The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Huge DFW fan. What a pity. I've read most everything he's written. You really must read infinite jest.

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

This was really helpful, thank you. I was having so much difficulty determining which laws were the ones that matter, and BAM, here you are to clarify and simplify it for me with such grace and precision.

Forever in your debt.

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Not sure what kind of magazine you're talking about. If it's a fashion magazine or a guitar magazine or a magazine about stuffed animals, then journalism chops wouldn't matter. OTOH, if the magazine is about consequential matters, then, yes, journalism chops count. As for "just writing and reporting," try running a magazine, even one about stuffed animals, when your contributors can neither write nor report. Writing and reporting is harder than it might look, and anyone who has run a publication of any quality can attest to the panic and rage that breaks out when alleged journalists file schlop, which happens regularly.

Any rate, something seems weird here. Why would a publication practice reverse age discrimination? That's going against the grain. I'm just saying.

4. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Will do. Though, it won't be very exciting. I plan on doing BINOBO; my last SR auction didn't go as planned.

I had a feeling it was WWII, but hotdiggitydamn, you're right about the tag. Marked November 10, 1942. Thanks for the info! :)

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I would rather not turn this into the last off-topic thread discussion I was involved in, but that was not your point. You generalized all lawyers by saying, "We'd all be better off with...fewer crafty lawyers." Your point wasn't to state the status of legal jobs, but rather to degrade the profession.

I love that you found a way in the reply to spin the post to degrading the profession again (hating on ALJ's...seriously?) and then ending it in perfect egotistical fashion. Bravo. [​IMG]

6. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Oh, get over yourself. A bit defensive, methinks.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What is reverse discrimination?

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Are you a Catholic veterinarian or something?

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Not at all. All in good fun.

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You do recall what started this off-topic discussion, right?

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Age discrimination is actionable. Which is to say, if a company discriminates on the basis of age, it can be sued. Such lawsuits, virtually always, are brought by older folks who allege they were fired/laid off because of their age while younger folks were kept on the payroll or even hired fresh. Almost never are such lawsuits brought by younger folks alleging that older workers got the gravy. Not hard to see why: By virtue of seniority, older workers make more money than younger workers, and so there is an incentive for companies to target older workers in an effort to cut costs.

That's what I mean by reverse discrimination. It is difficult to imagine that a company would discriminate in favor of younger workers.

12. Towers

Towers Senior member

^^ seriously, you can stop now.^^

Can't tell if joking or not.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yeah. It was some guy who lost his job who complained that older workers get more money for less work. You seem a bit passive aggressive here.

14. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Seen a few heads mention lately that theyre going through a dry spell (thrifting-wise)
    I myself have had shitty luck at places that I normally ravage and take home at least 1 grail find.
    Whats the deal?

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Hey, for real--I appreciate it. Stay cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.