The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Found some Rag and Bone yesterday. Ridiculous retail but a pretty awesome piece. Tagged 'M' ... I'll keep a look out for this hitting the clearance rack!
    [​IMG]

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

For all of the talk about tagging and ruining merchandise, I care far less that it happens at thrift stores. I mean yes, they're taking a piece of clothing and sometimes making it worthless with the manner in which they tag it.

However, they're (usually) charities, so I have a tendency of forgiving it. However, I had problems with the way TJ Maxx tagged their items. They're whole business is to sell clothing and run a profitable business. I saw so many cases of terrible tagging, usually they'll tag something near the seam rather than through it and it will result in a hole, if not immediately, then soon. My wife found a couple of expensive purses and then we had the sensor removed only to find a good sized hole in a conspicuous place.

I removed most of the hangers myself but if I didn't, you know that hanger was pulled through the neck of the shirt. /rant

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I don't think I can notice that stuff any more.

But she was attractive enough.

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

You know you have a thrifting problem when...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

5. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Senior member

I thought you to be more sw&d because of your avi, and in your sig you're looking for high quality denim, "baller trainers/sneakers...." haha.

ps. What kind of "Baller trainers/sneakers are you looking for? PM me the answer, I might have what you're looking for...

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Also, I meant to add this earlier for Spoo or anyone else that likes Muse. Not really the same genre, but Peter Fox is the lead singer of the German band Seeed and he did a solo album a few years ago. I love the album, so here are a couple of songs.

Warning: Potentially odd (not sure) German language/video
    Kopf Verloren [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Alles Neu [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

[​IMG]

8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I guess I'm not seeing quite the same escalation in prices outside of Unique which is a for-profit concept (they buy the Lupus trucks stuff and resell). I did see a full beaver cowboy hat at GW the other day for $25 so they are creeping up. Still worth it if you're buying for yourself. I don't flip much unless it's a huge find I want to go to SF, if I am buying for myself I don't feel too bad about $20 or 30 for a sweet SC that fits and was priced above 1K retail...

Beggars can't be choosers in my case!

9. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Most BBGF ties should be 4" in width--if you check their website, only a single GF tie is actually below 4" in width, even though their regular ties are 3.25".

10. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

well .. when I have a question for the interwebs I turn to my thrift thread community ... no matter the subject matter.

Today's question: Has anyone ever ski'd at Stowe, Vermont? If so, any lodging suggestions?

Thanks Guys [​IMG]

11. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

Saw this the other day. Dragonball Z!

[​IMG]

Will probably have to double post this in the creepy sartorial images thread.

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Can't help noticing that these chick stories involve Burberry (see my BB car coat story a few pages back). Maybe the Burberry check pattern has some weird kavorka-type properties on women :fonz: .

Something that seems to work for me is looking through the women's section for men's stuff. If I see someone reasonably good looking I'll say something like, "I'm not a weirdo..but these thrift employees always put men's stuff here!" (which they do). I go a few feet and sure enough there'll be a mens banana republic shirt or pants. "See!"

Here endeth the lesson.

13. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

I do get annoyed when a price tag ruins a perfectly nice article of clothing at a thrift store (I once bought a tie that looked basically new, except for a huge hole and some runs caused by the price tag). Some stores are clearly worse about it than others, and I'm more likely just to skip the worst offenders.

With TJ Maxx/Marshalls, the problem for me is their security tags. The price tag is usually attached where it should be, but the security tag can be attached in the most conspicuous places, and it leaves a huge hole and can tear the fabric if the fabric is more sensitive. That's especially annoying because anything worth picking up (aside from basics) at one of those places will have a security tag.

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

I prefer to use airbnb.com for vacation rentals. with that said, great choice in Stowe, an awesome winter destination.

If you like craft beer, at all, make sure to stop in Waterbury, there is a disproportionate amount of WORLD CLASS beer in that town.

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

+256

Airbnb ... the thrifting of vacation houses!

My wife and I recently journeyed to Vancouver BC for a wedding and spent the first two nights in an apartment we found on airbnb. The place was great, the price killed what we would have had to pay at a hotel (and we wouldn't have had a full kitchen or, for that matter, all that space). So I'd definitely recommend checking out the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.