1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Re: Harris Tweed, I only pick them up anymore when they have a size tag...and a lot of them do not. Then of course weeding out the ones with any moth damage, I end up buying 1 out of 15 or 20 I come across. They tend to crop up around here (the South) in batches - see them in spades then gone for 6 or 8 months.

You must be near the south as well, to scare up a Muses shirt. I buy Gitman for myself when I see it and it fits; only Gitman Vintage to flip.

The red tag Tyrwhitt is probably the Sea Island Quality Cotton or whatever they call it now - typically among the more expensive of any of their shirts, and a nice find for CT stuff. Bonus if it includes the brass collar stays, which they usually do not, even though they all include them when bought new - people keep them when donating.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Boy that is the best :revolve: that could have happened! a triple touch of thrifters on that piece! :slayer:

PS - I didnt know that was you messenger - will amend those shipping charges stat.

:plain:

I think it works, only if you wear it, driving the ferrari to the disco on ladies night, to have a grand drug exchange there. Anything else would be just foolish.

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Ooftah.

Son-in-law is from TLo10KL and often utters this when he settles into a comfy chair.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. vlassis

vlassis Well-Known Member

What's that? That's Yohji Yamamoto!

1 person likes this.
  5. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

I tried!

6. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Had a massive haul when I went down to LA this past week for pleasure and work. My haul came from my clients and some consignment stores.
    The great thing about this trip was not only the haul but also that I won $2500 playing cards, which covered my new Stoptech brakes and everything else with some $ leftover :slayer::slayer:

Will try to post pics when I can but brands such as:

Dsquared2 (3 shirts and 1 of the most awesome cardigan/coat/sweater thing), Kiton, 3 Brioni suits and 1 Brioni unstructured SC, Diana Von Furstenberg, Loub's, Sutor's, RLPL, Gant Michael Bastian, Isaia, MMM, Gucci, 5 pairs of women shoes, 1 womens handbag, Finamore, and more I can't remember.

Pretty much all is available and will be up on B&S or ebay unless if something is worked out.

Cheers

7. suited

suited Senior member

tj maxx yields another good Hickey Freeman tie for 12.99, cashmere blend. Also liked the way this polo fit, 29 bucks.
    [​IMG]

Anyone looking for a good deal on a suit hanger for under $15, check out bed, bath and beyond. For 12 bucks these are pretty good. They measure about 18" and just under 2.5" wide at the ends. There were no rough spots at all on these, nice and smooth. They aren't as pretty as the set I have from The Hanger Project, but they seem to be well made.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

[​IMG]
    Thrift fit,
    Vintage Sierra Designs 60/40 parka
    Barbour
    Filson x2, one from Nat
    Lake McDonald in Glaicer National Park.

You guys killed it while I was gone! Soooooo much good stuff, I'm not even going to quote anything. Shout out to Gmmcl for some awesome vintage slim fitting patchwork madras trousers that were waiting for me on my return!

The Tetons!!!!!! One of my favorite spots on the planet, bar none! Everybody should go there at least once in their lifetime.
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

This is my biggest gripe too. If you want to donate something that's dated, fine. But you have to be real piece of shit to basically use a charity as your own personal garbage dump. Absolute best case scenario (apart from a strong wind blowing the bag out of the donation bin and onto the asshole's windshield so he loses control and drives into a telephone pole) is the store manages to sell it to someone who doesn't see the rip, and then turns it into an ammo bag.

Nicely done! Also, if any of that's around an M/40R-L/34W/shoe size 12/45, colour me interested .

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thrift stores sell much of their donations down the line to either used clothing exporters or fabric recyclers. If it ends up in the store and is badly damaged, it'll eventually head for one of those two places. Much better for it to end up in either of those places than the trash.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Haha, I did see that. I'm a terrible Minnesotan, though. I have a copy of "Lake Wobegon Days" that I never did get around to reading. It's a staple in any Minnesota household's bookshelf.

This. :laugh:

:slayer:

Wow - what a magnificent place to visit! I can't imagine being there in person.

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

14. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

These are the 2'10" ones :) ...style 717..one is older than the other..mid 80's-90's on both I think....I have about 8 rugs, ranging from 30-50 years old I think, with a few newer ones...I just always look and buy them if they are handmade...I knew the Karastans were machine loomed, but still a great deal.

1 person likes this.
  15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Arrived today just as they were putting out shoes. Puzzled over a pair of U.S. made cowboy boots in 9.5 D that appeared in good condition, but I know nothing about cowboy boots and they didn't have leather soles, so I passed--at three bucks, it wasn't so much the cost as space considerations. The Red Wings have a bit of wear to the soles, nothing serious, but they fit, so if they don't flip (and I think they will) it's not a total loss. The Vasques were no-brainers, GoreTex and all. Looks like someone wore them once and decided that whatever they were doing in them was not something they wanted to do again.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eazy, those Glacier pictures are weirding me out. I totally love the place, but haven't been there in at least 15 years (time flies). There was WAY more snow on dem peaks when I saw them, and in late summer. So much for global warming being BS.

16. talitashaloma

talitashaloma Active Member

Don't give up hope! You could probably get that fixed.

17. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

THE BUTTON HARVEST BEGINS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-->

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NO SHIRT WILL BE SPARED

18. tubs

tubs Senior member

Congrats on a great weekend! Looking forward to seeing some stuff on B&S or eBay.

19. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I myself own about 3 pairs of those exact hangers.
    Upon first inspection, they are great.
    Normal use will yield many years.
    Dropping them on a carpeted surface at the correct breaking point, will split the piece of shit wood that it is.
    But at that price, I'm not going to complain much, the shoulder contour is superb for my Jackets.
    (don't forget ur BB&B 20% coupons, and be careful in that "beyond" section)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.