1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Hey guys! Thanks for the concern, but all's well on my end. It's just so weird to look at all the bombing pictures because everything is so nearby (I bought my dish towels at that C&B in a few of the main explosion images). It was a sad day.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

FTFY

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Here's some Wisdom, Knowledge & Truth: Speaking of Robert Graham and the Maxx, I dropped by my fave looking for Kiton ties after recent poasts here got my hopes up...and found none. And they appear to have just loaded the racks with awesome markdowns of everything, they were stuffed (OK, I won't pay $139 for an RLBL cashmere sweater, but I acknowledge that's a hell of a deal if you're in the market).

However, I saw Robert Graham ties. They were marked down to $20, which, after checking completed eBay listings, realized doesn't work for me for flipping because I am too lazy to eBay myself and must share my spoils with my ass-busting consignors on this thread whom I really, really appreciate.

However, you eBay warriors might try it, heh...especially if you find those fugly RG ties are marked down even steeper. Almost bought a fantastic corneliani linen summer SC, was ready to fork over $180 but shoulders too narrow. Also, check near the registers for Happy Socks marked down to $3, some of them are too out of control loud but other patterns wearable with your thrift fits.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

These are awesome. Fresh out of high school I attended a private college in Florida with a strict dress code (ties and jackets required). They had no rules about socks other than you had to wear them. I always hit up the local thrifts to find the loudest socks as my only way to fight it. I wore Christmas socks every Friday counting the days til I could travel home for the holiday. Christmas was the only time, other than summer break, we were allowed to go home. I would have bought and worn all of the socks on this site for sure.

On a side not about this. We had several formal events, where we were to wear at least a suit...tuxedo if possible. I found a Velvet Baby Blue Bell Bottom Tuxedo at the goodwill for the event. It was the tits! Keep in mind, I was 17, 115 lbs, with all my hair, so I could pull of that outfit a little better than I could today (at twice the age/weight and half the hair.... lol). I have no idea what happened to the tux. Knowing me, there's a good chance I sold it at some point. I think there are pics of me in that suit somewhere at mom's house, I will try to dig them up next time I go home.

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

We love you, man, but seeing you in a velvet baby blue tux?

I dunno..

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

+1 [​IMG]

8. NormP

NormP Member

Hey gents,
    This is my first post at all on the forums. I've been lurking for a week or so. My interest in nice clothing has been rekindled thanks to my girlfriend and in browsing the net I stumbled upon styleforum, and then this amazing thread.

Anyway, I found this Donegal tweed at Goodwill a couple days ago and snagged it after a quick google of the brand. I'm curious if anyone can tell me whether this is a nice sport coat manufactured in Ireland or an Asian job using Magee cloth? I found an interesting tag that seems to indicate it was made for a shop in Ireland, but I can't tell if that also means it was produced there as well. I did a search of the forums and couldn't find the answer I sought.

The amount of information on this website is mind boggling, so I'll beg pardon in advance for my rank ignorance on most topics in the future.

Anyway, here are some cell phone pics I snapped on the way out the door this morning:

[​IMG]

9. NormP

NormP Member

Ok, for some reason I can't seem to get multiple pictures to attach. Let's try again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

^ Made by Magee with Donegal Tweed.
    A nice coat if it fits. Less brand awareness than Harris Tweed if you intend to flip it.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

True, it's not as nice for flipping. I like Donegal Tweed better than Harris Tweed for actually wearing... It's softer, and just about as tough as Harris.

12. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Quick stop today just a partenopea suit

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Moriarty Textiles? Sounds like the perfect thing to wear to the Holmes County Fabric Show this year! :lol: BTW...I am registered in the 2013 April No Purchase Club. I'm halfway through the month and at this point, I have to try to find alternate routes to places that I need to go that will NOT take me past a thrift store. It really doesn't help that there is a new Savers just up the street from work. :fu: OTOH, I have wads of money that I haven't spent on shoes and shirts and such.

14. FillW

FillW Senior member

That jacket is the same color/herringbone tweed as the one I'm wearing today. Fits me pretty good. I bought it at a Goodwill as well for $9.00. [​IMG]

15. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Found a couple of interesting things (no Partenopea suits, though).
    My first Willis & Geiger anything - navy blazer. Oddly proportioned piece though. Tagged 42, but with 24" p2p and 20.5" shoulders. 3 roll 2, action back, side vented, surgeon cuffs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Vintage Brooks Brothers madras pants

[​IMG][​IMG]

Vintage Brooks Brothers green silk SC for the true baller

[​IMG][​IMG]

And just for the outdoor enthusiasts, these women's rock shoes by evolv

[​IMG]

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Excellent! I have the mens version of these... Well, that and about five other pairs of rock shoes.

17. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

Got my first Barbour today! Only a sweater though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thomas pink, herringbone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna with a textured weave
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Do you know about when they used the orange label? Found an unstructured tan sport coat with that label on it last weekend. Too many problems to pick it up but I was curious about the age because I don't see that label much.

19. timmygoestothez

timmygoestothez Well-Known Member

Picked up two Hickey Freeman Collection orphans today. (Actually, I picked these up as suits. But the pants.... let us not speak of the pants. You don't want them. Trust me. [​IMG])

Size 42R. Available for cost + shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

My stores produce timeless Stafford and crusty old man Zegna to be raided for their buttons ... :plain:

That said, some firsts:

Oxxford trousers, wool, 38R, very nice brown with amazing watermelon-colored lining. AVAILABLE.

Awesome kid's tie by Nordstrom. Couldn't pass it up -- it's thin and Spoo-tastic and when you pull on the bottom half it activates this hidden zipper ringing the neck. AVAILABLE.

New Women's $300 wool pants by Theory. So nice, 'till I tried them on. Going to the love interest. (NA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.