1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

I highly recommend keeping it. If it fits like you say then you wont come across something like that again in a long time. I havent found a sport coat or suit that I did not need to tailor. There is plenty of ebay fodder to be had out there.

3 people like this.
  2. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

First, I need to get this on the record. There has NEVER been a pair of selvedge jeans sold in the City of Pittsburgh. I have never seen any in 7 years of doing this, so I have to assume that there is no retail of selvedge and all folks moving here have their selvedge confiscated on arrival.

It has been incredibly slow around here for the last few months. Yesterday was the first sign of hope.

Two immaculate Davide Cenci 100% camel hair sweaters. These are the first Cenci store brand items I've found and the quality is amazing. Wonderfully soft and heavy. Made in Scotland. I really wish they fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These next three shirts are firsts for each of the brands as well.

Barba button down. Hand attached sleeves, huge MOP buttons. Every bit the quality of Borrelli.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dunhill button down. Great fabric.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black fleece button down. I'm assuming its never been worn as it still has the envelope with spare buttons attached to the bottom button hole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gucci shirt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage Eddie Bauer Goose Down leather jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gerry reversible down jacket.

[​IMG]

Cifonelli trousers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really nice Patagonia flannel shirt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Versace collarless shirt with gold tone V2 buttons (worth anything [COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]Spoo[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and a Robert Graham.

[​IMG]

3. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

DM7 bringing back insane finds. I think I might need to go to LA to visit my sister again :) Great haul tony. I love Barba ... but I've only ever found one and it was my dad's size, so I guess he loves Barba.

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Just a couple of finds.

Anyone heard of John Alan McAfee. Are these church's (heels replaced)? Hard to tell the size, so if any of you guys have eyes better than me. Available, assuming we figure out the size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up this Tumi Alpha Expandable Bag. Missing the shoulder strap but is pretty big and great for traveling. I know there has been discussion over covering up the monogram in the past. Anyone have a tasteful method they have used? I was thinking of just ordering a basic engraving plate and taping/gluing it over with my initials on it.

[​IMG]

Also awhile ago thrifted an entire stack of law books. The library at the school put out a cart of books with a nice "FREE" sign. Some older versions, worth little, but some were brand new editions that professors must have gotten as "review" copies and discarded. Yep, I sat there with my amazon app scanning book by book to see which were worth taking. Walked to the parking lot with books stacked over my head. I know picture is terrible, but this is easiest money I have ever made. I have already sold about 6, which are not in this picture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Has anyone ever seen this pattern or know what the heck it is supposed to represent? Its kind of cool, but I don't get it.

[​IMG]

6. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Yep, our library was doing the same (I saw them yesterday) and considering grabbing. Apparently they do a much better job looking for ANY edition worth ANYTHING tho.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:eek: I have no words..... Interested in the Maiden Noir jeans if they are my size.
    Amazing find! This is their current label.......and also my size. :D
    Great haul! You know what they say, persistence pays off. Keep looking for the selvedge and you will find it!

8. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Or, Nat will find a pair in your size and pass it along for a great price. [​IMG] (I have also not found any selvedge at thrifts)

9. tben

tben Senior member

Woke up to find my favorite, and only, BBGF Double Breasted suit moth riddled. Checked my almost cedar filled closet to find no other markings at all on any of my other garments...so far (knock on wood). How is everyone else day going so far?? [​IMG][​IMG]

10. mkusab

mkusab New Member

[​IMG]

I realize that thrift shops and vintage stores are usually overflowing with Florsheim longwings, but I rarely find anything in my size (11EEE). I have been hemming and hawing over whether or not to strip the leather and re-finish. I'm going to have them re-soled anyway, but something about the rough, color and the years of history in them that I find appealing. I happen to think the rough look goes well with jeans also.

Can I retain some of that "age" if I have them cleaned up a bit? Thoughts?

- Mr. Kusab

11. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Need pics of this Cloak item. Also, dibs for this... I give you money, yes? Yes.

Also, awesome haul.

If you like them, they fit and they fill a hole, buy them, especially at or close to thrift prices. Ten dollars is not a huge investment.

Those are Alan McAfee, not John. I believe Cheaney is the maker, but could be wrong.

Also a little iffy on what that black stuff on the inside is...

12. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

What is the point in posting your thrift if you don't mention what you bought it for?...

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I like how you think! Now, I just have to find a way to break the news to MoL on the other thread. :uhoh:

Inorite? I was so stoked! :slayer:

14. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

[​IMG]

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thrift thread regulars:

I started a PM chain on Friday and within an hour or two, I'll be taking care of it. If anyone else would like to get in on it, please PM me immediately. For those that aren't in the loop, feel free to PM me for details. Sorry for being so cryptic :embar:

Thanks!

16. suited

suited Senior member

Thrifted this a while ago just because it was pretty badass, but it ended up sitting in my closet for months (and needed altered) so I decided to list it today. I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've picked up one of the crappier RL lines just because it was a nice looking piece and it always paid off. Fetched $80 about an hour after listing it :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230967399255?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

[​IMG]

17. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

What is the point of posting a comment about the pointlessness of not posting what a particular item was purchased for? What is the point of anything. Why do I have a penis. If a narwhale and a pony have sex, what happens? A unicorn? How is calamari made? If Ted Cruz died in a forest, would anyone care?

The point, I think:
    Go down this road too far, brother
    You'll never be able to come back.

1 person likes this.
  18. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The prices just aren't that interesting to hear about—unless maybe they are unusually low ($2 for a Kiton suit). Most of the time, it's understood that the prices are within the usual thrift shop ranges ($10–$30 for a suit, $5–$20 for a jacket, etc.)

1 person likes this.
  19. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

I buy 44L stuff from members here all the time...if the price is right of course.

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.