• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mox C

Reaction score

Anyone know the quality of Johnston & Murphy shoes at slightly above thrift prices and used, to pick up for wearing not for flipping? They say Made in Italy and appear solid but I have no experience with the line.

The newer made in USA and Italy models are perfectly serviceable, especially if you are buying for yourself and they fit well. I tend to consider them filler shoes until something better comes along. That's easy to do, as we tend to see similar prices for all the shoes we come across. If we were paying commiserate with quality at the retail level, I wouldn't be spending the extra required to upgrade.
--
Edit: Doh, AE's... yeah, I'd go to that level. Not a big retail price difference, but a noticeable quality difference between J&M to AE.

Thanks for the help. Bastards as in very heavy and bulky?

All that metal in the heel helps with durability, but can make them slippery on certain surfaces.

(too slow, as usual)

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Well never mind the bastards, guess I got distracted longer than I thought.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bastards in that they are notorious for slipping on hard floors and putting the wearer on his ass. Seriously. V cleats can be dangerous, which is why, I suppose, they are no longer on the market. Don't get me wrong, Imperials with v-cleats are fine shoes indeed, but I'm in the camp that prefers non-cleated Imperials. They may not be as cool, but after more than a few moments of terror, I can live with that.

Hahahaha, I know what you mean after I got a pair from JPMorris!

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a page from Spoo's playbook when listing that Burberry Trench I found.

"Hey, honey, can you come model that thing I found at the thrift store that I said you could have, but then since you really didn't want it ...."

"OK, I guess."

"Hey, honey? How much do you weigh?"

"....."

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim Imperial! Not my normal size, but they fit me well enough to keep (not available). Other than the heel wear, these are in really great condition inside and out. I posted some detailed pictures; are these V cleats?
v cleats make you feel like you can kick the **** out of anyone. But watch out for recently buffed floors.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aaand a vintage cape with gold buttons for my wife.

I bought something eerily similar decades ago for a woman who very nearly became the first Mrs. GMMcL. And strangely enough, I saw something eerily similar at a local Salvy on Friday. Men's and in rough shape. But I had the same trip down memory lane both times....

shoehaul.jpg

Torpor. Achieved.

Sorry Spoo, 11D.

Aaaand PM. Sent.

^^^I hereby declare pauly22, "No longer a noob"!

Seconded. Motion carries.

No stores this weekend, and no pics of my cool finds yet; daughter's birthday this weekend and when I wasn't cleaning, prepping or interacting with visitors, I was managing kids so my poor wife could recouperate.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
rlbrownmain.jpg

Stumbled upon two RLBL suits, need to let out the hip area by a 1/2 an inch or so and the waist. Hope these are the real deal so I can tailor & dry clean them to use as beaters. Anyone know if these are legit? Made a thread with more photos here.
Those are freaking awesome. I await the day when I get a single button peak lapel. Impossible to find RLBL suits (even at higher prices) my size. Wear those till the arms fall off :)

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a spill on an icy sidewalk one day, and that was the end of the v-cleat for me. First thing I do when I find a pair of long wings is replace those heels.

Bastards in that they are notorious for slipping on hard floors and putting the wearer on his ass. Seriously. V cleats can be dangerous, which is why, I suppose, they are no longer on the market. Don't get me wrong, Imperials with v-cleats are fine shoes indeed, but I'm in the camp that prefers non-cleated Imperials. They may not be as cool, but after more than a few moments of terror, I can live with that.

So worth the awesomely loud "click clack" sound though.  I love them. 

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So worth the awesomely loud "click clack" sound though.  I love them. 

"Click, clack, click, clack, click, clack, whoa-hay-yow ****, thump."

That latter part is always louder than the "click, clack."

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought there was a "what to do when **** goes sideways on eBay" thread somewhere. Can't seem to find it. Anyone?

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took a page from Spoo's playbook when listing that Burberry Trench I found.

"Hey, honey, can you come model that thing I found at the thrift store that I said you could have, but then since you really didn't want it ...."

"OK, I guess."

"Hey, honey? How much do you weigh?"

"....."

:lol:

guyver00

Reaction score

Ok, whats better than a heated car seat in a state with -20 temps in the winter? An Irvin RAF jacket. Better still? A 20 dollar Irvin RAF jacket.

OMFG :worship2:

I've been on the lookout for a leather bomber jacket like this for ages. Nice!

CesarC

Reaction score
Ah yes, I was fooled, too. I thought they were 7.5-8 judging from the other shoes, since I was assuming those others were normal sizes (i.e. not 14's!). 9's are totally normal-sized...
sly.gif

Last edited:

charliebrown

Reaction score
I took a spill on an icy sidewalk one day, and that was the end of the v-cleat for me. First thing I do when I find a pair of long wings is replace those heels.

Ditto. Love the look of vintage longwings, but I'd much rather spend the $20 on a reheel than take a spill. Not real clear on the appeal of the v-cleat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads