1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Sorry, dude, that's not the RRL you've been looking. Bill Blass is no good, either. Lord & Taylor sells low to mid tier men's wear. 7 Jeans and the Givenchy are not good either. But, welcome to the thread and hope you will learn lots just like all of us. =)

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Licensed, bro.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I've had buyers "dazzled" by the Lord & Taylor label - sold a cashmere sweater tagged only as L&T for good $ - for some reason the name draws in some folks. I might have picked it up as well, being "vintage 100% cashmere"...heck, I bought a Jos. A. Bank the other day, which I never would have save for it was 100% silk and some people believe JABank stuff is "quality".

4. TheNeedMachine

Hah yes that is the better term I was looking for!

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

glad to help. the owner probably wore it for daveing (prayer) at 3 times a day, not to mention general wear. jewish hats get a lot of wear and hence get dusty and worn out very quickly.

i am where i am needed. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Some whimsy for this evening.

My 10-year-old daughter, who's super stylish, wanted to get a tie for herself. I sent her into the kids section and she came back with three. Two were small, like 16" (maybe made for babies?) but this was the one we decided on. It's kids sized and made by Dockers, but it's 100% silk. Not bad for a first outing. She spent some time this evening going through my collection. I told her Ralph started with ties.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Is Hickey Freeman universally good? I've come across a few and passed a couple up because I just wasn't liking the feeling of the suit. Got one recently because it was one of the rare that wasn't orphaned, but I don't dig the feel.

8. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Sweet Botany SC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dunn & Co. w/ Harris tweed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VTG Brooks tweed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tommy Bahama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLBL shirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLBL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rugby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rugby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanted this jersey for a long time...Jordan commemorative Dream Team jersey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Rugby ties
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reyn Spooner Hawaii made shirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect timing: my childhood friend's wedding is next weekend and he's doing it redneck/country style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

BB jacket and jordan jersey are sweet!

10. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

BEST POST EVER! LOLLLLLLLL

11. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Double quote, but wtf... Welcome to God's country Spoo, there is a clear reason you selected your wife, im sure she's beautiful, and the South has the most beautiful women... hands down, not even close. Go to Oxford Mississippi and argue with me.
    Edit: had decent luck today, hallmark piece was my first PSmith tailored piece, a suit nonetheless, reunited. PIcs tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Whu.... I ... He ... *Le Sigh*

Potentially first Versace I've ever wanted to own and wear.

I will physically fight you.

Fun with interwebs: Read him with an Arnold S/early days (like, Hercules or Conan) accent. It's fun. But srsly, he sounds like Einstein. Obviously.

Dig. I love you. But the Maryland accent? No.
    Nails. On. Chalkboard.

Dunhill can be very nice. Well made. Fabric is a bit sandpapery though. History is very interesting.

WORLDS ARE COLLIDING. YOU'RE KILLING INDEPENDENT GEORGE!

'Sup dudes. My work computer still isn't lettin me into SF, so I've been in absentia. Found some nice stuff lately. Add it all up and you get somewhere in the vicinity of 18 Zegna ties, all current or recent label, about a half dozen T&A ties, Alden cordo calf and Bally suede loafs for me, a few pairs of assorted trou, including RLPL, a Loro Piana vest (but I fear its wimminz -- does men's ever have the zipper on the left?), several Paul Stuart suits including an olive green birdseye pattern I've never seen before, BBGF polos, a vintage bespoke tails tux that's destined for the vintage thread -- so much more. But its quarter end and my life is cray cray. Pics soon I hope.

A few passing thoughts: Can one get a mildew smell out of oilskin? Anybody know?

Fatto a mano on a pair of Zegna slip ons. Is that significant? I just assumed they were Ferragamo made as part fo that collabo. But when I saw that, it rang a bell.

As those in the Ebay thread saw, I'm planning an experiment to identify an acceptable "method" for woolens, to remove that nasty staining at the lining. There will be victims, though, and I'm not willing, even in the name of science, to saccrifice items I paid $10 or more each for (standard trou prices in my area). Anyone willing to conmtribute to the name of science? I'd be looking for your WOOL trousers with WHITE (originally, at least) lining that you're willing to NOT get returned if they are ruined (happy to return if they survive). Ideally I'd like all mid-gray, just so there are fewer variables. All those willing to contribute to the progress of science and the useful arts, please PM to the left.

Edit: Oh yeah. Picked up some wool panthys on that tip from a few days back. Ended up with some extra charcoal gray wool/synthetic blends. I already have my fill of those. Anyone need? PM me; happy to hook you up.

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Oops. Double. Pls remove. kthxby

14. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Ok...dont click link if looking for menswear!

[​IMG]Frank Willett Studio Pottery - California Potter
    [​IMG]2 count em 2...12' Karastan runners
    [​IMG]See..its pretty!
    [​IMG]I thought these were my wifes size..oops..quick ebay $ anyways
    [​IMG]Wishing this was a Ricoh or Contax or Yashica
    [​IMG]Yes I am a dodger fan...and yes I saw all of these guys play!

15. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Had another quick outing today and the luck held out ...

Zegna sports coat, green with rust windowpane. My size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chester Barrie grey plaid, size 43R
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set of basic business shirts for big guys. 4x Charles Tyrwhitt and 1 BB 1818. All size 20, solid colours, very versatile. Will probably try and sell as a lot.
    [​IMG]

16. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

on ebay can you place a snipe bid for the same amount as the buy it now?

17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I might be misunderstanding you, but why would you want to? If you're prepared to pay the BIN, why not pay it immediately?

Pretty sure a service like Gixen will do that, but you do run the risk of the auction ending early at a price you would have paid.

1 person likes this.
  18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

You can......

19. TheNeedMachine

You're speaking my language...I'm a Karastan fan...easier to find vs. hand-knotted/Oriental, look as good and wear better.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hold up now! I'm from MD here too, but I'm sure Dig can attest that my accent, being from the Eastern Shore, is quite a bit worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.