1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

You want the short answer or the long answer? Well, Edwin is kinda like the Levi's of Japan. They've being around for not that long, for maybe around 60, 70 years (or maybe less...) Just like Levi's, they've put out their shares of crap especially for jean jackets. I think the most common jean jackets you will find floating around are these.
    http://www.gilt.com/brand/edwin-jeans/style/jackets

Or these...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axs-sanshin/item/edwin_46270/

Some SFer was selling theirs for on the cheap.

BUT, if you do find their Overworks Factory and Vintage (from what I can recall, those are two different lines), (think LVC selvedge level) in a thrift, like this

http://www.superdenim.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=2800

denim heads will give you zee props and basically will call you the winner of the interwebs. Me, personally, I don't think denim jackets are really all that popular with the "normal" crowds because not too many people like wearing Canadian tuxedos. But I'm sure you can make some money if you buy the right ones. Anyhow, I'm sure denim heads will know more.

Which ones you got? Dibs if my size!!!!!!!! LOL JK JK. I'm actually super broke after buying that kick ass, sweet Billy Reid...But seriously, if you find stuff in my size, let me know so I can get super jelly and get all denim boner from it! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

So what is DM7 tumbler??

PS - that's not the shocker... closer to 'I love you' I think

3. LeafAndArrow

LeafAndArrow Senior member

More like the Mano Cornuta.

4. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

I think the thumb needs to be out for I Love You, that's devil horns/evil eye protection.

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Amazing haul, but I think this got lost in the other amazingness. That will likely make you wish you were a drinker, I'd bet.

6. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Not sure if I should have bothered, do you guys normally pick up Charles Tyrwhitt shirts? I picked up 2 in my size with French Cuff in nice colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burberrys Madras short sleeve
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left these 4 behind, looks like I probably should have at least picked up the Ted Baker tie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. barrelntrigger

CT isn't really that hot on here but we have members pick those up. I usually pass them along unless they fit me really well. TB doesn't get much love on here either. But I really like their Endurance line tweeds. I'll pick them up for sure if I see them in a thrift.

8. suited

suited Senior member

Thx. There's one sitting at a thrift I go to multiple times per week. It's definitely not the product in your last think, though. I'll get some pics or maybe just buy it because it's probably only a few dollars.

9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Respectfully I disagree. To me it was one of the few cases where an orphan looked good... when it's clear that the wearer knows full well what they're doing, and the rule-obsessed be damned. Tie is what makes it, I think.

Ah damnit. And here I was about to go on an expedition today.

Now then... I've been meaning to give a big SHOUT OUT to two members who hooked me up recently, but have been waiting for the right time. Here it is.

Thrift fit from yesterday (excuse the camera angle... my torso isn't really that ridiculously long):

[​IMG]

Jacket - MMM (big thanks to RANDOMORE)
    Shirt - J Crew (t-rifted)
    Pants - Vince (Holt Last Call)
    Barely Visible Boots - Alden (chocolate suede, big thanks to ShoutOutsFoMyBo)

As usual, you guys rock.

1 person likes this.
  10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I'm a fan of CT, even at "retail" (you know, comparing apples to apples). The price is right, I've locked on to the right fit, and you can get some colours, patterns that you don't normally find in a generic menswear store. Compared to high-end items, they're no match but you could do a lot worse. So at thrift prices, if you're building a wardrobe, pick 'em up.

Their Sea Islands are also nice. My favourite shirt is a SI from them. I'm wearing it into the ground. Collar and cuffs are wearing away but it's the perfect weekend, super casual shirt.

11. barrelntrigger

Derail: Is Don Draper going through a mid life crisis in season 6?

12. barrelntrigger

I think type I usually do better and are pretty damn rare.

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

He's having a hard time handling the narrow lapels and skinny ties of the late 1960s.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Wow, you're right. I even went to cross check a pair of trousers I recently picked up. Brain fart. :facepalm: For some reason, my mind still saw the white label. Maybe cause the pants are white?
    [​IMG]

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

I think the LSD, vitamin C shot, got to him.

16. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I gotta disagree with the God in the Ferrari [​IMG]. I thought the orphan looked fine in the context as it had bold yellow stripes that went with the pants, almost in the vein of a striped alumni jacket. Keep on Greg

17. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nataku [​IMG]

After a long dry spell (and I mean long - haven't found anything worth mentioning really in months), I had a good haul today.

Some more ties. Knit ties by Paul Stuart and Ben Silver. Ferragamo butterly tie and Lords ascot. Passed on about 20 Vineyard Vines ties and a whole bunch of knit ties (Polo RL, Dunhill, Holland & Holland, etc). Kicking myself hard but had no choice. Was out of money.

[​IMG]

Knit ties are on my immediate "to procure" list - so if you run across some at good prices and have cash to spare, keep that in mind. That is an interesting shade of green. Can't decide if I like or no.

18. suited

suited Senior member

It would be for resale, but the market on ebay seems pretty bare, hardly any listings or sold listings.

19. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

No you didn't error on this one. I pass on Coppley all the time; they are easy to find here in Canada. Although they make some good quality garments, their lower new starting price point and lack of name recognition make them a poor resell for the most part. However, they are good pick up for yourself.

20. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

You tie your shoes wrong. I've been gone a few days and haven't caught up yet but this stuck out and I had to comment. That's a 'Granny knot' instead of a proper 'Reef (square) knot'. You can tell because it runs North/South along your foot instead of East/West. Granny knots work to untie themselves. Reef knots work to tighten against themselves. Just switch the way you start out by crossing the left lace opposite the way you usually start. Finish the knot the way you've done all your life. It'll take a couple of days to get used to it but you will. You're welcome. :) [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.