• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an insane day yesterday. The thrift gods were smiling down on me after a slow two weeks. It will likely take me all weekend to go through and photo everything...potentially longer.

But first..a question.

Are these bow ties or something else? They are obviously masculine patterns.
Non adjustable, 44.5" long and 2.25" wide. Seem to large for my 17.5" neck. If they are bowties, is there some sort of accessory needed to reduce the length or do you just wrap it a few extra times?

Welcome back, Wes! Dibs on anything 40S!!!

Good morning SF. Got this 2 day's a ago, loosing sleep over posting it.
peepwall[1].gif
Still a little shy.

Holy shite! It's about time somebody robbed DM7!
shog[1].gif

Dibs on 40S! Yes?

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My paper had an article about a local ski shop having it's 50 year anniversary and it was a bit of a time capsule of outdoor/ski wear.

I'm sure none of these are on Nataku's list of outdoor wear to keep an eye out but this might be a trip down memory lane for some of the older skiers who may be on this forum.

Manufacturers mentioned include:
  • David S. Reid
  • SunIce
  • Decente
  • Anba
  • Bogner
  • Ditrani
  • Nevica

I see the odd piece turn up in thrifts but I'm sure most of it was used hard and put away wet so completely beat to hell at the end of it's life, or when fashions began to change.

Though I do remember with fondness the craze for "Stretchies" in the early 80s. Think the precursor of yoga pants.
:nodding:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the combat boots I've been looking for?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

dudes:
Vintage Corbin tweed sc. Free. Real horn buttons. Roughly 40-41R. Button harvest/re-thrift or is someone here interested? Need to know asap.

If no one else wants it, I'd love to have the buttons only! First dibs to anyone that would actually wear it or if you'd prefer to re-donate it!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha! I guess I should have been clearer: if the jacket is worth nothing, I was going to keep the buttons for myself (though I'd be happy to do someone a solid if they have an immediare need for them). I was just trying to determine if I hold onto the whole jacket, or jyst the buttons.
For now I will hold the whole. If no one else claims the buttons, I will let you know.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just got word of an unexpected death in the extended family, so we're heading to NC in a bit. That said, I already took these measurements - but I can't remember who I was supposed to PM them to (they were requested in the thread) so please forgive the "public notice" to whoever was interested in that 42L vintage A&F jacket from a few days back. Measurements spoilerized below.

reminder: this is what I'm talking about:
IMG_8791.JPG

measurements:

pit to pit 24.5 (remember this is a thick and heavy coat with a heavy lining - this really is around a 42-44, no larger - I'm a 48 and it's comically small on me if I try to put it on)
length from top of collar: 40.25"
length from bottom of collar: 37"
shoulder width from seam to seam: 20.5ish - theyr'e slightly rounded so it's hard to say with exact certainty
sleeve length from shoulder seam: ~25.25"

sorry I forgot who you were and I don't have time given the impending surprise trip to dig through the thread! :embar:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Haha! I guess I should have been clearer: if the jacket is worth nothing, I was going to keep the buttons for myself (though I'd be happy to do someone a solid if they have an immediare need for them). I was just trying to determine if I hold onto the whole jacket, or jyst the buttons.
For now I will hold the whole. If no one else claims the buttons, I will let you know.

Haha, sorry, I misunderstood that. I thought you meant that there was a free jacket and that you will leave it unless someone wants it and/or its buttons. I'm not desperate for buttons, so no worries on that!

Anyway, sorry, I have no idea as to what you should do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads