jacket, a Sierra Designs Zone womens outershell which was made in Canada and I thought was newer stuff, and a vintage womens coat which said hand made in France from the boutique Nina Ricci.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wes, my condolences for your loss.

GMMcL , you did well mate.
Got a BB trench which fits better than my current one, a Lacoste Made in France canvas shirt, and a Press shirt (no size, will measure) plus that NWT AG jeans. I am hoping the jeans will pay for all.
Passed a Bally and vintage Wakover pepplegrain longwing, ventless Corneliani and Canali, BB cord jacket, a Sierra Designs Zone womens outershell which was made in Canada and I thought was newer stuff, and a vintage womens coat which said hand made in France from the boutique Nina Ricci.

I just sold AG jeans for a whopping $22. But the Nina Ricci may pay for it all, and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads