• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That vintage Pucci as well as the Dunn & co are easy Benjamins. Nice.

Really? Dunn & Co? I've got a sweet sc by them that I've been meaning to take to the cleaners. Might have to do that.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shout out to caseyfud for a fantastic deal on those RLPL sunglasses! These are seriously awesome, feel really well made.

Glad to see they made it to you. Luckily for my bank account, I can't wear sunglasses because I need to wear actual prescription glasses, because I tried those on for a minute and I thought they looked pretty good.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about this one?? It's in great shape and the buttons are awesome.

Harris Tweed Coat. I'm not sure of the size but it is way too small for me. Arms - 22". 22" armpit to armpit. 18 1/2" across the shoulders. 34" Long.

Dunn & Co. Harris Tweed FTW!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

This is good, but I had to say that with the face blurred, this reminds me of Rorschach's outfit.

HAHAHAHA!

ChazFromCali

Reaction score
Greetz!

A week ago I scored a Harris tweed at Value Village, the sleeves are a tiny bit long but it fits otherwise. I'm about a 44R. I was jazzed to find it amongst the dreck. I emailed the Harris Co. in Scotland to see if I could get some info on the date of manufacture. I was under the impression that there is a serial number of sorts in the jacket that can be checked? Mine is 117324. I emailed the number to them but they were unable to tell me. Don't know why exactly, their explanation was something about pre 2008 or whatever. Sorry about the bad pix.

I guess I'm on their email list now. They sent me some spam pitching these. Tweed covered earphones for your I-Pod.

cheers.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by HansderHund's thrift fit that I did one of my own. Although no where near as awesome as his outfit, I tried...This is my Xmas outfit. My mirror wasn't big enough so I had to take a top and bottom pic. It's frustrating that this is my best fitting jacket with no divots in the shoulders yet it's ugly as hell...
ffffuuuu.gif

Yikes! Look at the size of those lapels! I bet with those bad boys I can fly to LA for my vacation without having to spend money with Southwest...

I think the pants are a bit too long.

Shirt: MTM from a local tailor.
Jacket: HF Customized vintage lumberjack SC from a vintage store. Thrifted by me.
Pants: Berle tartan wool pants thrifted by me.
Tie: DKNY silk. Thrifted by me.
Shoes: AE Grayson tassel loafers. Got them from Wes.
PS: Jos. A. Banks silk. Got them on clearance.

Last edited:

Friskydingo

Reaction score
Also, this is from today. 2x suits, 3x pants. Suits are tagged 42R, looking to trade for 42L. I would post more pictures, but I'm still on "picture probation".

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
So... What's the deal with this "Shop Airlines America" username ... Has a **** load of positive feedback ... Instant payment for that Tumi jacket. $297 but seems sketchy as ****.

... Patiently waits for brianpore to link me to eBay thread :)

Cedric

Reaction score
Congrats on your Kiton ! Please post more pics!

I too shop at Harry Rosen and had no idea they sold Kiton. As far as I knew in Montreal only Uomo-Mtl carried Kiton.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So... What's the deal with this "Shop Airlines America" username ... Has a **** load of positive feedback ... Instant payment for that Tumi jacket. $297 but seems sketchy as ****.
... Patiently waits for brianpore to link me to eBay thread
smile.gif
International buyers shop through them, you ship to them, they ship to buyer at what I assume is a cheaper bulk rate. I deal with them all the time. They have dozens of usernames, one for each country they ship to.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Double vented navy suit with a light blue windowpane overcheck
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Only MTM, starting at $6500. They have a lot of brands in the MTM program that they don't carry OTR (brioni, lanvin, isaia, tom ford, etc)

You sure about this? I picked up a Brioni for Harry Rosen once that I could swear was OTR.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

I just, hopefully, gave myself a bit of good thrifting karma. I picked up a pretty worn pair of Gucci loafers, and while the inside was a bit less than perfect and there were a few scuffs and dings and the soles were pretty worn, they would still fetch some money on ebay. But I saw a duder with his cart piled high with suits. So, instead of paying for the shoes, I gave them to him. He seemed a bit confused that I would do that. Hopefully this kind gesture (or was it? see below) will pay dividends.

below:

I can't be the only completely hopeless hypocrite here, right? I saw that the guy was likely a flipper, and I couldn't hide my disgust. I gave him the shoes the shoes as I sign that I knew what he was doing, and that I disapproved of his actions. But wait a second ... wasn't I going to do the same thing? Didn't I just sell some things on ebay? My cart is never piled high (mostly because I never find anything of worth in that kind of quantity), but I should definitely lump myself into the same category as that guy. I started thrifting in order to dress better, but I also am fond of money, so I'm at a loss.

But perhaps I'm just a bit bored at work.

Oh, I did pick up some good records for a change. None are in minty condition, but I'll be putting these in my collection, so a bit of album cover scuff is fine.

Aretha: Young, Gifted and Black
Herbie: Man Child
Weil: Deutsche Grammophon recording of Seven Deadly Sins
Stockholm Phil doing Mahler's sixth

I love flippers and I hate them. Actually, everyone I know who seriously thrifts also flips. Most are great people - willing to pass on a great deal if it isn't one of their specialties, hard working and with a strong sense of style.

That being said, there are some people who are so nasty and aggressive when they are thrifting, they make it a bad experience for everyone. I don't like it if:
1) if you complain to the manager of the store because someone else got something nice.
2) you physically shove my mother
3) you call the employees of the store stupid

The volume sellers confuse me, but... I can deal with them. Unless they are in line in front of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads