1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So, anyone care to inform me as to how a $1300+ Pair of Bespoke Tux Shoes ends up in a hole in the wall thrift store in Gettysburg?

Kow Hoo, Hong Kong
    http://kowhoo.com.hk/index.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

Maybe everyone thought they were just the patent leather military dress shoes.

3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

In the listing you'll have to say you found them at a very distinguished Gettysburg address.

:embar:

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:lol:

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1 to reef knots. They are great, never ever have to worry about retying ur shoes mid day.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, dood! But bottom line, I knew when I put it on I would get some very sad faces around here. Watching everyone disapprove was actually kind of fun. Life is far too freaking short to take yourself, or anything you choose to do, too seriously.
    I was going to make a joke about surrender, but it would have worked much better if they were FRENCH bespoke shoes. Here are the cufflinks from yesterday. [​IMG]

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

What's the house number for Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?

8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

yea good point

9. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Try this. My wife teaches kids with autism and this is how they teach them to tie shoes:

Once you get used to it, you'll realize that you've been doing it wrong your whole life :).

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow!!! :slayer:

Thanks! Oh definitely, but it did find a good home. :)

11. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Quick lunchtime haul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worn maybe three times? My size Allen Edmond Cole's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigantic Zegna. Never seen this label before.Tagged 58.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canali Suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

I
    I think that zegna lable Is the old made to measure

13. suited

suited Senior member

Picked up this Yohji Yamaoto, needs a monogram removed. I took a chance, any good?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Found my first Comme Des Garcons today. Sadly it's a L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think I teleported to NYC. Kris can asche. Raf mainline and a boatload of yohji runway stuff. Oh and a weird silver label Dior jeweled pair of pants. No Monsiuer on the label. Wierd.........

5 people like this.
  16. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

No! Go to your clothes drawer, pull out the plainest brown leather dress belt that you own and wear that. You could also get away with a solid navy grosgrain belt. Do not wear a pattern with those trousers, and do not wear white. The key to making GTH work is to wear just one GTH element, and you've used up your quota with those trousers. The white shoes are also a mistake--what are you hoping to accomplish by piling neon on top of neon? That sort of thing invites involuntary servitude with Barnum & Bailey as an unpaid clown. If you do it right, half the people will laugh at you. If you do it wrong, everyone , including people who know how to dress, will laugh.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

:lurk:

18. Pupatl

Pupatl Member

Ok, first time trying to post pictures. Pants. All obtained in the last 2 weeks with knowledge gained from this thread. Today's purchase was a single yellow/blue stripe Charles Tyrwhitt shirt not notable enough compared to the rest of the thread to take pictures of/post, though it is quite nice. For now I am only purchasing for myself, no flipping or selling (partner's already a borderline hoarder so not sure if adding a bunch of not-my-size clothes is a wise move) which is also why the pictures suck since I don't post to eBay or B&S.

[​IMG]

Zanella wool Super 120's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers corduroy with Lora Piana cotton. 2nd picture captures the color better. Very soft.

And easier the biggest find of my relatively short thrifting hobby so far, which I totally have this thread to thank for in terms of being able to recognize quality even before seeing the label:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My tailor had to fix a slight tear at the pocket, but otherwise these fit like they were made for me. Incredibly comfortable. I actually made an audible enough sound when I saw the label that one of the ladies in the store was concerned I had hurt myself.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - pretty dead on here. Everyone off getting ready for Memorial Day vacations/get-togethers or something?

Easye and Suited generated some thrift synergy that made it's way up to Minnesota.

Easily broke my record for total spending at a thrift store today. Also, I've never needed boxes over bags for clothing that I've bought from a thrift store. I can now honestly say I know what it feels like to walk in DM7's shoes for a day.

I'll leave you with this as I run these through the dryer to freshen them up and snap photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

I'm gonna give a preemptive daaaaaaaaang. Makes me want to get out in the field.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.