• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
nest.gif
nest.gif
nest.gif

Quote: About 10% finds, 90% bitching.

Quote: Burn baby burn!

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I tried explaining to the guys that you bought a star map on Hollywood Blvd. and would be busy till after Christmas... I think they bought it.
I'm actually up in Ventura for the next few days. You should be hitting up the LA area nonstop. Meet me in Camarillo on Friday?

You don't want to know. Really. Some good things were found, but there was more bitching. Suffice it to say lawyers get upset if you call them "crafty".

You forgot Nat's amazing CT jeans... Really cool and unique and DM7 would probably like those more than the tailored stuff.

CT? Wow, sounds like the first 250 posts of the thread that I won't be reading
rotflmao.gif

In my news: I might be running into some nwt Borrelli ties... PM me if you'd like some at cost + proxy (if this bothers anyone... please just PM me and I'll delete it immediately). Yes, there's a story behind the ties, but I'd rather keep it to PMs.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

As long as I'm in New Haven for thanksgiving I think I'll test the rich neighborhoods theory in the Greenwich area

I don't know if you are just looking for clothes, or occasionally branch out. I've had better luck at the Greenwich antique shops than thrifting. Prices are sometimes higher, but they are open to haggling. I have found amazing items in the area - 18th century silver, estate jewelry, Japanese woodblocks. On a sartorial note, I also used to be able to find boxes of buttons.

Richards is probably having a trunk show this weekend. (Since they were bought up and became a department store rather than a haberdashery, it seems like that's all they do. And, for that matter, those kids should also get off my lawn.) Still might be worth it for giggles/nostalgia.

Also, Morello has the best Italian food in the area.

Good luck!

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was posting on /fa/ and some poster challenged me to post a fit with my thrifted items, so here it is.

Sweater - Pringle of Scotland, thrifted by me for $5
Shirt - Uniqlo oxford, bought on sale for $15
Tie - Hermes, thrifted by me for $2
Jeans - Gap selvedge, bought new by me for $11
Shoes - Alden, thrifted by me for $7

That is the coolest god damn sweater I've ever seen.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never too late to take up bike repair.
nest.gif

I tried explaining to the guys that you bought a star map on Hollywood Blvd. and would be busy till after Christmas... I think they bought it.

lol8[1].gif

I was posting on /fa/ and some poster challenged me to post a fit with my thrifted items, so here it is.

What? Showing appropriate amount of cuffs with sweaters?! Great paying attention to details!

That is the coolest god damn god damming sweater I've ever seen.

fing02[1].gif

Towers

Reaction score

Don't like crew necks with ties, otherwise good!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went out this morning quickly and picked up a Samuelsohn from 2005. 41 R.

That's spectacular. It would fit me.

hey guys, that Brooks Brothers 41R NWT suit i picked up last week is available. 

if nobody wants it, to the tailors?:decisions:

Man! If I was still allowed to wear suits to work...
2b394a23_jealous.gif

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

...and the same to everyone else!

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

Wait. Shouldn't that be "the coolest goddamned sweater I've ever seen"?

I'm voting for: that's the god damned coolest sweater I've ever seen.

Except for the fact that it isn't. But that's besides the point.

Enjoy your turkey today boys. An go COWBOYS!!!

highlifeman

Reaction score
Quote:

+ 1 Everyone!!
cheers.gif

On a thrift related note.....as I'm trying to keep out of the kitchen this morning....picked up this pretty cool (or at least I think so) jacket yesterday....

Does this style jacket have a name/ anyone know what it's called?

St. Michael (from what I can tell is a Marks and Spencer brand), tweedish.....thinking about keeping but my wife is not a fan...

Will try to post a few more finds from the last week or so a little later..been kinda dry here lately though too ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads