1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hit my southern loop for the first time in a while last night. Lots of goodies, but the real treat was the last stop of the evening. I local costume shop had donated a ton of old costumes. Most were from the 40's. Of course I bought it all. More to come later.

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

3. katch

katch Senior member

Loving all the shell. Good stuff!

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

:lurk:

Pre-dibs anything 40-42R/L!!

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Senior member

I bought the following items a couple of months ago in T.K. Maxx, but only just got round to posting; brown suede John White Westbury chukka boots, for £79.99 and a crocodile effect calf leather ring belt from Anderson's of Italy, in the clearance section for £12.99. I know John White is not particularly well-regarded on teh StyFo, but they've been pretty good so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

[​IMG] I could say the same for you Spoo.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hey, those pants look nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best part is that they are my size, right down to the inseam length! And in mint condition... This is why we thrift, eh?

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Some of my finds from this week...

The first shop I visit in Vienna is one where they know me. They're all pretty friendly in there and one woman comes up and asks if I'm looking for anything. I said not really, just sort of looking. She then proceeds to grab shirts of different sizes and hands them to me. She was super nice and handed me a couple of pretty nice shirts. Meanwhile, a guy that is apparently a regular (and really rude) walked in between us and asked what was new in the shop. She responded that everything new was on the racks, that he'd just have to look. He said he only cared about the new stuff and she said they put the new stuff out every day and that he'll just have to look.

She continued helping me, but now he was intercepting everything that she tried to hand me. I sort of laughed, but after the second or third time, she told him to stop that, that she's helping me and not him. He mumbled something and left. She explained that he comes in, treats everyone terribly and then tries to talk them down on their already very cheap prices. By this point, she had given me 15-20 shirts and I sorted through them.

Burberry linen shirt. I think this is the most faked brand I come across, but I think this is legit. If not, it's still a linen shirt that I would wear. Unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gant Rugger polos. I try to keep Gant info straight, but it's my kryptonite...I have very little idea. These weren't the normal Gant label and they were made in Japan. Either way, I'm an idiot as I almost certainly overpaid. They didn't seem super-nice, but what the hell. Probably unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pocket squares. The equestrian one is interesting, it has horses and hunting dogs woven into it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Demo Ray-Bans. No country of origin, though they seem to be real. Unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Z Zegna linen/cotton jacket. Pretty cool. Unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daks Signature

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...from the same donor. A custom made piece that fits me really well. I wish he'd have donated more, but these hadn't even made it out to the floor yet, the woman actually thought they'd be my size and brought them to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome ivory dinner jacket. Fits, so I'm keeping...though I have NO idea when I'll wear it. How often do you come across one of these in your size though?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Miu Miu...a first for me. Unavailable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties. Is that first one just a regular weave or is something more?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More ties.

[​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So, I'm guessing there will be no objections to a little more.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I was thinking the same thing the other day when Eazye posted the shells he found. Then I found 3 pairs in about 24 hours.

12. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

The RLPL jacket, Alden cap toes, and white flannels from yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And just to brag, some shell and another pair Aldens
    florsheim imperial long wings
    [​IMG]

Nettleton PTB
    [​IMG]

Alden medallion cap toes
    [​IMG]

13. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

None are available unless noted. Sorry! C&J [​IMG]
    AE Pembrookes [​IMG]
    Anyone know the best way to get creases out of leather? If there is a way.. [​IMG]
    Cheaney [​IMG]
    I think I have posted these before, but I took the time to clean then up and I was pleased with the results. Are these independent Cheaney or Church's Cheaney? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry I forgot to add a pic of just the heel..
    Ferragamo x 3 [​IMG]
    Not in the best condition, so these will probably be heading to Tiecrafters [​IMG]
    Brioni, Borrelli 7 fold [​IMG]
    Bought these at heavy discount. Black fleece for $17 total? Why not [​IMG] NIB Trafalgar [​IMG]
    BB 6/2 DB 44R. Anyone have a 38R to trade? [​IMG] Custom Samuelsohn available [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't always pick up BB shirts, but I do when they are 100% linen [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So I can buy these new without a dent to my wallet [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So, went back to the scene of the 80+ unit crime and took home another 35-40 items. I know, useless without pictures. But Im so busy, cant get them all in one shot. I promise Ill post when I get to posting them in waves.

Also found out I bought half of this guys wardrobe. Been doing custom Brooks from the 50s :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._Phelan,_Jr.

Last, found 2 great coats from the 49-62 period. Random makers, with mint ACTWU tags. Built like tanks. One black wool, the other a grey herringbone tweed. Raglan sleeves, turnback cuffs, etc. I couldnt leave them at $4 each, but you think they would perform in the fall?

15. chiron

chiron Senior member

So many shoes , so little closet space. :(

2 people like this.
  16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Nothing too awesome today, but did thrift a TiVo HD with lifetime service. Took a risk as it didn't have a power cord and was sold as-is. Found a power cord at another thrift and powered it up. Had a fried hard drive that I quickly restored. Total cost, a little time to restore the operating system and $5. Happy to add it!

1 person likes this.
  17. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Love those stories. I've said it before, but if any of you find an iRobot in a shop, buy it for me! I'm about to get one retail, but if I can get one a bit cheaper, all the better.

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

+1 - On a related topic, GREAT TRADE WITH LeSacre

A few more things from last week I never posted. Working on this weeks haul right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might have posted the shoes already [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Weird stuff on an out-of-town thrifting trip. It was as if a very large and a very small person with expensive tastes recently died in town. A bunch of well made, very large jackets (along with some "big names" e.g. Boss in the same sizes). The nicest looking stuff had the tags torn off, so no idea what they were. But I had to buy this one, in case it fits a friend of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hand stitching all over this thing, working cuffs, fully canvassed - label removed.

Then this thing was like basketball player sized, and only somewhat basketball player styled. E.g., kept it to only two buttons, but pretty gaudy on the lining. Again, no tags.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then there was a row of about 10 of these Astor & Black jackets in small - same fabric on all of them, but different styles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I left these on the rack! I'm pretty sure the cashier thought I was a freak, because I kept going on about how weird that row of clothes was.

1 person likes this.
  20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

in before brian flips a desk

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.