1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

+1, although I am admittedly not good at this stuff.

My Shades of Greige Finds from Yesterday (all Large/Mediums that fit like slim Mediums)

[​IMG]

Navy Blue Windbreaker w/ Hidden Hood

[​IMG]

Black Windbreaker w/ Removable Hood

[​IMG]

Single Breasted Short Trench

[​IMG]

Peacoat

[​IMG]

Badass Overcoat w/ Buckled Throat Latch (N/A - even though I realize the chances of me wearing this in LA are pretty slim)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this DB Raincoat from Gilded Age

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I think Frank and Oak is one of those online, quasi #menswear type deals where everything is like 50 bucks or less.

3. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Some cool stuff recently. All N/A at the moment.

Ties:
    Pendleton, no label silk knit, NWT PRL, RLPL, RLPL

[​IMG]

NWOT Filson boots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  4. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

So glad I did a quick lunchtime stop as I found 4 Hermes ties (2 with minor stains which I'm fairly sure will come out). Pix to come later. Probably only found 3 Hermes ties b4 in my thrifting career.

Also, this particular thrift is kinda small and not affiliated with anybody like veterans or GW. However, it was crazy busy. I should have known since there were no available carts when I walked in. In addition, there was no special "sale" or anything. Maybe white tags for 50% off so that was nothing special. They rotate the colors and the color on sale is the stuff they put out like weeks ago. Anyway, I'm thinking that the flippers got tipped off that they had just gotten a load in. I only found the ties, though.

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Do as you please, but I would not sell those. Set Karma aside, if your CEO finds out you took his generosity and turned it to profit, I suspect he won't react well. (I suppose there's a small chance he'll promote you for your capitalistic spirit, but my guess is he'll get bent you made a profit on items he intended people to use.

6. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

This was tagged as a men's blazer, but I probably should have picked it up, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Drng

Drng Member

I came across 3-4 light blue ascot chang shirts in a size 17 and 3 Ferre blazers in a size 36, but I left them all in store because they dont fit. Are those actually flippable? Should I go back and get them?

8. suited

suited Senior member

I made sure I asked his secretary if he was okay with it, she's the person who gave them to me to sell for her (splitting the $ with her). From what I hear, he's done it in the past and the shirts just sit there forever and nobody takes them. There might be 4 people in the office that would recognize those brands, myself and him included and the others are very well-off financially.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Today's finds,
    Collapsible light box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BB summer weight gun check, made in Italy, soooo wish this was my size, 44L, available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another BB summer guncheck, triple patch pockets. So sick. Tentatively dibbed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And another first for me, Nom De Guerre hooded toggle cardigan. Made in Japan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

That ndg is hot

11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

12. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Old rive gauche is all over the place bay wise...
    mostly not doing too well

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

I wish it was my size. :brick:

14. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Between thrifting and discount I have been forced into a serious culling of my wardrobe. Going through pants and you'll never guess what rolled outta my pockets...

[​IMG]

A few years ago I ethrifted 400 of these from an archivist who worked for Miramax. They are the actual chips used on the set of the movie Rounders. I think that in the last few years Miramax has released the rest of the chips but at the time they were the only 400 outside of the studio.

The original seller had listed 200 of them in the poker chips section of e bay and was getting little action. I contacted him to make sure he wasn't sitting on thousands of the damn things and when I found out he had only 400 we struck a deal off ebay.

I placed a 200 chip set with a movie type collector in Texas for 12K and sold off the remaining $100 chips in two chip sets for $150 a set.

Or so I thought. Apparently I have one set left!

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

I know we generally focus on clothes, but I nominate that for Overall Best Thrift of the Decade.

16. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

Is anyone familiar with a brand called Burma Wear Inc? I found this Schott-esque motorcycle jacket the other day, but can't find anything about the brand. It doesn't feel like the greatest leather ever, but it does feel pretty durable and heavy. Size Large, Made in Pakistan. Here are some photos, sorry for the iPhone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Not exactly sure what I am looking at here. Anybody familiar with Borrelli's luxury vintage line?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

luxury vintage is a notch below mainline nice find!

19. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Thanks!

20. suited

suited Senior member

Navy BB Golden Fleece - working cuffs. The tag inside says 100% camel hair, but it doesn't look like camel hair. It is soft, though. I thought camel hair typically had a fluffier weave than this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.