• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went out this morning quickly and picked up a Samuelsohn from 2005. 41 R.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These past two week's are by far the busiest of the year for me at work, so I haven't been thrifting in a while. However, I did get some packages in the mail the other day, HUGE shout to Highlifeman for hooking me up with some pristine antique J Press charcoal flannel trousers on the cheap!!!! Got them back from the cleaners today, fit pic below. I also received my Secret Santa Thriftmas present from LooknGr8, a grip of ties to go along with a vintage BB DB blazer and topcoat. Thanks man, you rock!!!!!
So, since I snagged these J press trousers from 1966, I thought I'd mate them with this J Press tweed sack jacket that I picked up last year, but have yet to wear, as I think the sleeves need to be let down a smidgen. I've also been itching to try out this Allen Flusser made in Scotland fair isle sweater, pared with my go-to BB non lined collar OCBD, Lands End green,silk knit tie, and AE Dalton's. Sorry for the disheveled sweater/shirt/tie appearance, I threw this outfit on in a hurry. Now, back to work with me. :cloud:

The Press jacket in all it's glory, 3 roll 2, hook vent, neck latch, leather buttons and undarted. :slayer: ****** also weighs about 8 lbs, talk about stopping bullets!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice!!!!
interesting on multiple levels without looking too busy or looking like you were dressed by the internet. A+.

Thanks Mexi! I also wanted to say, these are how the trousers arrived in the mail, no alterations were done to them. Perfect break, not to billowy or with a crazy long rise that I've found on every other pair of vintage pants I've come across, I hate to use the word "timeless" but I think in this case, it's accurate. And one more thing, I'm not going to single out any one person, because you all have been KILLING IT. I've got the itch soooooo bad, I can't wait for the holidays to be over. 150-200 pages of new posts in a day makes it really hard to keep up, but I'm trying. :D

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Brilliant.
I suppose I could claim Austria...

...but I doubt that I'd really need to claim the entire country. There aren't many trespassers on this board. We did have a few Germans come over the border in the late '30s, but I don't think they were hitting the thrift stores.

lol8[1].gif

I was also unaware that you'd written a book on the subject (literally), Nat. Well done! I may just have to pick up a copy myself. Amazon?

Hey bud, you know there's a thing called Photoshop, right...

If an epidemic broke out in that area, there would be a whole lot of sick *****

fing02[1].gif

Vintage Leather

Reaction score
If we are talking about brilliantly written, philosophical mysteries (two pages ago?), I highly recommend Dorothy Sayer's Peter Whimsy books. The prose is dense, occasionally littered with classical allusions and poetic fragments, composed of denouncements broken with philosophic debates and the occasional chilling reference to WWII and Hitler.
My post-Thanksgiving plans include a bit of cheese, whatever wine is left over, and my old copy of "Murder Must Advertise."

Last edited:

pfhtrad

Reaction score
I would imagine the real gold lies on the main line along rt 30 west from Philly...follow the money

Being in Philly, no. Not at all. You would think so - I know I did, and for a while I was scouring what I could in the Main Line on a regular basis. But prices are through the roof, quality is just not there even if you go regularly and often. Not to say I haven't found neat things every now and then but not nearly enough to justify my return.

Perhaps when it comes to ladies clothing, things are different. Also, many of the older hospital thrifts which were very abundant even 10 years ago have shutdown or have their days numbered due to the privatization of hospitals.

Not to many Goodwills either. Closest one is half an hour drive from where I live.

For some of the other larger chains I know for a fact the good stuff never gets out on the floor. Made friends with some of the workers who tell me stories of "office politics" involving most of the higher end brands, jewelery, etc. The good stuff only makes it out when the get to backed up with donations to sort it out.

While this is some of my "territory" so to say, if you'd like to waste your time go right ahead. Most of the thrifting I do is outside Philadelphia proper - and away from the Main Line - where the religious charities are stronger and receive more donations.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the recent discussion of thrifting in high-income neighborhoods, I figured it might be good to try the 5th highest income county in the entire country.

Gentlemen, I'm going in.

Oh thrift gods, who art in Goodwill...

Shiny

Reaction score

Are you including *******, or is that just outside your zone?

That's ******* Brilliant!

I thrifted some suits and such and will post tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance.

Sweet finds Andro and WGP :fonz:

(To my DC peeps) I was talking to the manager of one of the GWs. She told me that they will have "hourly" specials throughout the day on Black Friday. Things that she mentioned were B1G1 Free hour, fill a bag of stuff for $5, shoes 25% off, etc. May be tempted to check them out. I don't know how the thrifts will be on black friday since isn't everyone at the malls? But what do i know :confused:

Xenos

Reaction score
Recently:

Faconnable wool SC; Made in Italy; size 46R; double-vented; surgeon's cuffs

Hickey wool SC; Made in USA; size 40R; single-vented

Gianni Versace SC; unconstructed; single-vented; probably 42R

W.W. Chan custom suit; medium blue; single-button; double-vented; Scabal super 100s; probably 38R

Polo wool suit; Made in Italy; charcoal grey; double-vented; forward-pleat pants; size 40R

Polo navy blazer; Made in Italy; double-vented; size 40R

Caruso SC; Silk/wool/cashmere; Handmade in Italy; pale blue; double-vented; size 40L

Valentino suit; Wool/silk; double-vented; size 44R

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hey Handershund, I have a great bridge that just might be coming available, thought you might be interested...

lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Hey bud, you know there's a thing called Photoshop, right...

fing02%5B1%5D.gif

Okay, I'm an idiot. To be fair, I'm technically not a ******* idiot though. I saw it before I went to a meeting and it looked fairly authentic, so I didn't pay much attention. You damn kids and your photoshop! :D:happy:

Are you including *******, or is that just outside your zone?

The village of ******* :rotflmao:

If an epidemic broke out in that area, there would be a whole lot of sick *****

Don't forget about their sister city in Thailand, Phuket.

Only 104 ******* F***ers.
Bangkok too.

HH would you proxy that sign for me? Lol

That's ******* Brilliant!
I thrifted some suits and such and will post tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance.

*******, Austria is a real town and it's become a tourist attraction from what I understand. Unfortunately, it's pronounced slightly different in German. The wikipedia page says that they've had to reinforce their village signs as they were stolen on such a regular basis. There was an article in the paper about a German brewery that was making a beer called "******* Hell," as hell in German means "light." It was a light ale that was supposed to be a play on words. ******* got upset as it wasn't made in their city.

Below is a clip where Graham Norton calls the tourism board of Upper Austria and asks questions regarding a visit to *******. It's awkward and you feel bad for the person that's really trying to help, but it's also hilarious.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

flatspotting

Reaction score
Alright so I never had a chance to post this on the weekend, but this was a find for me - I don't even know if it would be flippable if I wanted, but I like it!

Armani Collezioni Sportcoat

Althought it doesn't look it... it's actually a dark green in person... at least in proper lighting

Also, I had a chance to get the AE Cordovan Randolphs all polished up for eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads