1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Jesus christ. Do you know what I would do for a set of those?! Paulson top and cane too....right? on the left looks like it.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Actually no. All the chips were made by ASM (American Standard Molding) which IMHO make the best poker chips out there. I much prefer them over the Paulson's (although really we are really splitting hairs here). The thing I like most about the ASM chips is that as they wear you can start to see the brass powder fill show through. Very old school.

Spoo, you should have seen the 200 chip set I sold. Had chips in all denoms from $1 to $500, most of which you never see in the movie.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wouldnt have spent 12k on it, but I would have been tempted to. Do you know how sick that would have made my home game?! :)

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hey Eazy, you still have this? Might have something to go with it....

5. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Quote:
    Just want you to know I gave you a thumb for that fit, but you really ought to get the pants tapered a bit. Also, Alden makes Peal & Co? I thought Peal was always made by C&J or Sargent.

Montreal-based company where they send you several things every month, and whatever you send back whatever you don't like. Everything under $50. Unless it fits you well, it probably isn't worth it. Kind of an abhorrent business model if you ask me, but it is smart for people who wouldn't otherwise go shopping (read: most guys).

Depends on the price, but it looks like kind of a cool piece.
    What size IS it?

6. tennesseean_87

tennesseean_87 Active Member

I came across a peak lapeled tux that I assume was custom made since it had a date label...from 1940. It was pretty worn in some areas, but had grosgrain facing and stripes. Would this sort of thing be worth something?

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

8. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

About as ancient as they come I would say. But I was fooled by one earlier.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - Looks like a cool place to spend 3 or so hours crate digging! Also, sorry to hear about your losses. :(

:slayer::slayer:

What eddie said! Nice find!

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yeah, the style of the tie and the label makes me think 70s or earlier, but I haven't come across this label yet online.

11. eazye

eazye Senior member

I sure do! :lurk:

It's a large I believe. I can check when I get home.

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Jebus Cris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plastic money!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Had a productive stop at a favorite little store today. First up: A $20 Hard-bod male (that Brian will travel miles for) THRIFT THREAD SYNERGY!
    [​IMG]

Much smaller than my current dude, who can't wear anything under a 40. Made my day.

Lorenzini, Ted Baker London(what size is a 6? buttons as a mens), Nat Nast Silk, Paradise Found
    [​IMG]

BB Makers (TurtleTurtle), Facconable
    [​IMG]

PRL Braces - a little wear I missed in store
    [​IMG]

From a different stop, older PS for me in Sea Island. Real nice but sorely needs the treatment.
    [​IMG]

And an Oxxford tie for me as well. Woohoo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. tben

tben Senior member

15. SpooPoker

Lets get some pics! :)

You know what to do with those. The Pancaldi, something else you can do with :) but the others, you know.

16. chiron

chiron Senior member

AE leather lotion.. or any clear drying leather conditioner will correct any issues. (except rips)

17. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Cross post from trading thread

I'm looking for a tux for prom on the 10th of June. doesn't need to be anything special brand wise, just classic looking. Peak or shawl laples, I would really like Dual or no vents but at this point i would even do single vent. . Needs to be a 36-38 short(17.5ish shoulders, 20ish Pit, 23.5ish sleeve, >30 LOB)

I have trade goodies or money!!!

Thanks!

18. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Senior member

As usual, a slight bounty

Pringle
    [​IMG]

Zegna
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pm me if anyone is interested in waist 44 zegna khakis or medium dark wash jeans, I passed them up but I can go back if you're hankerin' for them

19. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Never played with ASM, but I sure do love my set of 500 Paulsons... snagged them for $100 at an estate sale.

20. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Two firsts:

J Press Linen (I assume) herringbone, half-lined, fits me so not available.;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It looks hella-vintage, but feels hella-fused. Anyone know how to date a J Press?

And this Chester Barrie / Hawkes & Co (?) sport coat is definitely hella-vintage, and definitely available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Horn buttons, hidden pocket on inside, in very good shape. I don't know my history well enough. I know Gieves bought Hawkes & Co. in the 1970s, but I don't know how Chester Barrie fits into the picture. At any rate, I assume this was an OTR model, or it wouldn't have the size written on the label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.