1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Awesome to keep, don't do so well selling for whatever reason.

Had to do a double take as it's a keeper tag I don't see often and it's unlined. Best $4 investment in a long time and on the slimmer side. Already hanging in my tie closet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thank you! This is going into my label folder.

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'm currently in Burlington, VT, for the jazz festival. No thrifting to speak of, but I'd be happy relocating here from Atlanta.

Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places ...

4. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

A quick stop while out for groceries this morning. All headed to ebay to finance for this summer's vacation fund.

The nice thing about living in Canada is that a lot of the local menswear stores will deal in Samuelsohn, since it's Canadian.
    A Gables Samulesohn in a beautiful dark grey Super 150s. My size too! :censored:
    I left a dark grey nailhead, same cut, orphaned.

[​IMG]

Jack Victor, staple blue SC. My size. The guy had obviously donated the stuff above along with a blue Pal Zileri SC with a 3" gash along the side

[​IMG]

Barbour Liddesdale. My size again! :cloud:

[​IMG]

Private label Harry Rosen wool tie, Made in Italy.

[​IMG]

5. sthenosall

sthenosall Well-Known Member

Thought I'd brag a little. Nothing spectacular yesterday but a few nice finds. Mostly all ties, so here goes!
    I like the purple a lot but I'm not sold on the striped, may be available.
    [​IMG]
    I find a few of these every now and then. Even though they are not my favorite tie, I still enjoy the knot they tie.
    [​IMG]
    Found a lot of knit ties as well, but already had most of the colors or they were flawed but I did pick up these two.
    [​IMG]
    One is a burnt orange and the other is an awesome lavender. I especially like the orange because of its unique diagonal weave. I don't know anything about Zileri ties but it seemed like good quality, plus I needed the color!
    [​IMG]
    Also picked up a cool vintage grenadine tie, older and a little thin but still nice, and I'll definitely wear it.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know when Polo made these, as I know they don't make them now. I never pick up Polo ties but this one was an exception. I like the navy color, goes well with almost anything.
    [​IMG]
    Finally I found an awesome sport coat. I don't know anything about the label but it fit me like a glove, the only reason I even pulled it off the rack because of the color. It is a vey deep purple, so much so you have to do a double take to see exactly what color it is.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone knows of the label I would appreciate some insight. It's a daily heavy weight coat, great for fall. Definitely older but I still fell in love with it when I felt how well it fit. Pure wool.
    [​IMG]
    I also got this from my father who spent a fortune on it. He never wore it and its to big one me.
    [​IMG]
    This is an incredible overcoat. I have never had a nicer one in my hands. 100% cashmere.
    [​IMG]
    It has an awesome waist belt and is in basically new condition. Charcoal. So sweet.
    [​IMG]
    And here is the best part.
    [​IMG]
    Loro piana. I so want to make it fit but its just to big.

1 person likes this.
  6. wcl

wcl Senior member

When you said you were invited into 20' container to look over a rack of coats I had a picture in my head of the equivalent to the creepy "Free Candy" van :rotflmao: Glad it all worked out :D

A real quick shot from yesterday.....
    PRL Italy Blue Linen SC 40L, Beretta Made in Italy Car Coat Large, Yohji Y-3 Medium, New Steven Alan Tweed Made in USA Med, United Arrows Made in Japan 38
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

On the top of my head, I thrifted a Town Square Clothier or something brown herringbone tweed that's the gorge is a bit low by today's standards. However, that thing fits me like a glove so it's happily sitting in my closet waiting for the colder weather. I also got a vintage, 60's Cricketers's SC from Wes a few months ago. This thing is pretty well made with tiny lapels and metal buttons. The lining is a bit torn and in need of replacement but the jacket fits me pretty damn well. Keeper!
    98% cotton and 2% something...Made in China.
    [​IMG]

8. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Well here's something.

When I first began thrifting a few months ago, I had one of my best hauls to date. Beginners luck I guess. Couple of HF flight coats, 3 Oxxford suits, bunch of high-end shirts, NWT ties, bunch of shoes etc etc. One of these Oxxford suits was a tan 3 btn suit. Didn't really think anything of it besides being an Oxxford, as I didn't see myself wearing tan nor had any interest in 3 btn suits. Then I tried it on and started noticing how awesome it is. So I took it to the tailors as it was a bit large. Just got it back and I couldn't be happier (except the pants need to be shortened a bit) So here's a thrift fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxxford Suit (thrifted myself)
    CT shirt (thrifted myself)
    Navy Grenadine (e-thrift)
    Coach belt (thrifted myself)
    Not shown: AE cap toed oxfords (thrifted myself)

This thing is gorgeous. Soft 3/2 roll, roped shoulders, double vented and made out of 100% gabardine. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of hand work. EVERY single last stitch was done by hand and the gabardine wool shows it off. Now I usually prefer a slimmer Italian silhouette, but I love the American cut of this suit. Now I have the perfect outdoor wedding suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry for the flash on the pic... It adds 1 or so inches to the left, my right. Admittedly I need to start working out again, but that shadow is not helping... [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I had to look this up. I would've called this Twill. Gabardine sounds better, but I would have to see the 2 side by side and have someone tell me which was which before I knew.
    From Fairchild's Dictionary of Textiles, 7th Edition:
    Gabardine: A tightly woven, warp-faced fabric made with a 45 degree or 63 degree angle twill and given a clear finish. The warp generally employs twice the number of yarns per inch as does the filing, and the diagonal rib or cord is distinct, closely set, and raised. Made with carded or combed, single or ly yarns of worsted, cotton,silk, manufactured staple, and various combinations; in dress and suiting weights. Must be stock, yarn, or piece dyed; generally a 2 X 2 twill. The fabric wears well because of the twist in the yarn and the texture. Uses: men's, women's and children's wear; sportswear, suits, uniforms, riding habits, raincoats, skiwear, fabric shoes.

Several sources attribute its development to Burberry in the 1890s. I've found 1894 and 1896 listed most often. Gabardine is not listed in Cole's Encyclopedia of Dry Goods in either the 1894 or the 1900 editions.

The key features of modern gabardine are the distinct diagonal rib or cord, the 'hard' finish created by the tightly twisted yarns, its firm hand, and the clear finish.

Twill weave: A basic weave characterized by a diagonal rib, or twill line, generally running upward from left to right. Each end or crosswise thread floats over and under at least two consecutive picks or lengthwise threads, and the points of intersection move one outward and one upward, or downward, on succeeding picks.

anyone have an easy twill/gabardine demonstration?

11. suited

suited Senior member

I can't speak for others, but 90% of the time when I make something available it's not a flip, it's at my cost. The two most recent transactions I did were $8 for a pair of AE, and a Zegna Su Misura blazer I gave someone for free. In the past I have charged more, when I was new to the thread, but I think I've only sold 4-5 items to thread members since I began posting here.

12. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Thanks doood!

I don't have anything wool twill just cotton twill so I can't really show a clear comparison, but I know the suit is gabardine because of this

[​IMG]

It is very soft probably due to the yarn count that it mentions and is sleek, almost shiny, which I assume is due to the "clear finish".

13. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Picked up nice pair of Church's wholecuts but can't seem to figure out what model they are. Anybody familiar with this one or able to decipher the chicken scratches?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Those Church's are 10.5 UK I believe, so about 11 to 11.5US

15. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Looks good, but I'd say the trousers need to be shortened more than just a bit. Maybe like 2 inches?

1 person likes this.
  16. ArborVitae

ArborVitae Well-Known Member

I think my original post got delayed and lost because it was my first post. I'm curious to see what you guys think.

17. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

I need a black English shoe ID as well, if anyone could be so kind. I can make out "Made in England Exclusively for Brooks Brothers" but would love to know the makers name on this.

Also would like to know the size on em. I wear a 10.5 C/M in most shoes, US size, and these are pretty tight width wise but good length wise for me.

[​IMG]

more details

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Ya I would agree. A bit wasn't quite accurate. And if I had to be nitpicky I would say the jacket is maybe 1/2"- 3/4" too long and the sleeves might have ever so slight pitch issues. But I'm not going to even consider changing those because the gabardine shows everything, tailoring mistakes included.

Oh ya best part about the suit: costed me $10.99 [​IMG]

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

One stop for the day spent all of $26 on myself... Perhaps not SF approved, but I'm happy since I live in this kind of stuff.

-Patagonia Capilene lined windbreaker
    -Prana full-zip hoodie
    -Prana t shirt
    -Mountain Hardwear tech t shirt
    -Patagonia shoes

Everything my size and thoroughly unavailable.

[​IMG]

20. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I wish I could find outdoor stuff like you... only thing I own is a patagonia shirt that I wear whether I am hiking, or flyfishing or what have you and I wish I had more gear this is "fueco" approved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.