1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Your size if you want 'em. Did pay $17 for them though.

2. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

3. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I'm well fed on the credit card diet. I started using those to buy high end bikes that I had planned on selling within a reasonable amount of time. Turns out, like many of us, I am a hoarder.

Today I found a butcher stripe Loden Dager shirt (L) and some RRL selvage denim (31 x 34). Pics later.

4. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Any 46's interested in pure cashmere Chester Barrie or Sulka suits/jackets. 45 each I can cop for you.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

I thrifted a Ferrari.

Many years ago,when I started flipping from thrifts and realized that you could make money in this thing of ours, I thought it was awesome. I thought it was great that I bought a jacket for $10 and sold it for $50. I used to use the money for extra stuff, like more clothes, and other stuff.

But then I read the book about the red paperclip and said Hmmm. Taking something thats treated as disposable and turning it into something so huge. Thats something. So, I started a plan. I would take every profit I made off of a thrifted item - nothing to do with LuxeSwap and anything from my business, but things that I found at thrifts and consignment shops and sold, and started a savings account for this. It took a long time, but finally, a dream has been realized. This car was born of things that nobody else wanted. Things that people discarded. I wanted to be able to say I thrifted a Ferrari. And I did. Countless hours of searching through Goodwills and Salvation Armys will be reincarnated as hours of enjoyment driving at extraordinarily high rates of speed. :)

So to anyone who is reading this and has a dream that you never thought you could attain, something that you always wanted but never got or couldnt afford, Im here to tell you that with hard fucking work and dedication, some luck, some elbow grease, and some sacrifice, dreams can come true. Mine just did.

Now, Ive got a tach to redline, catch you guys in a bit.

Oh, and this is available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    13 people like this.
  6. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

Went back. These were actually at thrift prices.

Custom made jacket made by Sartoria Ravazollo. The Loro Piana Cruise Line cashmere/silk fabric on this thing is the most insanely soft fabric I've ever felt. Crazy. An older lady in line with me just started rubbing it and asking what it was made out of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barbera cords

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brioni cream trousers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orvis crazy dog shirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RLPL trousers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jil Sander for uniqlo women's shirt, not sure if its worth much

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loro Piana purple dress shirt, store had tagged it "Lord Tiana"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I ran across this clothes rack hanging out near the dumpster behind Marshalls. I was gonna buy one today.

[​IMG]

And FYI, if any 46-48Rs are looking for a nice 3/2 sack suit, I left one with this label there. It was a staple pinstripe, and I THINK that the silver label is Martin Greenfield. Anyone know?

[​IMG]

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

Way to go, bro. Something for us all to aspire to.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+100! Way to go, Spoo! :slayer:

Have fun!

9. aglose

aglose Senior member

In the field. Found a lanvin but really old I think single vent patch pockets. Worth picking up? [​IMG]

10. barrelntrigger

Nope but are you trolling us, bro? [​IMG]

11. barrelntrigger

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice Spoo! I have a similar goal. Not getting a Ferrari, but rather paying off my student loans and mortgage in the next five years. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Dammit DanM! Beat me to it!

Seriously, Spoo. Nice work. My "Ferrrari" is to pay back my student and mortgage loans (starting with my parents, who made both possible in so many tangible and intangible ways). I doubt I will ever be capable of the kinds of volumes or numbers you achieve. But as impressive as those numbers and volumers are, more impressive is how generous you've remained -- you didn't let the goal consume your perspective, you hooked guys up along the way, and you've been equally generous with advice and knowledge. Good for you; you deserve it. (And you can tell Mrs Spoo I said that. If she can hear you over the roar of the engine). .

3 people like this.
  14. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Man... Spoo, you're wrecking my vibe!

Totally kills my excitement for the gt3 I just bought...

I wish

Is that an f430?

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

I suppose now would be a good time to tell some of my story - my wife and I both ended up without jobs a week before our daughter was born in 2008. The only job I could find (that paid a salary close to what we needed to make ends meet) required us to move to another city, paying both rent and a mortgage payments on the house we left behind for 3 years. After finally selling the old house, I started thrifting with the goal of dressing better for work, and hopefully climbing the corporate ladder. While being successful in that endeavor, I also discovered this forum and in the span of one summer of flipping, managed to save enough for a down payment on a new house (before you guys start thinking Cincy is amazing hunting grounds, we paid 3.5% down on a 75k house). So, thanks guys, for providing both inspiration and the knowledge to help reach some of my own goals.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the nice words. And please keep telling your stories and your goals - its really interesting to hear them!

It is an F430 - red calipers, carbon fiber rear segment, carbon interior, carbon ceramic brake system, ipod integration, red contrast stitched seats, custom carbon fiber wheelcaps and scuderia badges as well. 3M clear bra on full hood. :) Here she is this morning before her maiden voyage.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  17. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

Spoo, that's epic!
    Motivates me to no end.

If I didn't have so much competition in my area (well, just Wes, and he's a pal) I'd try to start flipping seriously.

But Wes is such a good guy, it'd be like stepping on his toes :-/ (and he always hooks me up)

18. barrelntrigger

Jesus!!!!!!!!!! I wish homes down here are going for that range! 1,000 square feet homes are going around 600K in my hood! WTF!!!??? [​IMG]
    What's the millage on that thing?

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

[​IMG]

Bring her out to Jersey and you can hit 65!!! [​IMG]

Congrats!

20. SpooPoker

Just over 10K.

Got up to 140 this morning. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.