1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

A few finds...

Loro Piana 70/30 cashmere/silk. Weird as it must be a women's jumper, but it's a size 50. Odd shape to it, but it's Loro Piana, so I won't complain!

[​IMG]

Versace frames. Incredibly short arms on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberrys tie

[​IMG]

Tie for myself. These are the types of things I love finding. It's a beautiful (in my opinion, of course) tie from a local high end shop. Pretty recent and flawless....dirt cheap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bally

[​IMG]

Magnanni

[​IMG]

Paul Smith T-shirt

[​IMG]

Tod's. Funny story about these. The older guy that works at this place (it's small, I think they only have two employees), knows me by name but continues to call me Herr HansderHund, which is very polite. He's always nice and when I walked in, he goes "Hr. HansderHund, what size are you? I've had these since Tuesday hoping you'd drop by. They're Tod's. I don't know the brand, but they're €300 online and thought you might like them." I of course bought them (they might be women's, but he held onto them for me) and ended up giving me a discount and produced a shoe bag for them. I thought it was incredibly nice and might try to take him out for a beer for doing it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^^Hans, I always enjoy your thrift related stories.
    Stuff I found today:
    I finally, finally, finally, found my staple navy blazer. I was really almost about to go retail for one of these. I'm glad I waited. BB Country, made in the USA and bonus points for the LP fabric. From 03' so not super recent, by enough so, that the styling is spot on. N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Skeet, skeet!
    [​IMG]
    Lorenzini for Neiman Marcus, size 17, available for cost + shipping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I read The Trial a few years ago and really digged it and have been meaning to read the rest of his shit.
    [​IMG]
    Minty fresh USA made burgundy Timbo's, wearing these now, N/A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers everybody! Happy Saturday!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. HansderHund

I'm glad to hear that. It's part of the reason I enjoy the hobby so much. I meet people that collect certain types of items or are just looking for something decent and cheap. I was propositioned for sex by a prostitute at one point, but that's another story. :D

Anyway, cheers from here!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

All my stuff is finally shipped!!!! I now have zero inventory and it feels wonderful. I hope to keep you guys posted on some of my items that got good feedback, like the dries van noten tux, as they work their way through the consignment process :)

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I am extremely jealous, I am about to start to begin to get my huge inventory out. :embar:

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

WELL? WELL?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I hit few places this morning while running errands. Errands, I'm always "running errands." At least that's what I tell my wife! :nodding:

Filson wool pants. Looks like a heavy cavalry twill, maybe even their tin cloth fabric.
    [​IMG]

Burberry wool pants in plaid. Too big for me (unfortunately) so off to ebay.
    [​IMG]

PRL spring/fall jacket. Throat latch at collar.
    [​IMG]

Hugo Boss SC with Loro Piana Super 110's Twister fabric. 46EU R. Unvented. The lady I consign items to was just telling me how she's dying for 36s and 38s, so off to there it goes.
    [​IMG]

Ben Sherman The Original shirt. Perfect for summer so keeping.
    [​IMG]

Vintage Brooks Bros. hangar.
    [​IMG]

I can't believe I actually picked this up. A Haggar SC. How old is that company? It seems "vintagy". All I know them for is their flood of chinos at the thrifts. But where else but thrift store am I going to find a summer-weight baby blue SC for $5?
    [​IMG]

A little something for my wife, a pebble grain leather bag by Upla, a company from France that began in the early 1970s and seems to be being resurrected again. This one is vintage and with gorgeous construction. A lesson in always looking at quality first, even is you don't recognize the name.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

If anyone is looking for a gift for their lady, Nordstrom's has a nice Burberry tote for 65% off at $510, normally $1,500.

Leather Tote

9. HansderHund

:rotflmao:

I went to a thrift shop after work, so I was a bit dressed up. As I left, a woman followed me outside. She came up to me and asked if she could talk to me for a couple of minutes. She starts telling me that she's out of a job and needs some work. I said that I was sorry to hear about that, but I don't have any work. She asked me if I was sure a few times and said that she would like to talk to me in private. I didn't really get it, but said that I was sorry, but I really didn't have any work. Again, she said "Are you sure?" and again, I said I was. She then said that her apartment is close and that surely we could talk in private about a job. It then dawned on me what she was trying to say. As I walked away, I called my wife and asked her if I look like the type of man that would spontaneously pick up a prostitute. :happy:

Nice looking bag, very clean!

1 person likes this.
  10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    38R HORY SH**BALLS!

:slayer: :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

I JUST PAID MY STUDENT LOANS.....

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: :slayer:

THERE WILL BE SALES.

1 person likes this.
  11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

INCREDIMAZING HOT SELLING SUNDAY SCHOOL SILK KID TIE OF POWER --

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JUST PULL TO ZIP! NEVER COMES UNDONE! SO EASY, A KID YOU COULD DO IT!!

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Donna Tartt's The Secret History, 1st edition, 1st printing. Mint with jacket, OH SHIT.

[Think I'll wait for DT to breeze through town, have it signed].

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

+1. Very amusing, and in this case, I would take that to mean you were very well-dressed. :foo:

14. suited

suited Senior member

I saw a Robert Graham shirt with a $45 price tag at a goodwill. Surprising, those things are so ugly I figured most stores assumed they were worth nothing. I did find one last week for $3.50, though. Most of today's stuff is headed to da bay to cover my C&J loafers. Been kind of dry around here lately, I haven't found a full suit FOREVER.

Today I stopped at a place I have basically quit frequenting because I have never found a single thing there after 10+ visits, and found this today:

Charvet and Ferragamo ties ($1.50 each), Unvented PRL, Brioni 100% Linen and Ferragamo White Dress Shirt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other finds:

RLPL, Borrelli, Faconnable Linen, Ferragamo Puppy Tie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Finally made it back out this morning! Been a while. A few things to report but need to finish up pictures first

Never remember how to date these....Made in England and Pure Wool I think is older then the partial wool variety [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. los_face

los_face Well-Known Member

A handful of quality finds over the past few days

3 quality ties that are ready to rock this spring/summer...all silk but all have different textures to them...
    [​IMG]

3 generations of Luciano Barbera ties (judging by the labels)...yes, please
    [​IMG]

So fresh i want to say NWOT Patagonia better sweater full zip and a linen/cotton shawl collar sweater by Vince.
    [​IMG]

Any 36x30 looking for some selvedge jeans? Naked & Famous denim in Indigo (red selvedge)/Raw Grey (silver selvedge)/Raw Indigo (red selvedge)
    [​IMG]

Still need to take pics of (in my opinion) the best finds of the past couple days but here are 2 quick pics from the field...they are definitely not the norm in terms of finds from this thread (think SW&D) which to me makes them that much more exciting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. timmygoestothez

timmygoestothez Well-Known Member

Not much today, but did find some cool ties and a Canali linen shirt. I think I'm keeping all of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Can't vouch for the third one (except to say kill it with fire), but I saw those first two ties like a month ago and passed because of ink marks and/or stains.

19. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Not thrift but big discount brag [​IMG]

POLO RALPH LAUREN Custom-Fit 3-Piece Wool/Cashmere Suit Slim Italy

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.