• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you are able to control your CCDD chronic compulsive dibsing disorder. Lol

lol8[1].gif

I've found a temp. suppression. It's called thrifting!!! Found some stuff. Popped my Chipp cherry and found a few PS shirts that fit me perfectly! Oh yeah, and my first Barbour. Passed on a bunch of stuff I never thought I would of pass...Brioni pants, PZ jacket, and a Jil Sander shirt. That thing was so soft.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant, dibbs on that reversible vest! :devil: Finally got out today, only for one quick stop, picked up this mint vintage Scottish cashmere v-neck by Alexander's for $2. Judging from the tag, it's looks to be from the 60's? This is the good **** right here, suuuuuuper soft with nary a pull or moth hole in sight. :slayer:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the good **** right here, suuuuuuper soft with nary a pull or moth hole in sight. :slayer:

I recently thrifted a Jaeger Scottish cashmere cardigan, same era, and what's not mentioned in all the blah blah blah about the quality of cashmere from back then is how warm they are. It's the best sweater I own and perfect for around the house or as a layer of insulation.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by a shop nearby that is a huge miss about 90% of the time. This was not one of those times.

Armani

Armani

Zegna

Oxxford (brown, not gray)

And the closer...
Solid Navy Blue Brioni, Double Vented, Super Fresh (N/A):

Left about 6 Armanis (3 of the newer label, 3 of the older "Le Collezioni" label), and one other Oxxford due to a bit of datedness (unvented, etc.). If anyone is a 42L and interested I can go back and see if anything is left.

Also, at another store picked up this BB Charcoal Pinstripe Suit (41L)

And this NWT Waxed Canvas J Crew Messenger:

Happy hunting, boys.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lapel is different, but that fabric and button configuration reminds me of something...

Have fun with your new 10th doctor costume!

Last edited:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped by a shop nearby that is a huge miss about 90% of the time. This was not one of those times.

Armani

Armani

Zegna

And the closer...
Solid Navy Blue Brioni, Double Vented, Super Fresh (N/A):

Left about 6 Armanis (3 of the newer label, 3 of the older "Le Collezioni" label), and one other Oxxford due to a bit of datedness (unvented, etc.). If anyone is a 42L and interested I can go back and see if anything is left.

Also, at another store picked up this BB Charcoal Pinstripe Suit (41L)

And this NWT Waxed Canvas J Crew Messenger:

Happy hunting, boys.

Lucky you, especially dat oxxxxx

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently thrifted a Jaeger Scottish cashmere cardigan, same era, and what's not mentioned in all the blah blah blah about the quality of cashmere from back then is how warm they are. It's the best sweater I own and perfect for around the house or as a layer of insulation.

Totally, it's in the process of being cleaned as we speak, I can't wait to bust it out! ^^^^^^^^^ @ Cottondockers, Dammmmmmmmmm!!!!!!
Also cross post from the How to wear a green blazer thread.
LE Loden coat
J Press buttondown from EvilAbed
No name burgundy wool knit
Docker's D1 slim fits, not thrifted (I really need to step my trouser game up)
Grenson shortwings which got summarily passed over the first time I posted them :violin:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ those grensons are too big/wide for you.

love that coat, though. :slayer:

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally broke my drought in a small way (not with standing my Soviet tie from above).

Ralph Lauren Polo Jeans down vest.

Insane - and they really are! - brand new old stock Dack's camel skin shoes. 8 1/2 F. From the anniversary stamp on the sole I think these are from 1984.

An Original Gloverall Duffle Coat (48R), Made in England.

The second time in a month that I've found Ray-Ban Gatsby sunglasses.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't been able to properly get out there for awhile, but I managed to get to a couple of minutes squeezed in today. First of all, I found out that the shirt(s) were NOT Nanamica, but rather Niama Man and Nanuk, so nothing special :embar: They did have nice buttons, though!

This is one of the windows of a thrift shop I stop in every week. Normally their window displays leave a lot to be desired, but I thought they did a decent job with this shearling coat:

I came out of a meeting this morning that happened to be next door to the consignment shop that I saw the Hermés ties in the window. On a whim, I went in and there were a couple still left. I bought one without taking a close look at it until I got home. After I made it home this evening, I found out that not only was it purchased this year based on the 2012 ribbon, but it was NWT :slayer: I'll probably get back there for the other one.

I passed on these...I believe they were size 36. Tommy Bahama jeans. Nothing special about them, unless someone here (or their father) particularly likes Tommy Bahama.

I was thrilled to find this NOS Borsalino in about my size. It was made sometime between 1957-1959 I believe and still has all of the shop tags and the crown insert. Never been worn and it's mine :D. I attempted to adjust the photo to show its color, but it's really a dusty sort of grey. I found my first Borsalino two weeks ago and thought it would be another couple of years before I found another one in as nice of shape. I hope these things come in threes.

Finally, quick story. I stopped by the grocery store next to my apartment building to pick up some beer. I had eyed this Christmas pack, but I know it's cheaper at another grocery store and 2-3 of the beers are just okay, nothing special. I decided on a 6 pack of an organic beer that I hadn't tried. I grab it and then see that there are single bottles of the Christmas pack available. They were from a broken pack of the Christmas pack and they had been stocked on a shelf. No problem, you can always buy single beers or take single beers from six packs. I get to the front, explain to the cashier what the deal is and she says no problem - until they won't ring. She gets another employee to come over who says that I can't buy them. I said that's fine, I'll just take a six pack. A different employee that I see all of the time says, "No no, they should ring up!" They didn't and he said "ahh hell, just sell them for .10!" So, I ended up with a good amount of beer for next to nothing!

Anyone else thrifted beer before?!

These are some of them...

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, since we discussed possible bleeding from using The Method, I wanted to post some findings. I put three dress shirts (blue and pink), and one old tee shirt (red) in the bucket for a soak in Oxyclean over night. The red from the tee shirt bled and ruined two dress shirts that came into contact with the fabric. The tee shirt has been washed many times under normal washing conditions, not delicate, so I thought it would be fine there.

I would use like colors, or avoid tee shirts altogether. I soaked the tee shirt since it had some stains that didn't come out in the wash.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, since we discussed possible bleeding from using The Method, I wanted to post some findings. I put three dress shirts (blue and pink), and one old tee shirt (red) in the bucket for a soak in Oxyclean over night. The red from the tee shirt bled and ruined two dress shirts that came into contact with the fabric. The tee shirt has been washed many times under normal washing conditions, not delicate, so I thought it would be fine there.
I would use like colors, or avoid tee shirts altogether. I soaked the tee shirt since it had some stains that didn't come out in the wash.

I actually just tried this with an old white silk pocket square with a thin red border. The border bled all over the square but did not get on either of the two shirts that it was with. Square was a bit whiter/cleaner though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads