1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Just a couple more T&As in my size. Can't go wrong with more solid blue dress shirts.

[​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:

Nice! +1 to being made by Zegna. That's an older Zegna tag. Pre-2006.

Nice haul! I never knew Talbott made suits.... I'd be interested in seeing pics of these. I'd say these are more of a unicorn than Zanella flat fronts!

Cannot believe this is real! I just thought some counterfeiter had a good sense of fashion humor.

:crackup:

:bounce2: :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I'm going to say it is very unlikely Boss. Boss suits always have the name listed in the form "Jacket" / "Pants" (eg Jam / Sharp); older labels have the model name at the top (older fabric style tags), new labels have it in smaller print towards the bottom with a QR code on a more plastic based tag. These newer style tags have made their way to almost every garment type; you can find it on shirts, pants, and even hats now. It's great for finding details as it states the model name of each garment. This information is also helpful to determine if the jacket you have found is an orphan or a jacket. Jacket on it's own has just the model name (ie Einstein), and orphan has both names (ie Einstein / Omega). ...and before you get on me about Boss being shit clothing; not all thrifts in the world are stacked with SF approved Italian labels. My lemonade stand sells Hugo Boss. It's good to know what lemons make good lemonade

1 person likes this.
  4. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Well-Known Member

2 pc. suit. (Available)
    2 button jacket 42 R
    trousers 36 X 31.5 (flat front / uncuffed)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Noobish question: anyone have tips for thrifting in the Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater area? Or, upscale consignment / resale shops?
    I'll be here through the end of the week, mostly tied up but hopefully can get out to a few more places. Stopped in a couple GW's and one SA and didn't find much of anything. I probably need to find some spots in better areas, but I haven't lived here since the early 90's and have forgotten where almost everything is.

If so, thank you.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I think these are all fair questions. Since I travel a lot, I find myself asking these questions myself. But to avoid KenP's issue above, should we all agree to share responses by PM only? And I generally offer anyone who shares spots a free proxy on any finds in their size, the idea being that they could have found it themselves but for sharing with me.

2 people like this.
  7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

And I may be wrong but the newer tags appear to be made of some tyvek-like material (i.e. smooth and almost glossy) while the older tags are made of some sort of fabric/miracle fibre.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Agreed - responses by PM, if any, would be ideal - I'm sure no one wants to share their honey-hole with anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread from outside of SF...and if anyone ever asks about the ATL area I'm happy to PM in return (have done so in the past). I personally would not expect a proxy in return for giving a few tips - chances that I am going to the same place on the same day & time are pretty slim. That said, sure, if anyone PM's me with a good spot or three I'm happy to let them know what I found and see if they're interested.
    Pretty dry the few places I went so far - picked up one T.M. Lewin shirt (left 2 behind due to slight collar discoloration); Paul Stuart shirt, Ralph Lauren "made in Italy" black leather penny loafers, and a few records.

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I got you. Give me a couple minutes and expect a PM soon.

10. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Cool rule.

1 person likes this.
  11. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

Any guess on a number range at all?

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

13. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

[​IMG]

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Here's what I would do, put them on ebay, start it at .99 and see what it brings...then you can let us all know since you don't like any of the answers.

1 person likes this.
  15. eazye

eazye Senior member

16. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I'll take them off your hands for a $100 disposal fee.

17. tben

tben Senior member

I wish they were my size as well. Unfortunately, they aren't. The one you quoted is my favorite.

18. codhead

codhead Senior member

[​IMG]

and a

[​IMG]

19. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Lord jesus. Finding a mint pair of 45 RPM jeans in a thrift is likely more shocking than what I missed on Game of Thrones last night.

20. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

woooooooooo!!! congrats Dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.