1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Alright fellas....I have been quiet long enough....well almost long enough. We are not travelling anywhere this weekend, for the first time in about two months. Prepare to see some catch up photos.....I may need a few more hours just to scratch the surface.

2. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Went back to the shop where I picked up the kiton and found a few more things (nothing nearly as exciting)
    Zegna shirt with a weird double collar button
    [​IMG]

Suspect looking Charvet (can anyone tell if it is authentic?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool Rhodes & Beckett shirt. I haven't heard of them but the shirt looked nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

But first....

Crazy Skeet Blanketish Zegna Linen Shirt with MOP buttons....from Romania? The RN numbers match up...but I don't know.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

EZ makes shirts in a number of different countries. I've found a couple from Romania before. Lately, I've found a number from Turkey (with the new label). Legit, I think.

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Wes: I too have some made-in-Romania older Zegna. I don't doubt the authenticity. I think you're good.

6. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

despite being marked a 44 (i'm a 38), this thing more or less fits, so keeping for the time being.

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

RRL Denim jacket (Large (womens?))
    Santoni CapToe Oxfords -9.5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

silverwarebandit - your Versace is a $50 bill.

klay49 - your Charvet is real and hella old.

Hans your Dior jeans look legit

Wes, Zegna is legit

Ill be working all weekend, no treats for me in the field, go get em guys. Be safe out there.

9. klay49

klay49 Senior member

Thanks!

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sweet thanks guys. I am officially the proud owner of the ugliest zegna piece ever made.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Found the tie on the far right today. Now I have a nice selection of wedding ties.

[​IMG]

12. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Jil runs crazy slim. I'm in the same boat, tried on a 44 in a consignment shop out of curiosity and it fit. Unfortunately they were asking more than eBay prices for what seemed to be an orphan, so it was a pass. Nonetheless, insane find. Enjoy it!

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Took my monthly pilgrimage to a fave spot that's a 4-hour drive...usually worth it, but not always. Here's most, but not all, of what I grabbed today (all unavailable). This stuff is not from a thrift store - it's a resale shop that usually has a lot of regular stuff and occasionally some nice stuff...and they price it accordingly but every so often they under-price things, and when they do, I grab it.

Two Saddlers Union card cases, made in Italy (natch) with original Barneys New York price tags showing $210 retail. Stuffed into a way-too-big Saddlers Union bag for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers reversible (?) bucket hat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT Burberry Brit silk tie, made in England.
    [​IMG]

Duchamp silk tie.
    [​IMG]

Trio of NWT Tyrwhitt silk ties.
    [​IMG]

NWOT Dolce & Gabbana tie.
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith tie.
    [​IMG]

Armani tie.
    [​IMG]

Canali tie.
    [​IMG]

Odd one - "Princeton Class of 1941" tie.
    [​IMG]

NWT Etro tie.
    [​IMG]

NWT Robert Graham long sleeve shirt.
    [​IMG]

NWT Brooks Brothers short sleeve Irish linen shirt.
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers 1818 Madison blazer, of Ing. Loro Piana fabric.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alfred Dunhill blazer, made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Southwick blazer for Norton Ditto.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack Victor blazer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The deal of the year (for me). Movado Vizio watch, in case, with box and manual (no tags, no warranty card). Model 0606082. Retails for $1,995 and I will break with tradition here and let you kind fellows know that I paid $xx (redacted - listing it on eBay shortly) plus tax for it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up a very nice Burberry cashmere blend blazer, NWT Arc'teryx shirt, Uniqlo down-filled jacket for myself, down-filled vest for my sister (who wanted one for Xmas but hell if I was going to pay retail for something like that), and a few other things I am forgetting.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I bought my house in Acworth about a year ago with 3% down, and a credit score of 770. You can get legit zero-down mortgages but you still pay for that one way or another - obviously at least a bit higher monthly payment. I don't know how you're getting around not paying PMI - it's pretty much standard you'd have to pay private mortgage insurance since you're putting less than 20% down - so that seems iffy to me. The whole mortgage crisis was from folks lending money to people who they never should have - - - they are now lending money again, at low rates - to people with good credit scores, steady employment, and who can afford it, so it's not surprising one can still get a good rate and zero down...it's only the no PMI that seems off to me but maybe things have changed in the last year. My advice: get pre-approved from minimum 2 lenders, maybe 3, and shop for good rates from reputable lenders...not JimBob's Mortgage and Live Bait in Newnan. My brother-in-law is an agent at Coldwell Banker in Douglasville, though he works in other offices as well (Marietta and 1 or 2 others I think - they work where they're needed and what's closest to the property). Million-dollar seller and all that - so - if you need an agent, I don't get a kick-back or anything, and he does right by his clients.

Good luck!

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ok....so I lied....again.

I didn't get any pics taken tonight. I did, however, clean up my inventory to be ready for processing items tomorrow. Keep the popcorn hot.

16. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Guys, I'm Brooks Brothers Black Fleece challenged.

Never seen one in hand before and found this. Looks to be the Black Fleece Logo, but it doesn't say "Black Fleece" on it. Is it?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

17. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ unfortunately not Black Fleece

18. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

so like many lost young souls I started my sartorial journey by searching "menswear blog" and lo and behold I became just another pawn in the conspiracy between dan trepanier and the government to make all of our young men dress like foppish tools. luckily through perseverance and dumb luck I escaped the cult of tsb...
    recently I decided to check it out again, it has gotten better many of the looks are ones that would even get you flammed on the wiwt threads for more than a few pages (some are actually quite good *gasp*) one area they have not improved at all in is readers... for instance take a look at the april giveaway
    http://tsbmen.com/27411/april-giveaway-top-10-vote/
    like wtf is this *unh my name is demitri I am about to go do coke off my girlfriends back in the supply closet of forever 21, she made me wear these glasses because she said they make me look like that ryan golstling dude, also check out these shoes I am wearing because I just got off my boat I parked outside, ps my shirt was made out of my grandmas tablecloth*
    [​IMG]
    spoo, eazy, gmmcl, org, and most frequently posting members with access to okay cameras would win that in a heartbeat... (also I was possibly too harsh in the comments section considering I met one of them in real life and am younger than all of them...)

19. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

sometimes a sheep hanging from a ribbon is just a sheep hanging from a ribbon

20. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

But then they'd have to be associated with TSB, which is not ideal

Also, I first found styleforum because I used to post on the 4chan fashion board. I guess everybody has their own path :eek:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.