1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Haha ya.. I knew it was a ridiculous notion, and if I weren't on my phone I would've added: [​IMG]. However, it didn't do any good because someone still beat me to it. No doubt someone here [​IMG]

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

Henceforth, I declare pre-dibs on all shell cordovan in 11E. :)

3. timmygoestothez

timmygoestothez Well-Known Member

A humanitarian shipment from Ian Erickson arrived this morning. Finally, the crisis is over. A new era of plenty has just begun.

Seriously, though, there were about a million shirts in there. A million nice shirts. And a ton of extras! Mad props to Ian. Thanks for making this first trade so successful.
    [​IMG]

On another note, I did a quick thrift trip this morning and picked up a beautiful Harris Tweed. This has got to be the nicest fabric that I've ever seen on a thrift store HT--a gorgeous mossy green/brown herringbone. My phone's camera doesn't do color very well, but here's a pic anyway:

[​IMG]

I really, really wish this fit me; I want a SC in this color badly. Alas, it's a no-go.

Tagged a 38R, here are the measurements:

Shoulder to cuff: 24
    shoulder to shoulder: 19
    length from BOC: 29.5
    p2p: little over 21

Available for trade.

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

OK, someone said "Derby." Time for a derail.

Not at all keen on Verrazano. I like Orb and think he'll provide decent value (I'm thinking 5-1 or thereabouts at post), but there's just something about Overanalyze--might this be the year to plunk down $50 or so on a longshot?

5. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I looked at it as well but it was sold. Didn't think it would fit me! I am looking for one in a 38R if anyone has something similar. Also looking for a red chambray shirt. I have some cool stuff to trade...[​IMG]

I have been trying to thrift a pair of shells in my size for a while. Every pair I have found has always been in a 9.5 or a 14. [​IMG]

6. aglose

aglose Senior member

I would like to second the first trade success with Mr. Erickson. My tie collection has doubled thanks to him and my staple ties now exist! :)

7. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

glad you like them feel free to send over the levis at any time :)

8. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

That's a big piece of
    [​IMG]
    to make that shoe.

9. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

tfp
    [​IMG]
    vintage oliver peoples op-68 ag (thrifted)
    boo shirt (thrifted)
    cloak blazer (thrifted)
    pbj jeans (not-thrifted)
    blanc & noir highs (not-thrifted)

8 people like this.
  10. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Highlights of yesterday and today:

Pulled these right off the rolling rack before they were even put out. Same donor had also donated a HF shirt, but not my size and I haven't seen them get any love here so I left it. On the other hand, the Tyrwhit and the PRL I grabbed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the better version of PRL, right, with the script font?
    [​IMG]

Anyway, like I say, not my size so get at me if you like.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally found some jazz that wasn't trashed. Unfortunately, one of the covers has some damage, but the discs themselves are fine.
    [​IMG]

11. Ejay415

Ejay415 Member

some items from a GW stop yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    McKennas england wool
    [​IMG]
    mezlan woven iguana belt
    [​IMG]
    zegna, yamato japan(any good?), Boss(Italy-any good?)

12. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Theknottery.com dropped their spring product they have some cool stuff I like the pocketsquares but the ties are just too damn skinny

13. aglose

aglose Senior member

^i hate skinny ties. I don't know why that's such a trend.

14. Nell

Nell Senior member

That trend isn't confined to ties...Found a great deal on a BBBF suit in my hard to find size but the tiny lapels were a deal breaker

Nicest pair of trousers I've handled. Tagged 50, Available
    [​IMG]

And these
    [​IMG]

Came with this in the pocket
    [​IMG]

...at a consignment store. N/A

15. brianG

brianG Senior member

Thom Browne at Black Fleece is all about tiny dimensions. Check out his mainline suits. Was the BBBF suit a "thrift store great deal" or "on sale great deal"? If it was thrift, you could have easily flipped it for a bunch.

16. Nell

Nell Senior member

Having just flipped a BBBF piece I posted last week, I'm well aware of the flip potential :foo: - but thanks for looking out

17. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

another thrifting afternoon, nothing too crazy: a worn pair of alden cordovan 990 ptb, luciano barbera shirt, zanella non unicorn pants nwt, 4 vuitton dress shirts, rl black label dress shirt, marni sweater post pics later

18. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

that NF is sweet.

19. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Mad men and the recession which makes people reminisce about the good old days when everything was fair aka 50s aka skinny ties then fashion like always takes everything too far and now dudes that read gq look like they are in a Halloween costume wearing strings around their neck and their little brothers suits

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  20. NormP

NormP Member

Given the quality of everything else there I was pleasantly surprised. I noticed when I got home that its marked as an XL so I measured it and its 62 inches. Oh well, it's a nice tie in my opinion and if I decide I don't want it or can't get it to tie to my satisfaction I'll probably try to sell it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.