1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Sounds like a crazy haul! That Brioni S/C sounds interesting!

I'd love to find some of these Jack Robie shirts in my size. I came across 4 NWOT shirts at my local thrift a year or two ago. Size M too and they fit slim. Passed them onto someone on here. They're great shirts. Excellent cut and really well made.

2. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

Faconnable windowpane w/ Loro Piana silk/wool/linen fabric.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attolini for Barbera 100% cashmere check

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Agreed. Colors are great, buttons are great, quality is up there, they're made in America and retail for the same price as PRL. I'm not sure why MC isn't more up in that business. (Is that a real saying?)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

you reallly were the best up there , with claymore a close match I think! voted.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Having been in Walmarts in about 20 states, I wholeheartedly endorse that statement. Nothing beats walking through a Walmart Superstore at 2:00AM in the middle of nowhere. Well, perhaps Dollar Stores in small town West Virginia... That beats all!

6. Pupatl

Pupatl Member

Atlanta as well, but don't worry I'm not really any competition for flippers. I go once a week for a few hours Saturday mornings on different routes close to home, mostly as a stress reliever. Yeah the GB for Muses I thought was a neat quasi-historic thing to have - as mentioned it has some weird fabric damage on the back right at the bottom (and on the *back* of the shirt, not the front), so it won't show when worn. I was thinking purchasing non-my-size-items strictly to potentially start trading on here as there are some items that I know are going to be very difficult to find in my size and so trading through this community will be easier.

Only one shirt in this particular batch still had the collar stays, one of the Brooks Brothers and they are only plastic (but with a nice silver BB logo [​IMG])

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Last-minute tips for Berlin?

I remember someone saying the thrifting was terrible.

8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

PM me when this goes on eBay!!

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

You're doing it right. Just aim for things that fit you and fill a hole in your wardrobe (or are just too fantastic to leave). It probably won't take long to collect many more shirts and SCs than you need, then you'll have a better eye can start being more discriminating, and you'll surely re-donate some of this stuff. As you learn what you like, and what people on this thread like, you'll get a better sense of what's worth buying to flip.

11. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

So I leave for a few months to get all lawyerly and we've got people in Ferrari's now?? Damn, I shouldn't have fallen off the wagon, I might've had a Bugatti had I stuck with it.

Good to be back though guys, glad to see people are still killing it and doing their thing. Back in NY this summer so I'll probably be doing a bit of thrifting here and there, but also gonna be looking to pick up some staples and maybe some new shoes/shirts. Ended up going through with my plan and finally gained a little weight and mass; the young man is getting grown :slayer: Hope everyone has been doing well, love seeing the posts up here again.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Some finds:
    I’ve found 2 staple navy blazers w/gold buttons in 2 weeks. Both in my size (!) One is a Pal Zileri one that will probably need liner repair. The other is a BB Brooksease that is 3 roll 2 with LP fabric. Because of this, I’ll make available another BB brooksease navy blazer that has served as a major workhorse for me in the trade thread (apolgies for the bad pix, but when I get something for me, I usually take a backseat pix then it goes to the dry cleaners)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prada jeans, I think they are 36wx34.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice construction on this shirt and it may be a SWD fave, but not sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Older charcoal E Zegna suit. 48Rish, but untagged.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB 1818 pin stripe navy suit with LP fabric. Tagged 48XL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Best personal find in a long time: One of you dudes posted a Tincati suit recently. However, the one that was posted was made by Caruso, I think. This Tincati is made by St. Andrews. Maybe Tincati is like R. Lauren that gets several makers to do their stuff. Regardless, this is a great piece. Fully canvassed, 3 roll 2, coveted light grey color, split vents. My size! It did have a small hole in the back but I’m gonna get this reweaved because this is a color I really need.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

[​IMG]

Mezlans. Gator or Croc. Real or fake?

[​IMG]

14. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

I'm no Spoo but I'll say real and gator, since it's missing the iso pores that croc skin has.

15. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

So has anyone found JS homestead for the thread yet?

16. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Where would a NWOT, drop crotch, twisty legged pair of these rate on the rarity scale (in the US at least)?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I was like ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made in China.

I felt a bit like the Anti-Foo. I left it.

This was five bux. Should I have kopped it? Andhurst. 40R. Cotton. A variety of alternating pastel stripes.

What would I wear it with?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  18. barrelntrigger

^^ Dig, what you are wearing right there is fine with that jacket. I dig! COP IT! [​IMG]

19. barrelntrigger

I've passed on these shirts before due to not my size. If they were, I would cop.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/descendant-of-thieves

20. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

I looked like your average crazy when I found this. I actually shouted at this "what the fuck are you doing here?!?"
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.