• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One has little control on the outcome of an auction.

Best you can do is take great pics, good descriptions, and be a trusted seller of luxury goods. Beyond that, absolutely zilch can be done in a general auction - the outcome is reliant on the bidders, or rather, what bidders.

On another weekend, two bigwigs duke it out and the price goes beyond $2K, on a bad weekend, the bidding war is the battle of bottom feeders and you end up selling the item for a song.

Way it goes. Law of averages suggests in long term a good estimate and final value will be correlated. However, in a single auction one could not expect to hit this law of average with high probability (this would typically be quite a low probability less than 5 in 10). One has to look at a variance and items could go well above or well below estimate.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Exactly. This way is great because I'm not wondering "what if". They went to the best possible person they could have gone to to list them up and work some magic. Major props to Spoo!

Not to derail, but I recently consigned a couple of items with Spoo and I was overly joyed and excited with outcome. I think if it was anyone else, I would have made significantly less.

not to further derail, but keep in mind that there's likely a selection bias (and possibly a placebo effect) at work here. unless someone else steps in and provides consignment competition for spoo, statements likely this are likely just pure speculation. not that all parties involved aren't happy under the current situation.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

not to further derail, but keep in mind that there's likely a selection bias (and possibly a placebo effect) at work here. unless someone else steps in and provides consignment competition for spoo, statements likely this are likely just pure speculation. not that all parties involved aren't happy under the current situation.

You won't always win... but it's stupid easy, and that I can appreciate :)

dubcbadass

Reaction score
nothing big here, just forgot to post about two french cuff charles tyrwhitt shirts sized 17.5/36. one is staple white still very bright, other is thin blue stripes with a yellow stripe interspersed, iirc. will pass on at cost as i picked these up as a favor for anyone on here that could use em.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
Just saw it (you can click on the jpeg). That doesn't look like a yachting jacket to me. That looks like a formal jacket. Big difference. I might be mistaken, since I wasn't around in 1936, but I think that a yachting jacket is characterized by bold vertical stripes. What makes you think it's a yachting jacket?
Even if it is a formal jacket, it looks pretty darn cool.
The buttons engraved with these words " American yatch Club"

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Noted, though completed listings prove that the two items he consigned to me were the third and fourth highest prices for that items sales, out of 318 listings.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Braved the Halloween crowds yesterday, only to discover there weren't really any Halloween crowds. Managed to find all the necessary ingredients for a pretty decent Han Solo costume. Also passed on a wicked recent Gucci overcoat that had a small hole in the back, but which they still wanted $40 for.

EDIT: In other news, I have not been able to thrift, list or post here as much as I would have liked to, as I just started an internship. But not thrifting because you're in your dream job (albeit not being paid) is a trade I'll gladly take.

Thrift fit.
3 piece black bespoke suit
BB spread collar slim fit with french cuffs
Brioni tie
Vintage sterling cufflinks
AE Greyson
probably about $50-60 for everything

I like it until the shoes. Would prefer to see some oxfords or even derbies there. Hope you knocked whoever you were meeting on their asses though.

Dang.....I had no idea what to expect, even though my idea was the sky is the limit, but profit's profit.

Just thought of this: Possible that the hurricane is slowing things down?

Sorry Nat. I kept checking my phone in the minutes leading up to the end, expecting each time to see the huge jump that just never came.

Like you Mr. Pug, I wonder if the storm had something to do with it. I know I was checking eBay auctions for steals tonight in hopes that many people would be too afraid of not having a house in the next couple of days to buy some shell shoes.

Yeah I was being serious. More or less thanking the thread for keeping calm and carrying on in this episode.

Heh, I assumed he meant to post in the eBay thread and just goofed up.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day?
b7ann.jpg

Good day if fits me!

Older but awesome Paul Stuart Tweed Suit (had to put this one back together as they split it up). Also looked for a vest but didn't see one. Any tell tail way to know if it was a 3 piece? Pants are double reverse pleated but have side tabs vs belt loops and also the hip coin pocket.

What size is that, Brian?

Just picked up a couple of Canali shirts in good condition. Possibly available.

I left behind two beautiful Canali shirts last night. They wanted $18 a piece...

Here's the like new Goat Suede PRL button up I found... fits and feels like butter but an orange one just sold on fleabay for almost $550 so it may have to go....

Wow! That fits you really well! But at $500? SOLD!!!

Tom James suit, 2 x EZ ties, 2 x Tom James ties, 1 x Brioni, Filo A' Mano for Tom James and a BB country club shirt for me, and two Ascot Changs for some lucky 16 necked regular who likes cutaway collars.

Being from a smaller community than most of you guys are I always feel a bit elated when I see the name of a recently deceased local bigtimer inside a suit followed by guilt because my first thought is 'how many days will it take them to get the whole donation out on the floor?'
I also left an Alexandre saville row shirt on the rack, should I go back for it?

