• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW that Oxxford is made by Kiton.

Wow, thanks for the info! What's the tell? Are all Oxxford shirts Kiton-made? It's definitely my favorite shirt of the lot. The button down collar has a perfect roll.

Last edited:

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, thanks for the info! What's the tell? Are all Oxxford shirts Kiton-made? It's definitely my favorite shirt of the lot. The button down collar has a perfect roll.

The label, and if you look at the buttons they are the tan shell, also, it was made in Italy. It should have hand felled seams all over it too!!!
Only the made in Italy Oxxford shirts are Kiton. Most of the rest are US made.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know anything about these labels?
1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes, those labels denote garments not worth your while nor anyone else's, but it being the spirit of taking, I mean giving, I will happily lighten the load on your closet and take whatever it is that label is attached to and even pay all shipping costs involved. I can only imagine...

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The label, and if you look at the buttons they are the tan shell, also, it was made in Italy. It should have hand felled seams all over it too!!!
Only the made in Italy Oxxford shirts are Kiton. Most of the rest are US made.

Yep, it appears to have all those things. Thanks! I had never seen hand felled seams before. They look awesome. I was thinking of having this shirt taken in slightly, but I'd hate to touch those seams.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

The GW boutique shops around here are filled with all the good brands, but you have to pay too much (for thrift shops) to get them. I'd rather hunt through the other shops to find the same things for 1/10th of the price...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put darts in the back, dont take them in on the seams. I have one that I had that done to, it worked like a charm!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think Gibson & Barnes made naval issue G1s. I believe it's a replica made for civilians, which would explain female sizing. Still not bad -- they retail for $3-400.

Agreed that it is a replica. The label doesn't look at all like my 1983 issue G-1, or any other US military label I have seen. Think black on white. So this may be made to USN specifications but it does not appear to be USN/USMC issue.

Issued G-1 jackets are even-number sized and are meant to be form fitting. Female naval aviators are probably issued jackets cut especially for women. A busty woman in a man's jacket would look ridiculous because the rather high waist of the jacket would be much too wide in fit. G&B definitely makes the G-1 in women's sizes, as evidenced by your jacket and the G&B website.

IMO you have a women's jacket which is cut as a women's jacket and would not be a proper fit for a man. I wouldn't cut the label off and sell it as a man's jacket.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put darts in the back, dont take them in on the seams. I have one that I had that done to, it worked like a charm!

Good call. I'm not usually a fan of darts, especially on a shirt with a box pleat, but I think that's the route to go with this one.

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to the outlets today the only worthwhile thing I found was a purple label in size L with a cutaway collar for 75 with 30% off but I passed

Stewie

Reaction score

It's always interesting how one store can sell items priced high weeks earlier then they bring out something that is way cheaper but better condition.
Still in their "boutique section" but less than a couple jacksons...this one makes me happy...though torn between keeping and selling:

Nice quick flip on this jacket. Woolrich 60/40.

So...to keep or to flip...talk me into selling these! Never been worn.

And a xmas present for my son, the tax attorney!

Almost forgot this...nice Donegal Tweed!

sorry for the sideways pic..too tired to fix.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Ian that was your best fit yet by far! Some things till a tad short as mentioned, but this time you don’t look like you grew 3inches after putting your clothes on haha. Also, props on sticking around. I remember that first post, I was thinking “this dude is a ******* douche” however, you persisted, learned and are a good contributor. Aww I love watching thrifers grow up in thread!
I just wish I was a normal size!! and thanks
fing02[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Ian that was your best fit yet by far! Some things till a tad short as mentioned, but this time you don’t look like you grew 3inches after putting your clothes on haha. Also, props on sticking around. I remember that first post, I was thinking “this dude is a ******* douche” however, you persisted, learned and are a good contributor. Aww I love watching thrifers grow up in thread!

Ouch!
uhoh.gif

Bro, Troika is a big fan of Makers especially the whimsical ones.

Some recent finds, most from this past weekend:

A green toggle-coat by Abercrombie and Fitch, made in Italy, with real wood toggles, horn buttons, throat latch, no A&F logos/markings on the outside (size M, available):

Unfortunately, the seams that hold the toggles are about to break. The top toggle is fine, but middle two are wearing down, and the bottom one is in terrible shape.

Ties:

Massimo Bizzochi (available), Stefano Ricci, Paul Stuart, Missoni

BB vintage Christmas tie, Brioni (available), Stefano Ricci, Berend Dewitt

ancient (I believe) madder by Drake's (available), Hermes, current BB #1 repp tie, vintage Talbott repp tie with woven hunting motif

A pair of really nice vintage odd pants by Daks--they feel like a tweed, beautiful pattern, flat front, cuffed, side adjusters (no belt loops), all wool (available):

Brooks Brothers vintage backless plaid silk vest (size Large, available):

A pair of jeans:

this pair has started to fade in spots (not available)

Another pair of jeans:

this pair is in pretty good shape, no noticeable fading yet (available)

A brown check sportcoat:

Burberrry London by Hickey Freeman (size 38 R, available)

Another flannel sportcoat:

working buttonholes:

ticket pocket:

3-roll-2:

double-vented:

can someone ID the maker?

not sure what I want to do with it yet--it doesn't fit me, so probably available

Straight up gangstah! Oh yeah, Dips on the APC if I'm not too late...
uhoh.gif

Thrift fit today... Pretty pleased with the fit, not so much with the pics... Think I need to break out my tripod and use my eBay photo setup

Boglioli flannel blazer, eBay
Borrelli shirt from Klobber
Vintage Oscar de la Renta tie from the 1960's (still has the $30 price tag on it) thrifted by me
Howard Yount Italian flannels
Church's chocolate suede loafers traded from Patrologia

Love that blue!

I'm just worried somebody who works in admissions at a college you apply to will find your SF posts. Then it's Cal State - SF for you.

Uhhh, I'm not sure if I should be LMFAO or
ffffuuuu.gif

Oh well if you are calculating it that way I got a 1500 I did poorly on the writing section I got a 12 on the essay but missed all the grammar multiple choice xD
That is true although I assume it would be harder to come across that on a forum like this than what people are posting on Facebook although I probably should change my username

Yeah bro, I think that's a good place to start...I, too, have learned it the hard way.
uhoh.gif

That's a def. cop for Ebay. I don't think any thread members are into super low gorge.

picasioncom_92f21b7d8eece9f26b1b9d50c45a9c69.gif

First things first....

25" what is your real identity.....stretch armstrong???

Next matter of spoo-ification

Hey Wes, I've sold about 5 pair of those. 4 sold for around $30 to $40. But the last one went for more than $80...WTF?!

+1. Deets on if they are LVC or the real deal? If they are actual vintage, that is truly a rare find.
Dang! What a haul! I'd go back when you have more time and turn the place upside-down.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Pfffffff......lucky! Ours knows their stuff too well. Takes the thrill of the hunt. They even know what Thom Browne and band of Outsiders are. WTF...

Maybe they lurke this thread?

Almost forgot this...nice Donegal Tweed!

sorry for the sideways pic..too tired to fix.

What size is that?

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in their "boutique section" but less than a couple jacksons...this one makes me happy...though torn between keeping and selling:

Yes! Jackpot! Ding Ding Ding! $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads