1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

For my 40th birthday this past week, I took my wife and 4 boys out to California. As part of my present, my wife was going to give me 1-2 hours a day to thrift. My primary goal was to see if you guys in the huge cities really did consistently have better stuff, or if it just the sheer amount of stores. My stretch goal was to find Kiton or Fray (I didn't meet that goal). So... I spent an afternoon in Palm Springs, a couple of days at Knotts Berry Farm (Anaheim), a couple of days near Santa Monica, and a day in San Diego and got to hit about 5 stores in each city.

This is a faithful account of my small raid on LA -- and this is what I found:

Palm Springs: Didn't really see that much worth buying. Passed on a Corneliani Sport Coat (44S) and a Sulka tie (was once white with stripes, now kind of yellow). Did pick up a fairly patriotic Robert Talbott Best of Class"Nordstrom 25" tie. not sure why the 25 is labelled.

[​IMG]

Went to Anaheim and hit a few stores. Really, nothing much to speak of at any of the true "thrift" stores. Saw a Gucci blazer that was thrashed, a Versace blazer that was thrashed. Went to another semi-boutique, but with really reasonable prices and bought a few shirts ($5 each), and ties (50 cents each - it was half off tie day). I saw a couple of "custom" shirts that I was unfamiliar with, but on the whole, thought the whole scene was "ho-hum" here.

Interestingly enough, I "learned" that the phonetic pronounciation for Zegna is "Zay-nyah" Stupid me has been saying Zegna with a "g" in it. Makes me wonder if I am pronouncing Kiton, Brioni and other things correctly... Is there a thread with phonetics spelled out?

Shirts: Hickey Freeman x2, Robert Talbott, Robert Talbott Estate Bespoke x2, J.L Powell, Charles Tyrwhitt
    Ties: Charvet, Dunhill (bicyclists on it), Ike Behar, Zegna, and Trafalgar braces

Photos of them all:

[​IMG]

The only tie I am definitely keeping is the Charvet. I love that color.

[​IMG]

Hickey Freeman shirts - only seen one in Tucson before. They were in my size.. why not?

[​IMG]

I've seen a number of Robert Talbott shirts here, but never the Estate Bespoke. Need to look that up. Again in my size.

[​IMG]

The Tyrwhitt is French Cuff, which is okay for me, and I've never seen J.L. Powell before (or heard of it). I was fond of the color, material and workmanship. Looked it up and maybe I got a good price for something in my size.
    [​IMG]

Went to LA. Driving through Hollywood, I stopped at a men's only shop that had a recent batch of coats from the actor, George Hamilton. Some were labelled "tailored for..." others weren't. They were expecting another batch soon. Apparently he was a 44 at one point. Belvest, Huntsman, etc... all really nice coats, but they were just a bit snug for me and I didn't want to drop $230 on a sportcoat unless it was just perfect.. The suits were a bit more pricey. I asked if they had any Kiton, but she said that they barely stay in the store when pop in. Wish I had time to go back and spend a while there.

Went to a few more stores and continued to see some really nice brands in northern LA. Passed on a Burberry brown Cashmere overcoat (had to have been a 36 or so), Salvatore Ferragamo shirts (monogrammed cuffs) and such. This is what I found.. Sorry, these are unspoilered.

These shirts are all from the same store. There was a regular in the store chatting up an employee who gave me props on the nice shirts I was leaving with. Wondered if it was one of you.

The first two I found weren't spectacular, but I really loved the texture on the Nordstrom and I love the Eton French Cuffed shirt. I have one just like it in my closet and was glad to get another.

[​IMG]

Then on the flip side of the rack, I found my first Borrelli shirt. Maybe LA does have better stuff... French cuffed, but it was a 16 1/2 and I have no problem with cufflinks.

[​IMG]

Wow.. that would be great to find in a single cuff too... The very next shirt (unfortunately in a 16):

[​IMG]

Shame it is just a bit too snug... What is sitting right next to him?

[​IMG]

Ugh.. Also a size 16, but I'm not leaving him behind... Who is immediately next to him? Holy Cow.. Isaia.. never seen that in Tucson either. Doh.. the sizes keep decreasing.. This one is a 15 1/2".

[​IMG]

Then the very next shirt - Rag & Bone. It is my size (not sure if it is my style) but wouldn't have snagged it if I hadn't heard ya'll talking about it. Thanks for the tip!