No, leave that on the rack for the next poor fellow who gets excited seeing it. Speaking of getting excited, I left a BB Camel hair jacket. It was made in Mexico and priced at $25. I'm pretty sure they lowered it from $50 after 2 weeks or so on the rack. Some guy got super excited and told a young man to kop to sell it on the interweb.
ffffuuuu.gif

what is your favorite item you have ever thifted? also what is your favorite Item you didn't thrift, or were handed down/bought ect.

My favorite thrifted item is my Bissell vacuum cleaner which I've thrifted from my neighbor for zip.

My favorite hand me down is my 2002 Hyundai Accent I got in 2007. It's still running strong just under 200,000.

dubcbadass

Reaction score
was going through my phone and came across some of the stuff i have passed on recently. should i go back and try to kop any of it? sorry for the poor photo quality. they are all cell phone snaps

this overcoat, for which the thrift wants $60

i think it is tagged 46

these bespoke (i assume) suits, most were 3 piece, odd since the vests fit me, but the jackets don't (they fit more like 40r or 40s), from guatemala. tons of handwork, fully canvassed, etc. there were about 5 of them.

exemplary piece

maker tag

there was another one i didn't get a pic of that was a fine navy polka dot pattern. pretty cool. would proxy if anyone wants to gamble on fit.
also reminds me i need to start thriftin with a tape measure in hand.

HF "flight coat" my size, fit like a glove out the box, worth it for 25 bones in decent used condition?

baller status suede (pretty sure real quede, though no materials tag) casual jackets one in navy, other in cream from saks fifth avenue, both real clean, thrift wants $15 each, tagged size 43R, would try to pick up for someone if interested

also, this may be a dumb question, but i can't find the answer myself for the life of me. i often see fairly high quality garments with this tag (from suits to ties) and don't know what it is. anyone care to enlighten me?

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was going through my phone and came across some of the stuff i have passed on recently. should i go back and try to kop any of it? sorry for the poor photo quality. they are all cell phone snaps
this overcoat, for which the thrift wants $60

i think it is tagged 46
these bespoke (i assume) suits, most were 3 piece, odd since the vests fit me, but the jackets don't (they fit more like 40r or 40s), from guatemala. tons of handwork, fully canvassed, etc. there were about 5 of them.

exemplary piece

maker tag

there was another one i didn't get a pic of that was a fine navy polka dot pattern. pretty cool. would proxy if anyone wants to gamble on fit.
also reminds me i need to start thriftin with a tape measure in hand.
HF "flight coat" my size, fit like a glove out the box, worth it for 25 bones in decent used condition?

baller status suede (pretty sure real quede, though no materials tag) casual jackets one in navy, other in cream from saks fifth avenue, both real clean, thrift wants $15 each, tagged size 43R, would try to pick up for someone if interested

also, this may be a dumb question, but i can't find the answer myself for the life of me. i often see fairly high quality garments with this tag (from suits to ties) and don't know what it is. anyone care to enlighten me?

Syms department store??

Friskydingo

Reaction score
The thrift gods smiled today. I have found several Brioni ties in the past, but never anything else. Popped my cherry. The suits are heartbreakingly too short for me
ffffuuuu.gif
but are stacked into the big box full of stuff I am sending to Spoo (if he doesn't get washed away).

First suit

5B5B571A-2AB6-42F7-ABE7-2BF04FD075B7-13048-00000A82BA9D8A50.jpg

Suit #2

71F146E5-5E55-47C1-A6AF-E9ADE07A34BD-13048-00000A8327DD0426.jpg

Grey trousers

A8A83205-188A-4D5F-9864-D7E1E7C80D9D-13048-00000A833A599D28.jpg

Tan trousers

A1687C62-35F7-46B4-99C7-89F6DDE72C85-13048-00000A835E3D28B8.jpg

Navy trousers

BCFC03EF-8A48-4447-83F5-8C1F1CA656E4-13048-00000A83786CB095.jpg

Incotex trousers

B5DBD95D-3041-416E-B128-EFC36F42B8C6-13048-00000A838756078F.jpg

Bright pink Jil Sander

7FC7EA10-46B4-49A9-8259-5CE496157CD8-13048-00000A838D8D3FCA.jpg

Not a brag, but spotted this at a local men's consignment shop. This thing was absolutely gorgeous
drool.gif

F7A723A9-7F7B-4D82-8187-9B65AA35C4F3-13048-00000A83953FDCF2.jpg

Towers

Reaction score

Flight coat is definitely worth it.

Agreed, I have one in navy. Would kop again.

Good day if fits me!

The jacket fits me well, maybe 3/4" longer than I would prefer but pretty good otr, but the pants have a crazy rise on them. Not complaining for what I paid, but a little worried it might look like a stodgy suit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads