1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Bro, I don't think Dunhill has the "dot" on the "i" in their logo.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nope, Valentino and Versace are real, but ancient.

1 person likes this.
  3. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

And for the Dunhill..it is correct as well.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I think the Dunhill might be the fake in the group. The main tag says 100% cotton, but there's a second tag that says 70% polyester. Guess its going back to Savers!

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Sounds sweet...probably too rich for my short funds right now :(

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Hmmm, I did some googling around and it turned out they use to dot their i's.

7. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Hmm...They do use that logo, maybe just not on shirts, seen it on pipes, and lighters...just ancient ones tho...

8. chiron

chiron Senior member

They were always know for pipes, lighters and smokes. I don't know why the clothing is a big deal?

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I am ready for my richly deserved ridicule...

So since I now have to dress like an adult with my new position, I went out and bought or thrifted a bunch of new clothes. I hadn't gotten around to any pocket squares though, so today while driving from Massachusetts to New Jersey I arranged my drive so I could stop at some Savers in Connecticut. Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter, I picked up 8 square things that may be pocket squares...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So did I wind up with a bunch of women's scarves and a napkin??? [​IMG]

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ If theyre 12"-17" wide, you done just fine. those macclesfield ones in the middle are nice.

The bottom one looks like a napkin.

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

[​IMG]

Lucky it was only 2 dollars. I guess I will break down and buy a couple white linen pocket squares... I just can't tell the difference.

Also is there a thread somewhere that would explain macclesfield?

12. SpooPoker

Look for hand rolled edges as your indicator of quality and something you would put in your pocket. They dont roll napkin edges like that (unless youre coming over for dinner).

Macclesfield is a parish in the north of England where French Hugenot weavers settled after Louis XIV revoked the Edit of Nantes and kicked them out of France. Â It has been a center of woven silk manufacture for many years. When refering to ties, "Macclesfield" refers first to a tie made from silk woven in that parish. Â It has also come to mean any similiarly woven silk, no matter where it is made. Â Traditioanally, Macclesfield silk is made in tight woven patterns, with relatively small designs. Â The most common Macclesfields are indeed black and white or black and silver, but that's not a requirement. Â They are perhaps the most common because in England and a lot of Europe these are (or used to be) considered the "correct" wedding tie for wear with a morning suit (turn down collar shirt only) or dark lounge suit. Â This practice of having all groomsmen dress identically is a fairly recent American invention. Â So a well-dressed Englishman or European used to have a few such ties for weddings, christenings, and other "happy" formal occasions. There is another parish called Spitalsfield, which is in East London, where they make (or used to make) a similar kind of woven silk. Â Traditionally, a Spitalsfield design has a larger scale than a Macclesfield.

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Since I am incompetent with iPad multi quote, I will say thanks for the well wishes and leave it at that.

Nice Peals, Wes.

Who hasn't bought a white napkin and rocked the TV Fold in a pinch?

I was just passing through for a couple days. Ur thrifting grounds are safe. Didn't find much to keep but there's much potential in those racks!!!!

I would imagine that the closer you get to Round Rock the better the racks get? Just a theory, observing the tech capitols of the US and the way the thrifting works

As for being a pro...snort! Eye of the beholder.

14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Looking at the white square again, it is way to thin to be a napkin. It does have machine edges though, so maybe a handkerchief?

Anyway, drove the 4 hour trip in 9 hours due to a few stops at Savers and finally reached my hotel and realized I brought my dress shirts, my jackets, and 2 pair of jeans [​IMG]. Forgot all of my dress pants for my first meeting with my customer! Hmmm first impression will be highly polished AE 5th Aves, sharply pressed BB shirt, navy blue blazer with a white napkin [​IMG]in the breast pocket, and a pair of dark blue jeans... [​IMG]. After this, I am keeping an entire set of clothes in a garment bag in my car for emergencies.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

Great new thrifting game: "Square or Napkin?"[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If I can ever get caught up, I'll post some pics of stuff from this weekend. Nothing compared to the stuff posted the last couple days - which just makes me want to get out there that much more...

16. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

AAAHHHHHH I am feeling like Charlie Brown here... I went to stick the white napkin in my Lands End Blue Blazer (My new Isaia blazer I bought on EBay arrived today in the mail too late to take with me) has the F****** pocket sewn shut!

I am ready to chuck it all and wear some shorts and black socks with sandals to this meeting!

[​IMG]

Sorry enough ranting, I am going to bed and dream of finding a beautiful Brioni SC in my size with a Sam Hober White Linen pocket square at the next thrift I hit instead of another crappy Lauren with chewing gum in the pockets.

17. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

not sure if serious? new jackets always come with the pockets stitched up. carefully remove the stitching and insert your napkin. now you are ready for a nice spaghetti dinner.

1 person likes this.
  18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Opening the pockets is eazy enough. :nodding:

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This is me rocking LITERALLY the same model vintage J&Ms, in cigar. COOL! IIRC, Dig was looking for a pair, so get at him. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's basting and it's totally normal. It will feel wrong, but just grab the two parts firmly and pull. Don't try to cut it or you're likely to slice the jacket itself. Just trust that the cotton thread is weaker than the wool. A few finds today: Pendleton Schacket Skeet Jeans T&A ties x2 (slight stains on both, but nothing major; possibly removable) Ascot Chang shirt AT Oreleans suede bucks, Vibram sole. 8.5D, iirc. Needs some TLC, but no cracks. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

One thrift store today - a Valentino suit with the Neiman Marcus tag still in the pocket (not photographed because it fits),

a Zegna tie with the tag still on it from Off Saks:

[​IMG]

And I think I'm a thrift junkie as I bought my first women's shoes.. these Salvatore Ferragamo shoes (is the lingo - pumps?) are brand new with the Neiman Marcus sticker still on the sole:

[​IMG]

I must say.. it feels a little creepy to buy a suit, a tie and some pumps... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.