[​IMG]

The very next shirt? I don't remember it was crap... Claiborne or the like. Didn't really find anything else in the next 100 shirts or so (other than Zegna's with the same monogram as the Ferragamo).

There were even more MTM custom shirts in the racks than usual (La Jolla Custom, etc...) and a number of items I've never heard of. Could have left something nice behind, but who knows? My thoughts are that there seriously was a chance at nicer stuff here, but it came down to a lucky batch of shirts. Same as in my town, but I'm guessing the odds of a lucky batch are higher out there.

Finally I went down to San Diego and stayed at Old Town. Hit a few stores and found absolutely, utter crap. Totally wasted 89 minutes. In my final minute, I noticed at a store (half off day) that someone put a sportcoat in the longsleeve shirts. Checked it out... of course.. a 100% silk Brioni. Also, of course.. just a bit small (a 42R).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well.. I didn't find Fray or Kiton, but I'd say that the 6 hours I spent thrifting while on family vacation was quite exciting and worthwhile. Guess who is going to have all his birthdays in LA now?

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

A few from the weekend....still listing so more to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Searched HIGH and LOW and then HIGH again for the pants. [​IMG]
    RECENT Dunhill by Zegna (top quality level!!) 1 Button, Peak Lapel, Dual Vents - SO DAMN NICE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two J Press shirts feel so mint when I close my eyes I think I'm in the store.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Are you sure about that? [VIDEO][/VIDEO] :lol: :crackup::rotflmao:

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Yep, Jeans Shop (for Turnbull & Asser) Rocker Cut. 38 long... I haven't actually measured them yet.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Nice finds Snowman. But, why the hell did you stay in Old Town? SD has tons of nice places, but Old Town is not one of those places.

6. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Shows what I know... I have four boys under the age of 10 and thought it would be educational. They liked it. Glad to know that I need to spend a little more time in San Diego. :)

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Catching up on this thread on a Sunday night. Excellent finds all around :slayer: . Too many to spoiler! Great job.

9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Yeah, turned my hobby into a career 15 years ago. Don't actually work wood anymore, just design and sell, sell, sell. The consensus seems to be keep it. I'm for sure wearing it for a while now.

10. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Holy fuck. Thrift stores, y'all. NUTS.

KOBE.

11. Ejay415

Ejay415 Member

some weekend finds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Picked this one up from the "99 Cent Only" store
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mezlan ostrich
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Zanella flat front
    [​IMG]
    Cordings tattersall, Borrelli, Zegna. My first Borrelli and I've never seen so much hand stitching on a shirt, even compared with a Kiton.
    [​IMG]
    no name Italy & England squares, Ted Baker, Faconnable, Borrelli cashmere/silk
    [​IMG]
    NWT Marmot
    [​IMG]
    NWT Lululemon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

[​IMG]

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Sn0man: Nice work. Love them Borrellis.

BTW, prepare to have mind BLOWN: It's "La- Sa - nYa" and "Nyo- kki". Not "La- za- Gnuh" or "Gggggg- nocki".

Protip. :fonz:

That's funny.

Nice stuff in here. Love the ties and squares.

Nice work lately, dudes. Totes jelly.

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Since it seems to be raining Borrelli, I think I'll head out and hope for some of that thrift synergy. :hide:

15. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  16. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

^^ I'm with you, easye. Time to find my first Borrelli.

Any thread regulars that haven't responded to HansderHund's PM request, do so before the end of the day!

Had a pretty good week/weekend of thrifting. More quantity than quality, but I'm happy about it. Pics later today.

17. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Info sent this morning re: secret PMs :happy:

If your real initials are MZ, please let me know your SF username, I didn't get it in PayPal. Second round will be sent out tonight (my time), so anyone that recently PMed me, it will be forwarded on later. I stayed up answering PMs last night as late as I could, but I woke up to a number of people that had written while I was asleep.

Thanks again everyone!

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Really enjoyed Harney Sushi too. Was a little concerned there were no Asians working there when we walked in, but was pleasantly surprised by the food.

19. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

This goes in the "items found in thrift purchases" file.... 1979 high school ski trip permission slip found in a Cheech & Chong LP:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. FillW

FillW Senior member

Found one of those Jos A Bank merino wool mock turtleneck sweaters (a nice shade of green) at a Goodwill on Saturday for $10.00. [​IMG]

It fit great so I took it home and carefully washed it. It takes a long time to dry out but I may try to wear it at work tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.