The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

There's a shop around here that I heard an employee telling a caller "Clothes have to be in good condition, clean and without stains or holes." This explained why everything there is pretty much awesome, condition wise. It's also a bit more, $10-20 for shirts and considerably more pricey for suits and sport coats. But if you're shopping for yourself, it's still pretty damn reasonable. I think everyone here would welcome higher prices if it meant everything was in great condition, right? Of course finding something awesome at $5 will never get old.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Never mind. Looked like Irish Setters at first glance...

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Umm, no, not a good pass if at or near standard thrift prices. Go back and grab them if they were cheap!!

4. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

No, it is a Smith and Wesson Sigma .40. (I didn't carry it trick or treating) Don't let this start another thread sidetrack about firearms though.

They are French cuff's, but you can't see my links.

And, I like character growth, but some things you should not mess with and martini's shaken, not stirred is one of them.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i've got some really old white label armani, pre-collezioni and it's good quality (if, a little funky looking 20 years later). the predecessor to black label was 21 borgonuovo. i don't even look at most of it any more since i've come to the realization than i am not a skinny little italian boy.

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

replace "thrift store" with "thrift thread flippers" and pretty much everything you said is still true.

7. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

I always set myself for these puns, don't I?

But yes, at my local SA they do not sort anything by size, so it's really daunting to go through four racks of pants that are hung by the waist. At stores where pants (and other items of clothing) are sorted by size, I still check in my pants size.

8. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I guess the market will bear what the market will bear. They may over-price some items but enough probably sell to warrant their actions.

And these thrift stores have their own overhead. I was talking to a SA manager who said the cost of electricity and heating was killing them. They'd closed a bunch of retail and donation location over the past year.

We may measure and photograph and ship but they pay that overhead, and hire staff, advertise, and maintain/improve the building (well, at least some of them do :happy:)

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I was walking around Savers today with a pretty recent Zegna tie I'd found when I dropped it somewhere. Spent 15 minutes retracing my steps and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Also, I found a pair of the Florsheim Imperial longwings, the awesome kind with that metal v-shaped piece in the heel that people used to post in this thread all the time, but they looked to be in not so good shape. It looked like the leather on the top of the sole was fraying. Are they still worth a pickup?

10. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

I dunno, you've seen the TV commercials for the new Bond flick? Daniel Craig's really not got much hair now. I don't know if he's actually balding or it's only for the movie.

11. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

jeezus!

12. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

oops.

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

In the pricing discussion (hey stop people if you've heard that before) I just want to interject: It pays to ingratiate yourself to the people who work there. Talk to them, smile, say hello every time you go in, learn their names, say "Hi, [insert name here]" and don't be a scowling jerk like some of the customers I'm sure you've seen. Take them donuts! Whatever.

This paid off for me recently. just a small thing, but I knew it was a reward for "paying it forward."

Rhoda, who works at my local SA, actually encourages me to come in and buy stuff to flip. She is so friendly to me now that she suggests things for me and hopes I find things ahead of others. They're living month to month on the store rental, and she appreciates my loyalty and understands that regulars like me are helping them out.

They're also pricing some things higher now in hopes of making the rent.

I walk in last week, find a Polo SC in great shape, it's priced $9.99, which is 2x-3x the usual. She looks around when ringing me up. It's half-price day for every tag color except the one on this particular jacket...and says "Honey, this too expensive." Rings it in at half.

Rhoda rules. Small victory, but that rule "Don't be an ass" will eventually pay off for you, somehow.

14. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Shout out to Shiny for an all around nice trade! Big thanks.[​IMG]

15. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

What's the consensus on Jhane Barnes? Flip well? I passed on two nice 42Lto pinstripe jackets but I don't think orphan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.